96 5.0 into 97 4.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 into 97 4.0

Are the radiators/coolers all the same?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, all 4x4 4.0's I've ever seen have the same bigger core radiators as any of the 5.0's. Actually, I think maybe even the 2wd over head cam 4.0's had them.

Nice, thanks! Just put the 5.0 in the garage to start stripping it. Not looking forward to this. Almost took it for one last trail rip, look for some airtime, but didn't want to get snow all over it for the garage floor, LOL.

Good thinking, I grew up in Wisconsin and don't miss melting snow on the garage floor keeping it wet, and dripping in my face under the vehicle for hours!

Drivelines the same? Hey, good question instead of something I can figure out myself, lol....Did you change out the torsions for the heavier 5.0 torsions?

I didn't change anything, remember I only swapped body's, did nothing to the driveline, at least not at that time. Pretty sure the torsion bars are the same though, maybe turn em up a tad, and the axles are the same. You will have to use the 5.0 driveshafts, but they should bolt to the yolks. I'm assuming you're using the awd transfer case for now?

In the last month I have done 2 of these swaps, so if I can be of help let me know. And yes the v8 will come out with the transmission AND transfer case still bolted on. That is the way I did the AWD one and it was just as easy as the 2wd ones. And on mine (all 97's) the cluster did not have to be swapped, just one wire repinned for the tach to read right.

hey i have 98 ranger 4x4 i want to put a 5.0 in but i dont want to do about the wheel drive. because all explorers i have found are all wheel drive what do i do????

Thats strange, we've got 3 two wheel drive 5.0's here in my yard. Which are wrecked and are for parts, guess you could come to Texas and buy what you need from us.

Sorry dont mean to cut in but you guys seem to know what your talking about here. I bought a 96 explorer awd with a bad transmisson so i got what i thought was a 97 transmisson but the plug on the transmisson is different here is the diagram i used to repin it, http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page16.shtml(my plug is on top in picture new one is like picture below. Its still giving codes P0743 P0750 P0755 P1747? Not sure where to go from here. Help please

Looks to me like you would have to change internal parts in addition to the pins, just from looking at you're link. I'm thinking maybe you got a 1998 model trans. If it was out of a 97, maybe it was a late model with the next generation trans?

will my trans in my 98 ranger bolt up with a 5.0

what trans will i need then or will i just have an allwheel drive ranger

I would say you're best bet is to get a 4406 t-case to put behind the 5.0 trans. I don't know what you would need for driveshafts on a Ranger though.

what did the 4406 t-case come in and will that work with the shift on the fly fourwheel drive

You'll have whatever you're t-case is. There are manual shift and electric shift 4406's I got my electric shift from a '97 f-150. No experience with Rangers, so I don't know what kind of space you have under there, but the 4406 is a lot larger than a V-6 and the V-8 awd case. I also haven't had time to figure out my electric shifting, so don't ask me about that, I currently can't get 4 high for some reason. You probably want to find some other threads on the V-8 conversions. There are guys here that have done it all.

Looks to me like you would have to change internal parts in addition to the pins, just from looking at you're link. I'm thinking maybe you got a 1998 model trans. If it was out of a 97, maybe it was a late model with the next generation trans?

well in that link it gave you two options repin or change internals. internals are the same they just added a circuit board inside the trans on 98 and newer instead of being wired in 96-97. Theres a rewiring diagram on here somewhere to splice 96 to the newer trannys but i dont wanna splice would rather repin. But i dont know what the abbreviations stand for.

Section525 has a site and it explains it there see below.

I have a wiring diagram on my website for using a 98+ 4r70w in a 96-97 Explorer. I am using a 2000 in my '96 right now.

Just splice a few wires.

Your results may vary!

Dead Link Removed

I may be wrong but they way I see it, if you go from new to old, you must change the internals and not the pinout, because the solenoid connections are different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may be wrong but they way I see it, if you go from new to old, you must change the internals and not the pinout, because the solenoid connections are different.

Not sure about that one, I know if it worked for section525 and his tranny he put in was a 2001 into a 1997 but he spliced wires i am repinning instead of splicing.

Back