How to: - 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I picked up a 97-98 trans and it fits just like shown by others here - perfectly. As a perk my F150 front driveshaft should fit now, as well as my 4406 shift linkage without modification. They really took it to me though, that $428 transmission was $650 out the door after tax and core.

Allow me to share a tip I learned a while ago;
For a core charge like that from yards, usually there is some kind of warranty for the item. Tell them you don't need the warranty, and ask them to waive the core charge. That works sometimes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine free in the long run, bot the entire truck for $500 used it in a tough truck contest then sold everything but the case and trans and made money. Only cost I have in it is I had it rebuilt and best parts possible used $1600 latter i installed.

Allow me to share a tip I learned a while ago;
For a core charge like that from yards, usually there is some kind of warranty for the item. Tell them you don't need the warranty, and ask them to waive the core charge. That works sometimes.

I never thought of that. Too late now I suppose.

I'm almost finished with my cross member. I had to take out 1" of height. I thought I saw something in this thread about another option to avoid modifying the cross member but I'm not seeing it now.

This is pretty exciting to me so I have to share it, and this is pretty much the premier M5R2/4406 thread.

I got the 4406 bolted up after switching to the 98 M5R2 and was thinking about driveshaft options. I think it was in this thread I read that a expedition shaft would fit 4 doors, but hadn't found anything about STs. Anticipating a custom driveshaft, I pick the first slip yoke driveshaft off the pile I've collected over the years, planning to have a driveline shop graft it to the stock ST driveshaft. I slipped it in the 4406 to verify the splines were right, and what do you know, it is the perfect length and has the right size U joints. I only have to swap my flange onto it.

I'm not positive, but I think it came out of a 90 F150 supercab short bed 5.8 auto.

I just want to say thanks and good work. I've always kicked this around but with this there is no reason not to.

Could someone help me with pinning down a hydraulic clutch line part number?

I have read and reread this thread once or twice, will continue to do a bunch more I bet if I actually go threw with this. Here's a little bit of info to help.

There have been a few different posts of hydraulic lines being used but no part numbers exactly.

OP's Original Parts List Post #130
Stating using 99 explorer clutch line
Also line 5 states 96 F150 can maybe be used?

Post #179-182
Talking of using/reusing a 97 4.0 clutch hydraulic line

Post #163, #166-167
Talk of reusing a 96 F150 hydraulic line

97 Line
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ission-manual,clutch+hydraulic+hose/line,2332

99 Line
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...utch+master+and+slave+cylinder+assembly,10290

96 F150
1996 FORD F-150 5.0L V8 Clutch Hydraulic Hose/Line | RockAuto

Yeah I know this is one of those things it probably varies person to person but I am just looking for some advice in a solid direction. With this stuff I know it comes to trial and error but maybe there is something I am missing.

Also....

Post Number #130

In the parts lists used, OP says the clutch kit pilot bearing is incompatible. And I will keeping looking but don't see anything on which one is used? Could some help me with some info on this? Should I be looking for a pilot bearing from a F150, Explorer or ranger? I am unsure.

So I have found the answer to one of my questions so far concerning the hydraulic line I believe. The pilot bearing question is still in the air.

Post #14

Talks about getting a hydraulic line.

Post #15

The OPs gives the first part list but does not list buying a hydraulic line or part number for one.

-------------------------------

There is no talk of a line between the need for one and when OP shows it.

--------------------------------

Post #40

Shows a hydraulic line received along with other parts listed in Post #15 but again no part number.

If you compare the photo he took with the 96 F150 Line I referenced in my first post #326.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ission-manual,clutch+hydraulic+hose/line,2332

and
(About halfway down, Post #40)
98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

You can see those two lines match up pretty well if not exact.

So the Part Number for the hydraulic Line is Brute Power - 85201

I have come up with the best answer I could think of for the pilot bearing. Just between rereading the posts, and using RockAuto as source of reference.

OP says he bought a Luk Clutch Kit in Post #15. The Luk Clutch kit includes a pilot bearing but in Post #130 he says its incompatible.

When OP is showing the parts he bought in Post #40, The clutch kit, fly wheel as he said he did in Post #15 OP also shows the hydraulic line which I could not find an exact part number until I matched it up myself. ( See Post Above )

In Post #41 OP shows the Mr.Gasket flywheel bolts and pilot bearing. This is wear things get tricky and you have to pay attention. If you look at the picture in Post #41 it shows a thick bearing that is solid on the edges all the way through with no drop offs.

OP then later says pilot bearing included in the Luk clutch kit was incompatible in Post #130.

If you look at the pilot bearing in Luk clutch kit, I will include link to a picture below. You see the pilot bearing has a drop off near the edge. It is not solid, one piece all the way on the edges.

If you look at RockAuto pilot bearings for 96 & 97 F150 with 4.2 and 5.0 this is what you find.

Imgur

The 96 F150 5.0 has a Solid Thick pilot bearing all the way through. (The National Brand gives you the best picture of what I am talking about.)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...transmission-manual,clutch+pilot+bearing,1964

The 97 F150 4.2 has a Step Down just like included in the LUK clutch kit that OP says was incompatible.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...transmission-manual,clutch+pilot+bearing,1964

I think the part number I am after is National - FC65662

Any help with this would be great. I am just trying to figure this out as I go.

------------ Edit:

Yeah I don't know what to think anymore. The ones I thought were all smooth have a tapir.. I just have no idea now.

Sorry for the delayed reply... For the hydraulic line I used the one for a 99 Explorer. That one has the right bends and connections. In post 130 I said the "throwout" bearing was incompatible (because the 96 F150 used a fork), not the pilot bearing. I believe the pilot bearing from the clutch kit worked fine.

I am interested in the M5R2 swap but I would like to keep my AWD 4404.

I read in this thread that the M5R2 is the same length as the 4R70W

I also read that the 4406 is 19.5” and the 4404 is 17”.
Is the 2.5” difference between transfer cases the reason that a new rear driveshaft is required?

A member posted that completed the M5R2 swap and kept their 4404 but didn’t mention if they changed driveshafts.

Old thread, thought I'd ask...

You guys were using the 97-up 4.2 M5OD transmissions. I have an extra 1992 ZF from a 5.8 4x4 F250 with t-case and driveshafts. I know in the 87-96 F series pickups, the M5OD and ZF were physically interchangeable. So can I use this 92 4x4 ZF in an explorer swap, or were you guys using the M5OD due to maybe having a shifter in a different location, or maybe the M5OD is a little less bulky and fits better in the confines of the explorer?

I'd been saving the whole 5.8/ZF/wiring setup for a potential Bronco build someday, but I'm giving up on finding a solid one to build and am considering going the explorer route.

Thanks

I swapped one into a bronc with NP205/Atlas II doubler. The tranny was a bolt-up deal, but yes it's bigger and the Explorer is smaller. You do have the tranny to check for clearance issues, but it would be nice to see that someone has already done it.

I may be stating the obvious. The ZF is a truck tranny, no shifting that thing fast and it has got to be heavier. I think it's a bit big for a 302 Explorer. I needed the strength in a blown 349 bronc as the Mazda was not holding-up.

I've aged and mellowed-out some. I got tired of, at best 10mpg in the Bronco. That said, I miss it some and look some. There are plenty of Bronc's in the southwest that are in great shape for around 10k. I am finding them on Craiglist and Facebook.

Can find full size broncos around $5-7k here about ten years ago they were $500 and 700 just like the bii!!

Yes, I should have written that I've seen nice Bronco's, lower mileage (150k), needing very little if any work and with a lift for 10k. I was all about Big Bronco's when gas was cheaper and I liked harder wheeling. The ZF's low, low, 1st and overdrive were very nice. I now prefer the X for more comfort, daily driving and mild wheeling to get to fun places.

Back