97 won't go past 2k In 5th gear?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 won't go past 2k In 5th gear??

noah7797

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 4x4
I have a 97 expo 4.0 SOHC 4x4 and for whatever reason yesterday I started having a very strange problem. Whenever I get in the highway and it shifts into 5th gear the rpm's immediately drop to exactly 2k and I can only go around 50-55 mph. But if I push the gas enough to make it downshift it acts just like normal and I can accelerate up to the speed limit again but as soon as it downshifts it just goes back down to 50mph. It's not as if I don't have the power to maintain 65 or so it just won't accelerate for some reason. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any check engine codes ???

I do but I have had the light on ever since I got the truck even when I had the engine rebuilt and I don't have a tester. Most likely they are my exhaust because I have no cats and the original o2 sensors.

I do but I have had the light on ever since I got the truck even when I had the engine rebuilt and I don't have a tester. Most likely they are my exhaust because I have no cats and the original o2 sensors.

just because the CEL has been on, doesn't mean you're not generating new codes. without getting the codes, no one will be able to help you. there are too many variables. most auto parts stores will scan for codes for free. if you have to, take it to a mechanic and have him scan it for you, or buy a ODB II scanner. when you get the codes scanned, get a print-out if exactly what they say.

just because the CEL has been on, doesn't mean you're not generating new codes. without getting the codes, no one will be able to help you. there are too many variables. most auto parts stores will scan for codes for free. if you have to, take it to a mechanic and have him scan it for you, or buy a ODB II scanner. when you get the codes scanned, get a print-out if exactly what they say.

I will definitely get them checked and get back with you. There's a guy at my local o'rielys who is an explorer guru he should know exactly what the codes mean.

I will definitely get them checked and get back with you. There's a guy at my local o'rielys who is an explorer guru he should know exactly what the codes mean.

FYI: getting the codes and their definitions is just the starting point. often one problem will trigger multiple codes (only one of which being the real problem) but it's the starting point to figure out what's wrong.

FYI: getting the codes and their definitions is just the starting point. often one problem will trigger multiple codes (only one of which being the real problem) but it's the starting point to figure out what's wrong.

Sorry for the delayed response. But I finally got the codes checked and here's what I got:
P0153 Heated Oxygen Sensor (bank 2 sensor 1) Circuit slow response

P1151 Lack of HO2S-21 switching, sensor indicates lean bank 2

P1152 " " sensor indicates rich bank 2

My local explorer guru had no idea why I'm having my problem which surprised me. Any help would be great!

abnormal symptoms

Usually there are no noticeable symptoms associated with P0153. Do you have an exhaust leak on the driver side before the catalytic converter? Check the wiring to your driver side pre-cat O2 sensor. Make sure the wires are not touching the exhaust pipes and shorting out. How many miles on your driver side cat? It may be partially blocked.

Usually there are no noticeable symptoms associated with P0153. Do you have an exhaust leak on the driver side before the catalytic converter? Check the wiring to your driver side pre-cat O2 sensor. Make sure the wires are not touching the exhaust pipes and shorting out. How many miles on your driver side cat? It may be partially blocked.

I don't have cats. Had them removed and my two rear O2 sensors have never been replaced after 237k miles.

Back