98 XLT 6 disc cd changer problems

The_Hammer

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a used 98 XLT with a stock 6 disc cd changer located in the center console. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to work it. When i slide the cover away to expose the changer unit and push eject button on the unit nothing happens. It just makes a bunch of noises like it is trying to change cds around inside but the lid doesn't open or anything.

I have never had a 6 disc changer before so i'm unsure if i'm either just doing something totally wrong or if the unit is actually broken in some way.

Thanks,

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like something is jamming it. Try pushing the changer cart in slightly while you press the eject button. The way it is supposed to work is it tries to unload any CD that is loaded. Be sure to let go when you hear it stop shuffling because it is about to try to pop out. If this doesn't work you are going to have to remove the changer, take it apart and figure out what's jamming it. I've had something as small as a blade of grass jam mine before.

You are talking about the faceplate on the changer unit correct? That says #1-6 etc. What if there aren't any cds in there? Would it still open properly?

I will attempt that. I assume we're talking about the same thing.

Ok I just tried what was mentioned above and it didn't really do anything. It didn't change sounds at all when pushing down on the unit and hitting eject versus just hitting eject. I couldn't feel any kind of pressure on the faceplate or anything either. It just sounds like it is cycling through cd's.

Also another thing to note which i'm not sure is related or normal. When first turning the key to On/Acc or when turning the vehicle off I can hear sounds coming from behind the dash/glove box area which i'm assuming are related to the cd changer.

There shouldn't be anything mechanical behind the dash having to do with the cd changer under the arm rest. If you look in the tiny gap between the changer and cart. you should be able to see the little white trays that slide in and out. You may have to use a flashlight, and it's a really slim crack. But look and see if any of those trays are not sliding back in all the way when you press the eject button. If they all slide into the cartridge evenly I would say you have something in there jamming it.

Most often when the changer goes bad it just won't do anything at all, or the laser burns out. Yours just sounds like a jammed cartridge.

Try pulling the fuse to the changer for about 30 seconds then reconnec it while the stereo is powered up. This should reset the cd changer and eject the cartridge if the servo controller is stuck in the wrong "logic-state" by resetting the servo-control circuit IC. Fuse 29, 15amp, the fuse box under the dash, drivers side.

Probably a dime or penny stuck in there due to the coin holder being right in front of where the changer loads.

The noises at the dash could be the actuator for the cd changer i installed a switch in the power and just turn it off and back on whenever it acts out

Thanks fixxxer I will try that first as it won't include taking out the cd changer. And I guess if something is stuck in there that would mean I need to take it out and open it up? Is it difficult to take out the changer?

The fuse was a 25amp fuse and it didn't work, so not sure if slot 29 was actually the correct one or not. I'm about to leave on holidays so don't really have time to figure this out right now, but will get back to it in a couple weeks, thanks for all the replies.

Take out the kleneex tray and look at the bottom of the changer, there's a red plug (IIRC) unplug that wait a couple of mins, plug it back in, that should do a reset, won't take you more than 4 mins to do, if it works you can enojy your cd's during your trip...

Didn't see this before the trip, just got back, it was awesome. But I will try this later on today and report back.

I tried this, but it was a black plug not a red plug. Unless I was looking at the wrong one, I only saw one though.

When I look down the crack in the opening face plate you can see a little white/silver metal piece which looks like it is stuck in one of the positions, so i'm thinking it is jammed somehow.

Is it easy to remove/take apart?

Back