• Register Today It's free!

92 to 94 engine swap

chevymans

Reaction score
City, State
kingston washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
wifes 94 runs poor. 188,000 miles. got a 92 with 77,000 miles . anyone that has done this engine swap? any tips, suggestions would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done the swap but everything should almost match perfect. The only thing is you should keep the ac compressor and components from the 94 and put it on the 92. The 94 is the newer R-134 and the 92 is R-12.

Do any of the engines have a EGR valve, if so you will have to swap all EGR compnents, basically the upper intake and wiring harness, other than that they should swap over fairly easy. Or you can swap upper intake manifold without EGR and swap drivers side exhaust manifold. The drivers side exhaust manifold has a tube that goes to the EGR set up on the upper intake. It should be a straight swap if they are both the same, if you do have to swap upper intakes and wiring harness it is easy about a extra 1 1/2 hours work tops.

I just did this on my 1993, donor motor had a EGR and I didnt want it, so had to swap components. Good Luck, we will be here for support and questions.

Remove the hood, mark the hood hindges before you remove so you can put it back, remove the radiator, upper intake manifold, dont forget the fuel line tool. You may need to cut the exhaust piping if the Y pipes bolts freeze.

not to doubt you, but are you for sure the 92 model is infact 77k? up to 93 was a 5 digit odometer reading.

Mine read 94k and change when I got it. I ran a VIN check and it was 194k. I had a mileage report that reflected after it had rolled over 100k. I have since swapped in a 94 model speedometer cluster with the 6th digit. Which reads 199400 or something like that.

As it was said if yours has EGR stuff you put the intake and exhaust manifolds onto the 92 model motor, and I'm pretty sure that's it. If you have the time and a few extra dollars check the heads on the 92. The early model explorers had a bad rap for cracking heads. I know more people on here can explain this in further detail, as I only know what I have read on here.

Good luck.

i will thanks! was just looking at that and figuring how to get it pushed aside without disconnecting the lines.

the 92 does not have the egr so i will use that and the wiring harness and exhaust manifolds from the 94. i have to swap intakes and do i need to for the oil pan and cam sensor?

will do thanks. its so much easier with the hood off getting that cherry picker in there

thanks for saying good luck! i keep walking around the car waiting for the motor to come out by itself! mileage is what they told me. i been to that junkyard for twenty years and always did me right plus the sparkplugs look great and engine is clean. only cost 350 and it gets my El Camino SS back from the wife.

Back