99 XTL SOHC 4x4 aka Big Tig (warning lots 16 pics) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 XTL SOHC 4x4 aka Big Tig (warning lots 16 pics)

99 XTL SOHC 4x4 aka Big Tig (warning 16 pics)

110246_1_full.jpg
110246_2_full.jpg

Some of you may have wondered where I came up "Big Tig". Well the answer is pretty easy, my previous car was a
93 SHO name "Tigger". It got the because of the tiger tattoo on my shoulder(which matches the rear window decal
exactly) and because of the growl the engine produced at WOT.

Dead Link RemovedDead Link Removed
Here is my X the day I brought it home. The first stop before coming home was the Tint shop where I had 5% Black Limo
installed around the rear and 35% up front with a 5% front strip.

The first major mod was the one piece Manik brushguard and a pair of KC Daylighter rated at 385,000 candle power
each. Next was the addition of a pair of rear fog lights. These were wired to come on automatically while in reverse
or with a switch on the dash.

My next project was to install the Low Glow blue/green Radicolor kit which was on my SHO. These pics suck but, you
get the idea.

Since my X came with the Crapstone tires, I decided to upgrade the rims along with the tires. These are polished
15x8 Ultra 152s with 30x9.50x15 BFG Mud Terrains. Even with a 2"TT I had to trim the fender about half an inch to
prevent minor rubbing at full lock.

The first thing to go was the Factory stereo system, which was promptly replaced with a Sony-M600 deck and a pair
of MTX 6000 12s powered by a MTX Thunder 152 amp.

Here is a really bad pic of the Tv which is controled by the deck. This amp is mounted under the rear
passenger's seat, I plan on replacing it soon with another MTX amp to power my mids and highs.

Here are some more pics of my not so finshed X. Lets all face it, once you start you'll never be finished.

Well thats it for now, I would like to thank you for taking the time to wait for all the pics to download. I'm always
open to comments and suggestion. So please give your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, now this happened

i unpluged everything and hooked up the positive to the battery, negative to ground, and the orange wire to the back up light, nothnig happen. put in rev, nothing. turn on switch, nothing happen. then, i swithced the wires. the orange to the battery and the positive to the back up light, i can turn on the aux light with the switch, nut when i go on reverse, nothing. any clue?
orange to battery
positive to back up light,
black to ground.
this combo works but it still will not come on at reverse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, at least we're getting some where.

Questions:

1. Where is the switch connected, is it on the wire coming from the battery?

2. When you flip the switch and the aux lights come on, are you in park of reverse?

the switch is hook up the the wire that goes to the battery.

te lights come on on park.

btw, it is a remote light.
Dead Link Removed

That ebay link said something about a remote switch, what is that and are you trying to used it?

Ok, this is how you have it right now:

Battery -> switch -> orange wire on aux light
Postive wire on reverse light -> positve wire on aux light
Groung wire on aux light -> ground on explorer

Does that sound right? There are only three wire to the aux lights: positve, negative, and the orange wire?

i'll try that combo. the link is the light that i have rightnow.

I meant is that the way you have it wired right now?

Do you know the web site for the company who makes those lights?

Back