'94 X-Ploder S.A.S. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 X-Ploder S.A.S.

building this cheap and with parts i have gathered. i will not be doing any serious crazy 4wheeling, but i do mud bog at certain events mostly. i run and compete in a 4 & 6 cylinder class where you cant have visible motor mods.

so far i put a 2" body lift in and i did the rear flip kit done using the stock 8.8, 31spline rear, and the center section is welded and i added a set of 4:10 gears. so with all that in the back i got 5 1/2"s of lift.

for the front we are using a d44 out of an early bronco that will be coil sprung. im going to order early bronco spring buckets and 5 1/2" lift coils, we are doing custom steering and eventually custum radius arms.

i plan to run at least 36" tires, maybe a set of swamper ssr's or iroks.

now since ill be usuaing an early bronco rear thats narrower that a full size width, tires shouldnt hang out to far right? that will be about the same as the stock 8.8 rear? or will the fronts hang out way more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good. Its a great start. I would say Zainy has some good suggestions. Also when you address the steering make sure your trac bar is the same angle as the drag link. Move the mount up on the axle end.

yea im waiting to get dom tubing and heim joints to build alll my steering, also itll be a high steer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hum, thought it was a 3" body lift, still looks too tall to me, but again that's personal preference.

Hum, thought it was a 3" body lift, still looks too tall to me, but again that's personal preference.

no i may have posted i had a 3" body lift, and origionally it did, but i took it out and put a 1" in instead. it is very tall i must agree, they are 3.5" full size bronco coils, my 5.5" cols are on the passenger seat. the coils in the truck on the ground measure 17" compressed

Your build is coming along nice. I used several of the same components on my white truck (see it in my sig)

I used the same track bar bracket, but got creative. 2 things to look at in this pic.
1. I grooved out the bracket to contour the frame and flipped it around to get lower
2. I added a brace to the engine crossmember, I know of 2 trucks I have wheeled that have done this and never had in issue with the track bar bracket getting ripped from the frame (I remember back when SAS's were becoming popular and it was a common problem)

Attachments

• 0601060747.jpg
    0601060747.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,470

Here is a pic of my trac bar mount. It has changed a little since then because i needed to add some more blocking to move it out a little after i lifted it a little more.

bucket.jpg

man you guys are great! i appreciate all the help that you have given. i took this project on by myself. i was to get my uncle to help me but hes building a 76 bronco and its occupying all his time to help me as well. so the help and creative ideas im getting for all yous is and has gone into my rig.

well i got my crossmember in for the trans, got my rear perches redone, cut fenders out, painted all of drivers side frame, rear springs, front rear. pull all old brake lines off, redid all the hardware bolts i went alot bigger now that everything is in place.

hey redlinezl looks very nice ...BTW if I bring you my truck and some SAS parts how much for you to do mine? just curious...cause planning on it this summer

oh hahaha i dunno, im sure there are plenty of guys that are better then me to do yours

front brakes done!
all breaks bled!
rear drive shaft in!
key... turn, vrmmmmm!
reverse.... stop.... drive..... stop...!

next, matching gears, build "rock proof" steering and uuuh 1st mud bog is may 17th

ill run out and take some lol, my driveway is pretty damn full

CIMG0858-1.jpg

rear shaft in

CIMG0859-1.jpg

used the origional brake lines for now

CIMG0860-1.jpg

CIMG0861-1.jpg

CIMG0861.jpg

dads 96 2.3 ranger with 5.13's front locker, rear wleded, 3" body 4" suspension, 35" tsls

CIMG0862-1.jpg

his cage

CIMG0863-1.jpg

CIMG0864-1.jpg

CIMG0865-1.jpg

CIMG0866-1.jpg

CIMG0867-1.jpg

Back