FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
So I came across a trade offer on race-dezert and I'm seriously considering it.

The guys has a '96 2.3L manual, standar cab, short bed that he wants to trade for a dual sport motorcycle.

So if he goes for it, I'd be trading this:

081306.jpg

for this:
RedRangerFront.jpg

RedRangerRear.jpg

What are the Pros and Cons of the 2.3L truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you driven the truck? Looks to be a good trade... you'd hafta paint it flat black, though. :p:

Nothing wrong with the 2.3 as a DD. And it's a stick, so no auto trans issues. Probably has 4.10 gears. Do it!

Going to check it out on the way home from work. He also said that there was just some motor work done by Ford, and it runs great.

It has black grill and wheels already. I'll have to do the bottom half like the explorer Ultra Flat.

I just the ad. What does he mean by "This truck is not a daily driver." That he didn't use it as a DD, or that it's not a good DD?

keep the bike. You have the audi and the explorer. The bike gets better milage. Its lifted it will get crappy milage. Keep the bike.

i dont know if they ever fixed this issue, but i usta have an 88 with a 2.3 and it ate head gaskets like none other, but other than that they are reliable

I was thinking of selling the Audi too. I'd also be able to sell the truck for more than I bought the bike for.

i dont know if they ever fixed this issue, but i usta have an 88 with a 2.3 and it ate head gaskets like none other, but other than that they are reliable

I'll have to look into that, thanks.

My old '96 with 31's and 2.3/5-speed got only about 17 on the highway:thumbdwn: That was with a K&n and Gibson. It was also a s-cab so a bit more weight. That's why I bought the explorer...better mileage for the power:confused:

That one probally has 3.73's in it, and it would be 7.5 rear.

What's wrong with the audi????

Standard cabs bring the suck for daily driving. Standard cabs are starting to bring the suck for wheeling as well. No more lane spliting and the 405 sucks.

I wouldn't have it for very long. I'm actually looking to make money on it dannyboy style. :D
I paid $900 for the bike and I could sell the truck for more than that. I still haven't seen the thing yet. When I look at it tonight, I might decide it's not worth it. :dunno:

The Audi is fine, I'm just trying to work my way to getting an E-350 van like IZ has. Selling the truck and the Audi would give me a good chunk towards one.

wish I had 90-92 body style. The bodies are narrower and that might save me from beaking so many tail lights. Standard cabs and noAC are harder to sell. Though Im sure you can get ore then 900 for it especally if it wll pass smog.

Wow Matt, and I thought it was just me that hated the reg cab:D My first truck was one, and after that I swore I'd never by a reg cab again. Just to small. and no A/c sucks too, but when you see how much it dogs down that 2.3, you wonder. a rear slider make a huge difference! No P/S would suck more I think:D

i got a 2.3 in my ranger of course im running low pro tires and 17's and its only got around 80k on it but so far that damn engine has been bullet proof ive never had one bit of trouble wit it or the mazda 5 speed its attached to

i got a 2.3 in my ranger of course im running low pro tires and 17's and its only got around 80k on it but so far that damn engine has been bullet proof ive never had one bit of trouble wit it or the mazda 5 speed its attached to

Thank you sir. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So.... You went and looked at it right? What's the deal?

Back