94 xlt project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt project

Just started working on getting my 94 Explorer off-road ready, so I'll be visiting the site a lot for questions and opinions.

So far I'm on 31x10.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and Pro Comp wheels. The tires hum when you get up to speed but it don't bother me none. They do rub when making a sharp turn, but a little trimming should fix that. Soon to come is a 4" lift and maybe 33s. In the meantime I'm gonna run a 2" lift with shackles and coil spacers. I'm hoping to get a flowmaster and some fog lights when I can. Also my KKM intake should arrive tomorrow.
Plenty more to be done, but I think I'm off to a good start.

2lc1iye.jpg

23jiwzq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to be off road ready I highly reccomend a rear locker 1st, that was by far the best "bang for the buck" mod i have done to date, even better than my 33" goodyear duratracs

If you want to be off road ready I highly reccomend a rear locker 1st, that was by far the best "bang for the buck" mod i have done to date, even better than my 33" goodyear duratracs

Thanks man, Ill keep that in mind. This is my daily driver, so it'll be on the road about 90% of the time, but I take it to the beach and the mountains any chance I can get.

My aussie was 307 and some change shipped, the price has gone up a bit, but still money well spent. After the 1st 1000 miles or so i couldnt even tell it was there unless driving it hard

Alright sweet.

I need to lift it soon. If I go with the Warrior shackles in the rear, what's the best cheap option for the front? Longer coils with spacers? How much rougher will the ride be and would new shocks compensate for the roughness?

Good to see another Virginian on here! Looks like this could become a nice project :popcorn:

i would use 92-96 2wd f150 coat seats. 1.5". i have a set thats spoken for and i sold another set a month ago. theres more at the junkyard, but its just a pain in the ass haha. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187201
for the rear. they say to use f150 springs. keep the stock exploder top leaf that has the eyes, and rebuild the rest using the f150 leafs. its supposed to be a better ride + 1.5". http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035

would deff be cool to see you on the trip with us

Put in the new KKM filter on Friday. Drove it all weekend and I'm definitely liking it. Sounds better and gets up how I want it to.
Also decided to wait around until the money's right and get a 4" rough country or something similar.

w8ulj8.jpg

(backwards photo)

Welp I've been debating about my lift options. Money and my free time are tight right now. The f-150 coil seats and leaf springs sounds like a good option, but also more work for a guy putting on his first lift. I think I might take a cheap and simple route, Skyjacker 2" coils and add a leafs in the rear for around $250, since any more than 2" will require more parts and more money. Will my stock shocks work with this setup? Would adding longer shackles AND the add-a-leafs benefit me at all? I know I'll need new camber shims. Is there anything else I might need alignment wise?

Thanks. I'm trying to get everything straight before I go for a lift next payday.

I installed RC front springs for 2", the Warrior shackles for the back and still had to order an AAL for the rear to get it to the height I want.

Check out the thread in my sig line, there are many useful threads that should answer all your questions.

After exploring my lift options I decided to keep it simple with a 2" coil/AAL kit from skyjacker. I'm sure it would've been more cost efficient in the long run to go with a 4" kit, but I just wanted a more aggressive stance and some room to flex on moderate trails and dunes. I feel like it's going to look good. The cheapest kit I found was on 4wheelonline, not the most reputible dealer, but if I encounter any problems I'll gladly ***** em out. Aftermarket shocks and shackles on the way depending on the ride and how level the truck sits after I install the kit. Also a brush guard, some trail lights, exhaust, and other slight mods will be done in the near future. Pics soon

Is there anything else I will need with the lift other than camber bushings and an alignment? Would it be worth it just to ask the alignment shop to put the bushings on for me or is that a fairly simple process?

Thanks! This site has helped a lot. I appreciate any personal opinions on my truck.

The issue with just getting bushings "big enough" to correct the camber is that if the bushing has excess adjustment they have to put it somewhere. It will end up being used for Caster.

If caster gets too far off it changes how the vehicle ride and if you have a bunch more on one side than the other it can pull the side with less negative camber (I think I got the direction right).

With that said.. Many people do just drop in their own camber bushing and have it aligned and I rarely (I can't remember one) where the alignment shop had to replace the bushing...

If you have the alignment shop put them them (and supply them) its going to cost a bunch more than buying them yourself.

As for how hard is it to install.. Its actually easy.. Loosen the pinch bolt.. whack the knuckle right outside the bushing.. Put anti sieze on the new one, drop it in and tighten the pinch bolt. If it has the provision for the keeper on the top you will need to remove the old one from the ball joint (top) and put it back on. It won't go on some ball joints depending on the ball joint and the camber bushing.

Here are the instructions from SPC for the multi adjustable kind. This kind doesn't have the issue of excess camber being used as caster. http://www.spcalignment.net/instructions/24180-INS_WEB.pdf

Here is the page with the video on installing the normal kind.. This kind can get your more camber adjustment.
http://www.spc-tv.com/install/4x4-truck-suv/32-23100.html

~Mark

Great looking truck! I've just done similar to what you're planning. I used ebay aluminum coil spacers for the front, used fully adjustable Moog camber bushings and installed the extra leafs in the rear along with shackles. You'll be fine with your current shocks. I'm only into my my 2 inch lift for $220 including the bushings and alignment.

As for your question. Just crank up the torsion bars to level the front witht the rear shackles.

He doesn't have torsion bars. Sorry to keep correcting you.

The issue with just getting bushings "big enough" to correct the camber is that if the bushing has excess adjustment they have to put it somewhere. It will end up being used for Caster.

If caster gets too far off it changes how the vehicle ride and if you have a bunch more on one side than the other it can pull the side with less negative camber (I think I got the direction right).

With that said.. Many people do just drop in their own camber bushing and have it aligned and I rarely (I can't remember one) where the alignment shop had to replace the bushing...

If you have the alignment shop put them them (and supply them) its going to cost a bunch more than buying them yourself.

As for how hard is it to install.. Its actually easy.. Loosen the pinch bolt.. whack the knuckle right outside the bushing.. Put anti sieze on the new one, drop it in and tighten the pinch bolt. If it has the provision for the keeper on the top you will need to remove the old one from the ball joint (top) and put it back on. It won't go on some ball joints depending on the ball joint and the camber bushing.

Here are the instructions from SPC for the multi adjustable kind. This kind doesn't have the issue of excess camber being used as caster. http://www.spcalignment.net/instructions/24180-INS_WEB.pdf

Here is the page with the video on installing the normal kind.. This kind can get your more camber adjustment.
http://www.spc-tv.com/install/4x4-truck-suv/32-23100.html

~Mark

Thanks! That video is really good. I'm still confused about which specific ones I should order for my lift and truck model.

Great looking truck! I've just done similar to what you're planning. I used ebay aluminum coil spacers for the front, used fully adjustable Moog camber bushings and installed the extra leafs in the rear along with shackles. You'll be fine with your current shocks. I'm only into my my 2 inch lift for $220 including the bushings and alignment.

Thanks man!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to oreilly today to get caster/camber bushings. All they had left were Moog -3/4 to +2 1/2 degree adjustables. My skyjacker 2" will be here this week so are these bushings going to work for me?

Back