98 Explorer Sport SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Sport SOHC

Hey guys, I'm finding it difficult to find anything on this so i thought i would just start a new thread.

I'm new so I apologize for anything i'm about to say that sounds ignorant....BUT,
Is there anyone who knows about the dangers of using a chip or removing the governor(the thing that ruins your fun when you hit 110 mph) as far as whether the axles can handle it or if anything has been know to catastrophically malfunction...I wanna go fast but I just don't want to die the first time I do.

What should i upgrade first?

I'm ordering some basic upgraded parts(intake, exhaust, injectors,...); I just want to know if there's anything i should add to the list.

It is very dangerous to push an explorer to those speeds. Just think it's a brick on stilts that was never designed to go that fast. Not to mention it's a 98 with old worn parts.

I would say to lower the explorer, upgrade the suspension, and get a good set of tires before trying to test top speed

The limiter is set for MANY reasons, the biggest being the speed rating of the tires.

Back