• Register Today It's free!

a/c assisted cold air intake

kyleyz762

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Just another weird idea I got bored. In the summer I usually run my air conditioning non stop and it blows ice cold. I was wondering if i could take 1 of the ducts and re-route and obviously add tubing to it to go under the hood and into my sealed heatshield for my cold air intake. i know i'd have to take this off for the winter time but just an idea to keep my truck from sapping out in this hot weather. anybody see any flaws in this? LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody see any flaws in this? LOL
At the rate that air is being used by the engine, there would be very little cold air going into the cabin. You might as well go with an intercooler pre - throttle body.

cool idea (subscribing)

If there would be a gain it would definately be lost by just running the A/C.

maybe not blow the cold air in but what about rerouting the entire a/c line into a custom a/c core and installing that inline with the air intake system....so the incoming air would have to flow through the a/c core of an older rig(i know on my full size jeep the a/c condensor core the one in front of the radiator is massive and the fins are spred apart pretty well) that would for sure cool off the incoming air

I think any benifit you Might gain from the cooler air would be negated by the drag of the a/c compressor on the system.

I think you would gain more performance by switching to an electric waterpump and electric fan.

As stated before, your engine pulls way more air than the A/C could keep up with. I'd put the rate at about 10 parts outside air to 1 part A/C, at that rate you might reduce air temp 1-2 degrees. I'd rather make a true working ram air/cold air system! Here's a site with a write-up http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/ram-cold-air.html it's pretty crude and would need to be adapted to the explorer but would give you an idea for very cheap!

maybe not blow the cold air in but what about rerouting the entire a/c line into a custom a/c core and installing that inline with the air intake system....so the incoming air would have to flow through the a/c core of an older rig(i know on my full size jeep the a/c condensor core the one in front of the radiator is massive and the fins are spred apart pretty well) that would for sure cool off the incoming air

Except the condensor is hot using air to cool the freon inside of it not the other way around.

I believe the AC clutch is switched off during WOT . That right there kills the idea

The drag of the compressor would by far negate any gains from this.

Keep on thinking though, you are on the right track

Go with a headlight intake instead ;)

DSC_0024-vi.jpg

Except the condensor is hot using air to cool the freon inside of it not the other way around.

i am not saying using the condensor to condense. i am saying use a condensor core on the cold side of the system, its the exact same thing you have in the "interior of the car" only reversed.

I do not think that the drag of the a/c compressor would be as big of a figure as you guys think it is. my thoughts on the a/c sytem might not "improve" horsepower maybe it would just equal out the draw of the a/c compressor.

i read somewhere that for like every 5degrees cooler it equates to some sort of hp ratio...

and a ram air cold air intake is only as cold as the ambient air temperature so if you are in texas and it is 105degrees your incoming air is 105deg. so if you could cool it down to 100 deg. you are still bennefitting.

i am not saying using the condensor to condense. i am saying use a condensor core on the cold side of the system, its the exact same thing you have in the "interior of the car" only reversed.

I do not think that the drag of the a/c compressor would be as big of a figure as you guys think it is. my thoughts on the a/c sytem might not "improve" horsepower maybe it would just equal out the draw of the a/c compressor.

i read somewhere that for like every 5degrees cooler it equates to some sort of hp ratio...

and a ram air cold air intake is only as cold as the ambient air temperature so if you are in texas and it is 105degrees your incoming air is 105deg. so if you could cool it down to 100 deg. you are still bennefitting.

A ram air intake forces more air into the engine. This will achieve the same goal as cooling the air. When the air is cooled it basically compacts allowing more air into the chamber, a ram air system compacts the air.

Ram air induction is used in almost all race cars because it works. A/C not so much so because your creating a drag on the system and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Your A/C system is not designed to handle that much air flow. The compressor would struggle to keep it even 1 degree under the ambient temp. You would need a home central air type of system to keep up with it just to give you an idea.

I already have a full cold air intake. and as many people with intakes know, when its real hot out it can be warmer air going in than with the stock airbox, depending on where you have it located obviously. im not sayin this happens with everybody, but it happens with mine. As for the a/c drawing power, i know it does but disagree with it cancelling out any power gains if i do this somehow. with my a/c blasted i think it would help power if I were to completely seal and insulate a duct. I was also thinking about having an a/c duct go off into a narrower pipe/tube going directly into the intake tube, similar to a vacume line maybe.. idk i have to figure it out. i dont think this direct idea would mess with the iac would it? sombody gimy idears. and BTW its R-134A lol

Maybe someone with solid numbers as to idle, 1/2 and 100% throttle air flow could post. Also air flow from the A/C on high. I can usually find these numbers but I'm having a brain fart atm.

A ram air intake forces more air into the engine. This will achieve the same goal as cooling the air. When the air is cooled it basically compacts allowing more air into the chamber, a ram air system compacts the air.

Ram air induction is used in almost all race cars because it works. A/C not so much so because your creating a drag on the system and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Ram air only works at speeds above what your engine can "draw in" below that it can be just as restrictive as the stock intake system depending upon how it is designed.

and yes i realize that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, but that doesnt mean the drag on the engine from the a/c is equal to or greater than the hp gains the cold air introduces. I am not a thermal dynamics nor fluid dynamics major, so i cant say for sure.

however it is something that cannot be theorized and turned down, it is something that will have to be tried before it is proven it doesnt work.

ya idk what duct im going to pull air from yet but im gona try it. i just have to get materials and **** for my little projjecct cus im boreed

Here is another route you can go same idea you have but made specific for this type of application. It will give you a boost of cool air into the intake when you need it. Alot of turbo guys use it. I looks like a nitrous setup but its not.

Cry02_TankInstallKit_Web_30.jpg

and here is the link: http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=72

HAA, yeah about that... i dont need my air to be colder that bad. that ***** like 2-300$!

Here is another route you can go same idea you have but made specific for this type of application. It will give you a boost of cool air into the intake when you need it. Alot of turbo guys use it. I looks like a nitrous setup but its not.

Cry02_TankInstallKit_Web_30.jpg

and here is the link: http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=72

That's a typical C O2 canister, I've seen them sold for a couple hundred $$. But you can build yourself the same thing with a paintball gun tank, remote tank hose and an easy mod to your MAF. I used to get a 48oz tank filled for $3.

If you build it yourself you can do it for less than $50.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i kindof just wanted to work with what i had. i have no interest in putting a c02 canister in. Im sure it works really good i just dont need it. im gona see if i can still utilize my a/c idea. right now im tryin to figure out exactly what this involves. the hardest part being gaining access to a duct and putting it thru the firewall if im not mistaken LOL. I know people have had their dashes ripped appart, how involved would it be to get to a duct? im thinking about using the passenger side top right corner one.. I just need to get behind it and see whats what. i know theres an airbag there and all sorts of other goodies in the way probly..

Back