93 Explorer TDI Swap | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer TDI Swap

Well fixed the hard to get rolling off the line issue… or rather it fixed itself. Driving home a couple days ago heard a loud pop and what sounded like a spring had released. Next couple stops were super easy to get moving all of the sudden. Got home looked everything over and realized the parking brake had been dragging slightly. I had adjusted it out what I thought was far enough so it wouldn’t drag. But I guess it was still dragging even though it wouldn’t hold the vehicle from rolling. So that problem is solved. It’s been driving amazing ever since!

I haven’t tried to engage the parking brake. Will probably wait until I replace the rear brakes to try the parking brake. They’re about due for some new parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Self healing.

It’s taken a bit to come up with the MPG numbers. With work only being four miles from home, a couple trips to the grocery store, and no long drives yet it’s been hard to put a lot of miles on the Explorer. Having driven 235 miles (this is how far I used to get on a tank) and the gauge still sitting on 3/4 of a tank, I put some fuel in out of curiosity and to make sure my gauge is working right.

So first of all, the gauge is not working correctly. It does move, but either the float is kind of stuck or the sender isn’t functioning correctly anymore. Add this to the list for further down the road.

I put 10.25 gallons in. Which means I’m getting right at 23 MPG (22.92). That’s about 430 miles a tank. Close to almost double what I was getting with the V6.

I’m very happy with this number. When I started the swap I had said I’d be happy to get anything over 20. I think getting the gearing changed might help improve the number a bit.

23 mpg is a decent number

Turbo diesel baby! Gotta love it

23 MPG is excellent for a 1st gen. This thread is getting me thinking about when it comes time to swap my 4.0. I was thinking of a GM supercharged 3800 V6, but this swap seems easier because you already did it. It would also make it a better all around rig because of the mileage increase.

That 3800 V6 swap would be really cool too! Wouldn’t it bolt right up to your transmission?

I know a TDI would fit really well with your shock towers and give your Explorer even more cool factor than it already has. Easy to find an old ALH/BEW/BHW. There’s also a ton of the 2.0 CJAA motors out there from the whole VW “diesel gate” thing. I just want to see more TDI Explorers now!

The 3800 would be a nice swap.

Alh bew bhw

What are those?

Different engine families

Some basic info

I’ve seen a few of these for sale. The prices are getting attractive.

As pushrod 4.0 and 5.0 getting harder to find and auto trans are getting more gears I’ve been ramping up for all new conversions for these rangers
With fuel prices and inflation I’m leaning towards 4 cyl and turbo, duratec is most attractive to me right now because I have a 2010 ranger 4 banger in my shop, needs a head, they are pretty tough little buggers and the already fit the ranger chassis
The Chevy 4 bangers are also very attractive as is the 5.3
It’s time to build some diesel rbv so The tdi, Cummins repower, 4bt (big heavy) and other small diesel engines also been considered I think tdi is the way to go, so thank you for that!
6 speed manuals and 6-10 Speed autos with boost all on the table
This could get expensive fast!

As pushrod 4.0 and 5.0 getting harder to find and auto trans are getting more gears I’ve been ramping up for all new conversions for these rangers
With fuel prices and inflation I’m leaning towards 4 cyl and turbo, duratec is most attractive to me right now because I have a 2010 ranger 4 banger in my shop, needs a head, they are pretty tough little buggers and the already fit the ranger chassis
It’s time to build some diesel rbv so The tdi, Cummins repower, 4bt (big heavy) and other small diesel engines also been considered I think tdi is the way to go, so thank you for that!
I think the 2.0 and 2.3 ecoboost share the same bell pattern, there is a junk yard that sells the 2.3 ecoboost with a M5OD-R1 or the 10 speed auto

The TDI is a great swap for this platform. The common rail CJAA have an almost identical power output as the 4.0. Would be a good swap if you’re not wanting to have a heavily modified motor. Would just need to figure out a solution for the power steering as the CJAA’s are all EPAS. The old ALH (ve injection pump) and BEW/BHW/BRM (pump deuse) motors are all pretty stout. They’ve got some quirks but nothing that can’t be remedied with some upgrades and tuning.

Josh brings up another swap I had thought about. Would be neat to see a 2.0 or 2.3 Ecoboost in these older RBVs.

First oil change for the TDI today. Have to siphon the oil out through the dipstick tube. Can’t get to the drain plug because of the engine crossmember.
IMG_5753.jpeg

This was the 500 mile break in oil change. Oil was nice and clean. Engine is healthy!

Also got a working glow plug light installed today.

Still need to figure out what’s going on with the fuel gauge. It reads correctly with the key on prior to starting. Once running though it always reads just over 3/4 no matter how much fuel is in the tank. I didn’t change anything with the fuel gauge wiring. Anyone have any ideas?

Now that you've been driving it around a bit, how do you like it performance wise?

I think my 700R4 would pair nicely with a TDI motor. It has a low 1st and a high OD for highway. I also have 5.13 gears and the Atlas II, which should keep me from having to regear. I think if I did this swap, I would use the latest and largest displacement engine that will clear my shock hoops I could find for a reasonable price. This swap has the cool factor of a diesel Explorer.

I'm leaning towards a TDI engine swap vs the GM V6. If I went with the GM V6, I would use a late model 3.6. They have integrated exhaust manifolds (making swap clearances easier) have around 300 HP, and are used in a bunch of model vehicles, like the TDI motors.

I have a few years before I attempt this.

Performance wise I really like it so far. It has really good power delivery. Doesn’t struggle to get up to speed and over hills. It responds really well to the right foot!

With that being said I still think a re-gear is in order. First gear is kind of a pain and I find myself dancing between 4th and 5th when cruising 60 mph. A good set of 4.56s could only make this thing even better.

I think your 700r4 with 5.13s would be a great pairing for a TDI without having to change much else. Your first gear ratio is a lot better! A 2.0 CJAA out of a newer Golf or Jetta is a great starting point. They’re a common rail diesel and super easy to squeeze more power out of. There’s also a ton of them laying around from the whole “diesel gate” ordeal. I had also seen that someone was working on developing an adapter kit for the VW/Audi 3.0 V6 TDI. Not sure how well it would fit, but this would be an option to explore as well.

Keep the feedback coming as you drive it! Tdi is an option many of us are considering

I had also seen that someone was working on developing an adapter kit for the VW/Audi 3.0 V6 TDI.
I'd be interested in knowing what the solution is to make it run outside it's native environment.

Now that you've been driving it around a bit, how do you like it performance wise?

I think my 700R4 would pair nicely with a TDI motor. It has a low 1st and a high OD for highway. I also have 5.13 gears and the Atlas II, which should keep me from having to regear. I think if I did this swap, I would use the latest and largest displacement engine that will clear my shock hoops I could find for a reasonable price. This swap has the cool factor of a diesel Explorer.

I'm leaning towards a TDI engine swap vs the GM V6. If I went with the GM V6, I would use a late model 3.6. They have integrated exhaust manifolds (making swap clearances easier) have around 300 HP, and are used in a bunch of model vehicles, like the TDI motors.

I have a few years before I attempt this.

Diesels have a low redline. I think it would make for difficult going when you need wheel speed in hill climbs, soft material etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Diesels have a low redline. I think it would make for difficult going when you need wheel speed in hill climbs, soft material etc.
The 2.0 TDI rev limiter is slightly higher than the 4.0 ohv.

Back