98 leaf springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 leaf springs

kh0432

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I bought a 98 Explorer and noticed the rear was sitting low so I installed a set of Monroe shocks with helper springs. It raised the rear to where it should be but I don't like the fact that the shock bushings are supporting that much weight so I'm going to replace the leaf springs. The U bolts and shackle bolts all look to be in good shape and are not rusted to the point that they will be hard to remove. Should I order new ones anyway or is it OK to reuse them? Thanks, Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My .02 - Leave the Monroe's on there and consider the sag fixed.
Lots of guys on here run them with no problems at all.

bushings on the shock do not support any of the weight of the truck...

your shocks are not really supporting anything at all....

the shock is there to absorb SOME the sway and swag of the spring.
the only time a shock will support any weight, is if the axle is hanging
or the shock is being fully stuffed...

:salute:

bushings on the shock do not support any of the weight of the truck...

your shocks are not really supporting anything at all....

the shock is there to absorb SOME the sway and swag of the spring.
the only time a shock will support any weight, is if the axle is hanging
or the shock is being fully stuffed...

Monroe sensa trac load adjust shocks with the helper coils do indeed transfer weight load to the shock mounts.

I use them with no added leaf work, drove in Colorado on a few trails without even disconnecting the sway bar endlinks. I too, would consider it fixed. If you bend a shock mount, get new leafs and address it with new shock mounts and a cross member. I doubt you will have a problem though.

Now this is coming from a guy who likes to keep the sway bars connected, as a rough ride is easier on me than replacing parts on the trail. Disconnecting the sway bar to allow more flex on the rear might just do some damage to the shock towers. I am not sure about this.

I have the parts to change my leaf springs this weekend and yes, I did buy new U bolts. The repair manual says to tighten all the bolts finger tight and then lower the vehicle before the final torquing. I can see why you would leave the shackle and front eye bolt loose so the rubber bushing can be in a neutral position but whey can't the u bolts be tightened first? They aren't going to move when the vehicle is lowered. I also think that since I am using the Monroe shocks with the helper spings that they should be attached before tightening the shackle bolts since they will change the ride height somewhat. Thanks, Keith

your right. i just re-read the "COIL OVER" part...

you are correct sir.

I reused my u bolts and tightened them all down while on jack stands... oops. Its been 2 years and many a mile since and nothing has budged. I didn't use new packs, i just shoved in an add a leaf.

I should have made it more clear that I'm using coil over shocks. Keith

I bought new springs from ATS Springs, and have been very happy with them, I also use Monroe Sensatracs, and it barely sags with a full tank of gas, and me , and my subs in the back.

Possibility/feasibility of using axle to frame coils and leafs and Monroe Sensatracs?

I have the Sensatracs with the helper coil and am very happy with them as well. No issues.

IIRC, the optional air ride suspension that accomplished basically the same thing as the helper coils were mounted in the same location, so the mounts are designed to carry a lot of load.

The rear end of my Ex is actually sitting almost too high now, if you can believe that!

OK, I changed the leaf springs today and it made a big difference in the ride. When I bought the truck in August the rear was sagging so I installed coil over shocks which raised the rear. As I stated in an earlier post, I didn't like the fact that the shocks were helping to support the weight. Since I use this to tow a boat I decided to replace the leafs. With the new springs and the coil shocks the height still looks stock but the ride is much better. The repair manual says to jack the truck up but leave the tires touching the ground, then remove the spring. I opted to take the tires off, unbolt the u bolts first and jack up the rear off of the spring. This way you can get to all the bolts without laying under the vehicle. The only problem I had was with the bottom bolts of the shackle. I was able to free one and get it out but the other side didn't go as well. After beating on it for an hour I finally looked online and found that my local Auto Zone had a shackle kit in stock. If I did this job again I think I would buy the whole kit with all the hardware. Other than the frozen bolt it is a pretty easy project. Would have taken about 1 1/2 hours if no problems. Keith

Many Thanks to Keith

Yes!

Many many thanks! I have this exact same problem and was contemplating if those Monroe SensaTracs with the "Coil-Over" springs would be sufficient enough to help.
From what you say, they do help, but it doesn't truly correct the problem.
Looks like I'll be buying new packs as well, maybe I'll even lower the stance just a wee little bit... but I want it done right.

Edit: Do you think the Driver's side rear sags more than the other corners?
Mine seems to...

My '01 Explorer definitely sags the most on the driver's rear. I'm assuming from the years of extra weight from the gas tank? Not sure. My driver's front used to sag a bit too, but new shocks seems to have fixed that.

Back