93 Explorer TDI Swap | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer TDI Swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this your first diesel?
They are soooo much better then gas engines its not even funny, imo trucks and equipment should run on diesel!

I’m excited for you! So much want
Diesel cans way cheaper then gas cans ;)

The operating cost per mile with a diesel will be a lot less than the gas engine, even with higher fuel prices. If you come by large quantities of used transmission fluid or motor oil for free, it runs good on that too.

You just have to get used to saying “fuel” instead of “gas”

It’s now a “fuel feed pedal” not a “gas pedal”
We now need to get some “fuel” (not gas)
This way you are always correct ;) no matter what your driving

And you have to get used to sitting at 3500 rpm for many many miles… the high revs are part of the deal… don’t worry they can take it

The best advice I got when I started driving and towing w diesel is “get into the boost before the hill” and this is to true you want to build the boost up before you make the climb…. Very good to know in Colorado. Build up 10-20 psi of boost before the climb will keep your egt low. High Egt are the enemy (1250 and higher can melt your exhaust) my 97 f350 will peg 28 psi easily and I can sit at 1200 degree egt all day, no problems hauling heavy loads over the divide…

This is the first diesel that I’ve owned. Been around a lot of them though!

I was having the “gas” versus “fuel” conversation with my wife last night when we went and filled up the Explorer! Trying to get her used to it as well!

Thanks for the tips! The little bit I drove around last night definitely showed me to get it into boost early. Not sure how much boost it’s making though. Waiting on a boost gauge, EGT gauge, and Autometer DashLink so I can monitor everything I need to know.

You just have to get used to saying “fuel” instead of “gas”

It’s now a “fuel feed pedal” not a “gas pedal”
We now need to get some “fuel” (not gas)
This way you are always correct ;) no matter what your driving

And you have to get used to sitting at 3500 rpm for many many miles… the high revs are part of the deal… don’t worry they can take it

The best advice I got when I started driving and towing w diesel is “get into the boost before the hill” and this is to true you want to build the boost up before you make the climb…. Very good to know in Colorado. Build up 10-20 psi of boost before the climb will keep your egt low. High Egt are the enemy (12500 and higher can melt your exhaust) my 97 f350 will peg 28 psi easily and I can sit at 12000 degree egt all day, no problems hauling heavy loads over the divide…
I think you have an extra 0 in those temps, unless you drive it like you rented it. EGT and oil temps go up before the coolant temp does.

You were right! I lowered my temps lol 1200 degrees not 12000

I drive 7.3s so I do not have to watch my coolant temps hahahaha he 7.3s don’t run hot and I don’t have to watch my deltas like 6.0 dudes do

Driveshafts are modified and reinstalled. Ended up having the rear extended 3.5” and the front shortened just a hair over 4”.

Couldn’t get the transfer case skid back on though. The transfer case ended up slightly lower than it used to be. Will need to make some spacers and grab longer bolts to put it back on.

Now onto some of the changes inside:

If you follow my registry, you’ll recall I built this center console. It had gone through a few iterations before its most recent form when the five speed swap happened. I had to get rid of it completely. After moving the drivetrain forward two inches, the shifter was contacting the CB radio. Took the CB out but then decided there was really no point in having the console anymore. All that was left in the console was a couple 12v and USB charge ports. Need a new shift boot and somewhere else to put some charge ports in. I’ll be firing the 3D printers up and seeing what I can come up with. I plan on getting one of those remote mount CB’s and a remote mount GMRS.
IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

The switch panel I built earlier while I was waiting for parts is now installed. I really like the look and location of the switches.
IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

And now the a-pillar gauge pod houses a boost/vac gauge and a pyrometer.
IMG_5612.jpeg

Along with those gauges I will be using Autometer DashLink with the Dash Command app on my phone. There are so many parameters I can monitor with the VW motor. I like to know what’s going on with it.

Need to re-center the steering wheel and fix the parking brake. After that it’s just some cosmetic/nice to have stuff. I’ll be driving the Explorer around the next couple weeks!

Well done! The boost and egt gauges are all you need to monitor, well the egt is the most important the boost gauge is just fun

Where do you have your pyrometer mounted? I think it’s like 12-24” from the hot side of the turbo is what I was told is ideal

Rangers have all sorts of 5 speed boots and consoles some w cup holders, could maybe make something work?

This is how I did the 03 trac w ranger bits
2EEFDFCE-9414-42D1-A1BC-2696828C83B0.jpeg

I’ve got the probe here:
IMG_5613.jpeg

I’ve heard the 12-24” rule too. Most of the kits I see for TDIs have the probe on the exhaust manifold where the EGR used to be. I’m not really sure which is best.

Something from a Ranger might work! I like the one you’ve got there. I’ve got one in storage from a 98 Explorer that came with the 5 speed. I’ll need to dig that out and look at it. Just trying to find a way to still use the nice leather shift boot that mom made.

Shift boot/center console done! The one I had on hand worked perfect! I think it’s for a 98ish Explorer or Ranger. Took the rubber shift boot out and used the hardware to attach my leather shift boot. Just a little bit of the hole in the carpet is still showing. I’m going to have to think about something to cover that. It’s not bad but bugs me enough.

IMG_5623.jpeg
IMG_5624.jpeg

Still need to find a good place for some charge ports.

Tried to fix the parking brake but no luck. It still sticks. For now just being mindful about where I park and using curbs to make sure it won’t roll away. It won’t roll when left in gear but I like to play it safe.

I have been driving the Explorer to work this week. It’s amazing! It’s almost terrifying how fast it moves. Still slower than my GTI but something this big shouldn’t move that quick! And the looks I’ve gotten are amazing!

After a few days driving it around I quickly realized there’s two things I absolutely need to do:

Sound deadening. It’s louder than the V6 for sure and with the polyurethane engine mounts it rattles pretty good. Figure I’ll do the firewall back to under the front seats and see what it does. Should help a lot.

Gears. 3.73s with 33s isn’t ideal even with the TDI. Still better than the V6 but it’s hard to get the Explorer rolling off the line. The last time I stalled a vehicle this much was the first time I drove stick. I ran the calculation and the ideal ratio it spit out was 4.33. You can get a 4.30 for the 8.8 but haven’t seen one for the TTB. The TTB options I’m finding are 4.10 or 4.56. I’m leaning towards 4.56. Don’t fear the fear type of deal. 4.56 is still in the “optimal” range. This will be a project for next year. There’s a guy here locally that specializes in RBV stuff. Figure I’ll have him do gears and lockers for me. I’ve planned to do gears and lockers for a while. Now it will be a priority before the Explorer sees any trail time.

4.56 for sure!!! Yukon, nitro, precision or ford gear sets. Time to consider a front locker?

Sound deadening will work wonders
Charge ports can go on sides or front of your center console? Facing shifter

So glad you are driving it around and glad to hear she’s got some power ;) I think a tdi bii is in my future!!

There is another cup
Holder shifter like that with cups on both sides and a slightly larger base… if I have one in our collection I’ll donate it to the cause!

Yep was thinking Yukon gears and lockers front and rear. Thinking a Detroit or something similar in the rear. Was thinking something selectable up front. Leaning towards an Eaton E-locker up front.

I think I can squeeze one maybe two into the front of the center console. The ports I’ve got on hand are real long. Gonna dig around on Amazon for some different options.

Get a TDI Bii and we’ll need to line these two up! I’ve seen a couple Bii swaps out there.

The bigger one will probably work then. If you have one great! If not I can check the junkyard here

Curious to see how the powerstroke in the Jeep would do against the TDI. Jeep is 1,000 lbs heavier. Maybe we'll need to meet up sometime when these projects are complete.

Got a couple USB charge ports installed on the shifter console. Wanted to add at least one cig lighter style port but no good place and I can’t remember the last time I used one.

IMG_5636.jpeg
IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5640.jpeg

Still need to order a new CB. Not urgent though.

Quick trip to the hardware store for steel spacers and longer bolts and now the transfer case skid plate is back on.

Really all that’s left on my list is to fix the parking brake, get the glow plug light working, and sound deadening.

I’ll grab some videos while driving it. Im sure you all are curious to see it moving around!

Really all that’s left on my list is to fix the parking brake, get the glow plug light working, and sound deadening.
Great job, really well done. For sound-deadening I’ve used the heavier gauge Kilmat stuff - - and really no noticeable change in sound from what I could tell (but went from stock to lifted with 33” Mud Terrains during the install). And it adds weight…

Best of luck though…

Well shoot the Kilmat is what I had saved to give it a shot. Think maybe I’ll see how I feel about the noise in 6 months. Right now it doesn’t bother me, but I’m still in that “ooh it makes cool sounds” phase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the thinner Kilmat on the floor of my Explorer. It reduced the noise level and cut way down on heat coming through the floor. I put two layers over the transmission tunnel and firewall.

Back