supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 117 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.....I just called crane. I don't have enough pre load. I set them at 1/2 turn at zero lash. They have told me it should be 1 full turn. I also asked them if I have to go and reset lash on all valves when I did this and they said no you can just add a 1/2 turn to each of them regardless of where the motor is sitting . It will be a little aggravating to get the valve covers off with all the crap that is around them but I have done them before . Even help do one in a Parkade once :D
Truthfully Andy I can't remember that but I will take your word on it . I've just become so burnt out lately and stressed hoping I don't screw anything up on this . That and I have also had a ton of problems with my right shoulder lately which makes things difficult to do. This weekend or tonight if it doesn't rain all pop off the valve covers and reset them . I have been thinking on this too. I think what I will do is put the blower mount on the 302 and both the supercharger on to it and block all my vacuum ports and see if I can smoke it on my spare motor. That way I will be able to tell if that amount is twisted to the point it's no longer sealing

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Tim, if you are just using RTV between the supercharger and mount then maybe try a home made gasket with RTV on both sides of it.
The gasket may absorb some little imperfections in flatness.

i did the rvt on its own once....once lol. damn near needed a pry bar to separate them. i did do the rvt sandwich the last time by using two home made gaskets with rvt between them and it worked but some of the rvt oozed out and getting that all off was a nightmare lol

Mount/RTV/Gasket/RTV/Supercharger.
That's how it should be.

Would Locktite 518 be better than RTV?

I am actually kind of terrified of using rvt on the bottom and top of a gasket for the simple reason I would never get the supercharger off. I had to use that when I had the M 90 and I pretty much ended up cutting The supercharger off the mount. When I first put this on the m112 on the 302 are used RVT with no gasket and I literally ended up prying it off .
However the nice thing about having a spare motor kicking around is you can use it instead of doing everything in the truck .

image.jpeg

I smoked the supercharger with it sitting on the 302 and found the driver side leaking pretty good. I am going to try doing the way I had it before and that was using two gaskets with RVT between them. I'm going to let it sit overnight and then re-smoke it in the morning . I also got my motor mount today as well so as long as it does not rain tomorrow will be a fairly busy day for me

I have been through 4 different superchargers and multiple times had to take it off and put it back on,
so I have to say you are right that it is very hard to get back off.
I have used a very long SnapOn prybar and really had to put some pressure on it to get it off.
It is a real hassle but it should still be mount/RTV/gasket/RTV/supercharger...... If you don't want any vacuum/boost leaks.
This area has to hold boost and vacuum, needs a strong bond.
The gasket will still rip/shear/tear apart when you remove it. Clean up is difficult, but doing it right so you don't have any leaks is worth it.
Remember vacuum leaks cause lean conditions, lean raises temperatures in the cylinders and can lead to detonation which can break even the most expensive pistons.
A thick gasket works better than thin ones, it will absorb more imperfections in flatness and tears easier when prying the thing back off with all your might.
I really want to see this truck perform at its maximum potential before this year is over, I am looking for you to drop into the 12"s.
I am sure this truck is more than capable of 12's.

What is the width of the surfaces you are sealing there for the blower? The wider it is, the harder it'll be to remove. But my thought is if it's wide enough, you can cut a groove in the mount surface that will help with sealing.

You might also consider cutting a few slots in the mount where it can help you pry it off. This is theory, I know it can't be done in all conditions. I compare this to removing the front D35 differential cover. If you ever have one of those out, think of how tough it is to make the cover let go. They didn't build any useful overhang edges into the diff, or the cover, to separate them. In doing it you can see where they should have built it to help removal.

well where do i start.....
put everything back together. gave all the rockers 1/2 turn. put the blower and mount on the same way i did it on the 302 pictured above. i noticed but didnt mention when i put the motor back in, that the belt is real hard to put on now. before it was good, but now i need a long breaker bar on the tensioner. i then started it up.
lifters still make some noise, but no where near as bad as before. vacuum was great. i did watch the oil presser. it starts off around 50psi or so when cold, but as it warms up, it drops to as low as i will say 13. i know i mentioned this earlier. looking up what some other people have had with the pump i have (stock replacement melling) it seems to be normal. still going from 25 at a hot idle to 13, is a little never racking to say the least.
i also thought i had heard some weird sound coming from someplace in the truck. i headed to my budy joes place to see if he could hear it.
when i got there, i shut it off and let it sit for a few mins. i then got him to jump in it, bring it to around 2000 rpms, hold it, then get off the gas. had the hood open while i did it, and i was under the hood seeing if i could figure out where it was coming from. well, he did it a few times. however i thought i saw a small puff of smoke come from the passengers side of the motor.
i asked him to do it again. nothing.
once more. nothing
one more time......KAPOW! the motor backfired threw the intake once again bending the mount.....good thing i was only a few blocks from home and was able to limp it home.
im getting good and taking the blower off. had it off in 15 mins using my electric 3/8 impact. and i wasnt even rushing it lol. i am going to see if the place that cut the alum for me the first time around is doing their alum run. if they are doing a run this week, i am going to break down and get them to cut me some alum so i can make a new mount. this one has been threw hell now and i am getting tired of dealing with it. the crappy thing is getting it cut isnt cheap and i still have to get it welded.
another thing i noticed was this

19691410_10154570534397513_300468572_n.jpg

i have oil pooling in the intake. which means the supercharger is sucking it in. i had a gutted pcv valve in my valve cover (that has no baffle, it was in there to cover a hole) going into my intake tube. i figured it was sucking oil out of the covers, and into my intake. i bought i k&n air breather for it. well, i started throwing oil down the side of the motor, and landing on the headers and spark plug wires. so when the motor was apart i put the gutted pcv back in, ran a hose from it to the pcv in the intake. however what i failed to see was that this was also running into the intake side of the blower. somedays i cant win....

I hear ya on the Milwaukee tools! try the m12 impact, mine really surprised me when it turned a 1/4 in adapter into a twisted piece of junk

IMG_20170703_233638.jpg

IMG_20170607_213204_862.jpg

put it back together today...again....
still not having ideal oil presser. i gave the machinist a call to make sure i didnt put anything together the wrong way. he figures my oil pump is going bad. which means....motor my have to come out....again...but he did tell me to try a mechanical gauge first just to make sure its not my gauge. i buddy of mine has one and said he will bring it home with him tomorrow.
i am going to call the parts store and see if they will bring in both stock, and high pressure pumps in. i cant remember if a high pressure pump is taller then a stock pump (i remember when i did my 429 it was, and they had a ***** fitting it in the pan).
it does suck. other then the backfire which i have no idea other then it was running rich because i had just started it up, it runs the best it has ever ran!

now i feel like a dumass. i have been stressing out about very low oil pressure. thinking either too much clearance on the rods and crank, maybe the lifters not pumping up, and i was almost set to start pulling the motor out again and replacing the oil pump, and checking the gaskets for the pump and screen. a few people asked what i was using for oil. 5w30. so after talking to a few engine builders one said to try 15w40. glad i did that. i now have about 25-30lbs oil pressure at hot idle, and around 45 cruising.
40 bucks for oil and a new filter just saved me and dono a weekend of hell.

I'm curious on the noisy valve train. is it quieter when hot now?

Excellent to hear. The oil viscosity is something you can adjust for the given engine and usage, including the clearances. Oils today are excellent for most all brands.

People should pick the one that works the best for their cars. I'm using thicker oil(at least 40w) for my 95 Crown Vic, because it has a rocker/valvetrain noise most of the time at hot idle. Thinner oil makes it more noticeable, and thicker oil reduces it.

last night was "lets take it for a drive and hope it dont break" night. went into the city for cruise night. it was also pretty damn warm to. first thing i figured it would do is overheat in traffic. nope.
got on and off it a few times, no problems. my heart almost dropped when we got to one of the places and i saw a big puddle forming under the truck, and when i looked under it, could see something dripping rather well. turns out my meth nozzle going into the intake tube broke (second one that has done that). going to see if snow performance one will work. that way i can toss the crappy AEM one.
i have a childhood friend thats in town at the moment with his 2 kids that surprised me by appearing out of nowhere last night as well lol. he told me his son liked the way evil sounded. so today i took them for a "little ride" :D
tapped the throttle a few times in town for them. dont think i could have smacked the smile off his sons face lol. then i went out on the highway. clicked it in 4x4, and let it fly. its done this in the winter with the smaller tires on it, but never in the summer with the 20's. when i nailed it, i heard the tires screech. that even surprised me. i looked at all of them out of the corner of my eyes, and all of the were pinned to the seat lol. his son liked that. however i almost made his daughter sick....whooops lol. but she took thought it was cool.
back to another issue. this lifter/rock tap is starting to drive me nuts. i have googled to see if anyone else has had the same noise/problem as me. everyone has posted that have comp gold rockers motors sound like a sewing machine. i hate that. if it doesnt rain tomorrow i am going to drive it to the machinist that did the crank for me to have a listen and see what he thinks. summit and crane have told me if the lifters are junk, they will warranty them for me however.

Awesome, a drama free drive and having fun. I hope the lifter noise is either no wear to worry about, or it can be corrected. Full roller rockers have always had the characteristic of louder lifter noise, but I've heard engines that the sound was very mild. I could live with a mild sound.

not to jinks you but the next time you have your motor out you should have your oiling system blue printed and opened up , our local Ford guru usually has the motors he builds idle at between 60/80 psi oil pressure depending on what its for, but its not just the pressure he also makes sure of volume movement by opening up and champhering all the oil gallys and even adding a few , sbf have a top end oiling problem at rpm already but its a balancing act to keep from starving the bottom end as well ,

your not jinxing me at all. i drive this thing like driving miss daisy.....if miss daisy were on crack....heading to a strip club....with death metal playing on the radio
its not a matter of "if" the motor comes out, its a matter of "when" the motor comes out

new lesson was learned today. going back to the loud lifter tic, i could also hear what i can best describe as a spring binding. i didnt want to post anything about it because i wanted to make sure what it was. well, today was that day. it sounded like it was coming from the passengers valve cover. it did this to me in the past but went away, then came back when i had the motor back in. after looking around i also noticed when it made that sound the tensioner for the belt would move. took a chance and ordered a motorcraft one. i grabbed this one off the 302 when i saw the one i was running at the time had the pulley starting to sit on a angle. put the new motorcraft one on, no noise. and what sounded like lifters clacking away also got quiet
so the lesson is, besides never replacing the cam sycro with anything but a motorcraft one a belt tensioner has now made the list.

It definitely seems like going Motorcraft saves a lot of headache.

Back