94 Explorer 4wd 4.0 engine removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer 4wd 4.0 engine removal

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
As the title states, trying (well planning to) pull my engine.
Heads are currently off, as well as the ac sytem etc. etc.

Have a 2 ton hoist (and getting a load leveler next month,) engine stand, (working on procuring a trans jack.)

So, without the heads, where is the best place to lift the block from?

I'm doing a big overhaul. Meaning radiator and condensor are being replaced as well. Do I yank the engine and trans together? Pull the trans first? Engine by itself?
Any tricks on supporting the trans without the engine in?

Once the engine is out, I plan to roll the Ex out of the garage and into its car port. So I can't just keep a trans jack under it.

I've done this before but I can't remember how. I think I ran head bolts through the chain into the block and pulled it that way, but can't be %100. Any decent sized bolt hole will work, its just placing the chain so that it wont flop when you start jacking it up.

If you plan on pulling everything, I would pull the transmission first.If you are pulling the engine first, you can support the trans with a jack while you take the engine out. If you want to leave the trans in once the engine is out, ratchet strap it up to the body/frame so it won't drag. However, I think I let mine hang before and it doesn't drop too far. YMMV

Benjam :D

Back