'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise.

Thank you, your right not pressed, however it does go together tightly that it will stay on once pushed together during the time you tighten it on the transfer case. Also the kit from Rock Auto works great for this.

cud be the CV joint i had a noise that turned into a grinding etc. i replaced the joints on the front driveshaft and the CV joint (had to send the driveshaft out to be fixed).

Newbie here

Hi I am new to this forum and found it browsing to find some info on my explorer. I use my explorer as a daily driver and sometimes haul a 16' tandem trailer.

Recently while pulling a load I heard a loud pop when I went to accelerate from stop. Never heard it again until yesterday and it did it a few times. I only heard it when puuling the trailer. Any who I crawled under thining it was a bad U joint or three, and the drive shaft cv joint looks kinda bad. Boot missing, looks rough inside. Its getting replaced first of the week but my main question here is: Could the drive shaft cv joint have been the popping sound I heard or should I look somewhere else?

THANKS in advance !!!

Back