• Register Today It's free!

99Sport needs to fit 315/75/R16's

99Sport

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Ok, I've went through about a hundred of these threads and I'm starting to get a headache but I just want some feed back on a few issues.
I want to lift my 1999 Explorer Sport so I can put on 315/75R16's (34.6x12.5)?
Can I use my 16" stock rims that are already on my vehicle?
Should I use the Trailmaster's 4" lift kit OR should I be doing a TT with Warrior Shackles OR should I do a addaleaf with a 3" body lift?
Any other suggestions would be great!
Next, if I ever get these tires on and I dont have to worry about the rubbing, do I need to get my alignment checked? Also, I figure my speedometer will be off a bit so is there a way to adjust that?
Lastly, are there any other adjustments that will need to be made after the lift has been done like gear ratio adjustments or steering adjustments?

Whew thats a long one!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your going to need a bit of lift, or hack your fenders. I would first start out with the 4" superlift. Stay away from the trailmaster lift. Then add a 3" body lift. you should be alright with that. Maybe a little trimming. Superlift has a speed calibrator to get your speedometer back to normal. What gears do you have now?? You will definitely have to get an alingment after installing all of this. Welcome to the site.

I would go cheapo 2" + 3" body + fiber fenders. Lower center of gravity, much cheaper, and more reliable than the 4" lifts.

Alec,

what do you mean by cheapo 2" and fiber fenders?

Just sent you a PM since I got that first.

Thanks for the responses.. well I've been researching various sites and talking to many other members of this site, getting their opinions on how I should approach this lift.. to refresh:

1999 Explorer Sport.. I'm going with 35/12.50R15 Pro Comp XTerrains on 15x10 wheels

Now I've been told to take a few different directions in performing this lift:

1. 2" suspension via TT and Warrior Shackles or Addaleaf + 3" body lift + Perry's Fiberglass fenders

2. 4" superlift.. "a little more expensive but worth it"

3. a torsion twist, shackles, AALs and a 3" body lift

4. Dana 60's front and rear, ARB Lockers, and Coilovers

Ok, this is where you experts come in. Which of these is the best way to go if I'm looking for the best driveability. Keep in mind I will be doing alot more on-road driving than offroad but still want to have fun in the sand mud etc on occasional weekends.. Also, I've been looking into steering stablizers.. do you feel these are necessary after such a lift?

1 and 3 are basically the same, #1 being that it will look better instead of having hacked fenders.

#2 worries me because I've heard of the late model 4" kits breaking, and you'd also need a body lift or fenders to help clear 35s. And it's very expensive.

#4 is the best option by far from an offroading standpoint. However, it is the most difficult and most expensive. With the right parts and engineering it could be very good on the road; however it could also be very rough and hard to handle too.

IMO your best option is to go #3, then get the fenders (to go with #1) after you ruin your stockers ;) Cheap, easy, reliable, and well performing onroad while not being too bad offroad.

Also, if you plan on wheelin' it good with 35's, say good bye to your IFS. You'll eat bearings and all other sort of goodies... Just aske Jefe.

Hey thanks for the tips guys!!

But Hokie, this may sound silly but what is IFS.. i'm not too familiar ith the acronym.. im a newbie.. sorry

Also, how about the steering stabilizers? I hear putting on those big tires can cause undesireable lack of control. Do you guys have any opinion on this and if so, whats a good brand to get?

I've had 35s on my truck for about a month now and so far so good. Lizardtrac ran 35s for about a year with the ifs before he went solid and as far as i know he didn't wear out any of the components. I beleive jefe was going through alot of parts because he was running a lockright up front and that puts alot more stress on the front end.

Yup, Jefe runs the lockright up front and also wheels a lot on high traction rocks. This puts a lot of stress on the front drivetrain, more than most of us will ever experience.

How do you guys feel about steering stabilizers?

Also, if I invest in some RS9000x, would I even need the steering stabilizers?

I have some bumpsteer with my 33x12.50s, but nothing too bad. If I had the time and found a good inexpensive stabilizer kit I'd put it on though.

How do you guys feel about putting Rancho 9000's in the front and 5000's in the rear? Necessary.. unnecessary??

I didn't think you could put a steering stabilizer with the rack and pinion?

how about the ranchos?

Having non adjustables in the rear to save a little money is ok.

Back