99 5.0 AWD, pull motor without removing transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0 AWD, pull motor without removing transmission?

yeahokay

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer EB 5.0
I need to replace the front/rear seal as well as the oil pan gasket. Im wondering if it is feasible to pull the motor on an AWD without removing the transmission, and of course install the motor back without pulling the transmission.

Pulling a motor for me is way easier than actually pulling a transmission at home on the ground. Any thoughts, will it work? bad idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do it all the time
Can have a 5.0 out in about 4 hours

But I’ve done it 100 times
Start soaking the exhaust down pipe bolts now I use pb blaster

Stabbing the engine to the transmission is very do able in the truck, again I do this all the time. The best approach is to remove the engine mounting plates from the side of the block and stab it to the transmission while it is still on the hoist. Then once they are Mated and the converter is bolted on bellhousing bolts are in you can raise it back up and install the side plates…

I do it all the time
Can have a 5.0 out in about 4 hours

But I’ve done it 100 times
Start soaking the exhaust down pipe bolts now I use pb blaster
PB Blaster worth its weight in gold

Ok thank you for the confirmation and tip to stab to the transmission. Now I just need an engine hoist and some good weather!

I’ve always had good luck finding used engine hoist for cheap on craigslist or Facebook. The Pittsburg cheapo you ought steer clear of, they simply do not have enough reach to get to the center of the engine without being in the front bumper… a silly design. I drilled new holes in ours to make it reach further, but it is not ideal

Back