• Register Today It's free!

99 to 98 engine swap

jefcon62

Reaction score
City, State
arthur, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I replaced the engine in a 98 explorer with one out of a 99. every thing went back together except one two wire connector over the shift linkage on the tranny, and one o2 sensor for which there was no connector in the 99 harness. this is a 4.0 sohc. problem is no power. starts and idols good but under a load it wants to die. ait sensor code 30113 came up and tp p1120. got the latter to clear but no change in performance. any help out there?:roll:

IAT not connected

P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

The above probably means that the IAT is not connected and the circuit is open. My 2000 has an integrated MAF sensor and IAT. There are 6 wires going to the MAF sensor connector. The outer one on each side of the connector are for the IAT sensor. Older models have separate units. Did you use the 98 MAF sensor or the 99? I have experimented with a variable resistor substituted for the IAT and learned that it makes only minor differences in performance on the SOHC V6. I suspect that you have a more significant problem.

There may be differences in the engine wiring harness for 98 vs 99. I assume that you're using the 98 PCM or it wouldn't start because of PATS that was implemented in 99.

Did you reuse the fuel pressure regulator from the 98? The 99 has a returnless fuel system with a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel tank and a fuel pressure damper on the rail. The 98 has a return fuel system with a fuel pressure regulator on the rail.

Back