'93 Explorer: crank, but no start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Explorer: crank, but no start

Fresh gas will dissolve the gas sludge if it is in the fuel lines upto the injectors, cycling the fuel pump on a few times a day for 2 weeks will clear that up. I had it happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing the upper plenum on a ohv takes 12-20 minutes, its easy especially on a 93 with no egr
However to see the valvetrain your gonna need to remove valve covers too

Compression test
Fuel pressure test

After that I would want to remove upper plenum and fuel rail, see what gives in there. I would bench clean each injector

true, forgot about that... i mean also they could see buildup thru the intake on the intake valve, but couldnt see exhaust... but with valve covers off, perfect time to check for skudge too! (not related to running, but something to do while youre there)

Guys, I need your help.
I'm trying to start a '93 Explorer that was last started in 2009. The previous owner claims that at that moment the car was running fine (was not used after that because of taxes: ~1600$/year... which is a lot for Romania).
So, here is what works:
> I have spark
> I have fuel (new pump, new fuel filter, checked the fuel return line and the pump is working fine). I did not use the tank, I just connected a new fuel pump to the fuel filter and put it in a 5liters bottle)
> Engine crancks just fine
> I have signal to the injectors (tested with a LED on one of the connectors)
> No Check Engine codes
> New spark plugs
> I have tried to started with brake cleaner spray in the intake and nothing happens
(New air filter, new engine oil, new transmission fluid)
I have checked that safety switch and it is not activated (the one that stops fuel in case on a crash).
After a lot of crancking, nothing comes out the exhaust and, also, I took out one of the spark plugs and is bone dry and clean.
All I can think of is that the timing chain is broken and the valves are shut so nothing is getting inside the cylinders.
Any idea how I can test this?
Or what else should I try?

Did you spray brake cleaner into it? I’m not sure that burns. I am guessing that you meant carburetor cleaner. If not try that or starting fluid. Maybe you have a vapor lock in your line somewhere.

Vapor lock doesn't happen in efi systems with return style fuel rail just fyi

I've been pretty busy these last few days and had no time for the Explorer. I coudn't find a gauge to measure compression, so I decided to buy one (around 20$) and I'm waiting for the delivery.
Yes, I've tried to start it with brake cleaner, thinking that should work. I think I have some carb cleaner so I'll try with that.

both shoudl at least make ti sputter... both are highly flammavle ;)

if timing is off, it wont fire... however, if it ran prior to sitting i wouldnt suspect theres a timing chain issue... the valves could have been stuck shut with carbon, but wouldnt that either break somethih, which you would hear something, or just prevent it from crabking? im really not sure on this one... i however suspect that it may be a timing or spark issue if it didnt cough at all... but also 410 has great reasijs to suspect fuel as well, so im not sure on this one! how hard is it to remove upper intake plenum on these ohvs? if so, it may be worth a looksie to see valves...
Any update? we swapped a perfect running 92' 4.0 ohv into a 84 bronco. wired in pcm and have fuel pressure/spark/crank it will cough after sitting but won't run. engine was gone through and resealed by a novice, but he had a chitin and followed it religiously.

Similar issue, 84 bronco swapped with a 92 exp 4.0. fuel/spark 100psi compression. crank no start. replaced coil/EDIS/ect.
update?

Does it run on starting fluid? What is your fuel pressure at the rail?

Hello,
Sorry for the absence, I'm pretty loaded at work.
I had very little time for the Explorer and here are some updates:
- tested compression: ~95PSI
- tested fuel rail pressure (event though I'm not so sure that the gauge was working well): ~35PSI (my other Explorer starts fine with that amount of pressure)
- used some Brake Cleaner (again) and it fired a little (so there is spark)
In about 3 weeks I'll finish my current work related project and I'll be able to have some more time for the Explorer

Update!
I took the injectors off the engine and cleaned them (I have some ultrasound cleaning device, something very cheap). I used gas and cleaned them for about 20minutes.
After that, put them back in and... IT STARTED! I have to admit, it was an awesome feeling!
It's the first time for me to make an engine start again after more than 10 years.

Awesome! Thanks for update... That helps make this Forum great…. and congratulations!!!

Well done.

I've made a short Youtube series about what I have done to the car, though is not ready yet. So far I've mede videos about the transmission oil change and the front brakes (they were seized). Anyone curios can view it here:

nice progress! will have to check this out.

Guys, I need your help.
I'm trying to start a '93 Explorer that was last started in 2009. The previous owner claims that at that moment the car was running fine (was not used after that because of taxes: ~1600$/year... which is a lot for Romania).
So, here is what works:
> I have spark
> I have fuel (new pump, new fuel filter, checked the fuel return line and the pump is working fine). I did not use the tank, I just connected a new fuel pump to the fuel filter and put it in a 5liters bottle)
> No Check Engine codes
> New spark plugs
> I have tried to started with brake cleaner spray in the intake and nothing happens
I have checked that safety switch and it is not activated (the one that stops fuel in case on a crash).
After a lot of crancking, nothing comes out the exhaust and, also, I took out one of the spark plugs and is bone dry and clean.
All I can think of is that the timing chain is broken and the valves are shut so nothing is getting inside the cylinders.
You can pull the timing cover to see if the timing change is in tact if so Then it may be a computer problem I'd tow it into a shop and have them diagnose the problem. It may be something simple.
I'm sorry I couldn't be much help.
Best of luck.
Please tell us what the problem was.
Thank you.

@Clayton66 You're a little late to the game, he figured it out already.

Kudos, @Zvony - nothin' like that feeling of getting an engine running again, and good job on documenting things to help others as well. Give a little, take a little! Peace!

Guys, I need your help.
So, here is what works:
> I have spark
> No Check Engine codes
> New spark plugs
i have had problems with crank sensor it sits low / could take a rock and can give the issue ive replaced it and started right up ...also have had the prob when not plugging it back in before :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back