A/c clutch replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/c clutch replacement.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I need to replace th clutch on my compressor soon as it grinds when it engages. From what I've seen, it involves removing the bolt and a ring to remove the bearing. Then you use a feeler gauge to set the correct space. Is that all there is to it?

I've also found this kit from advanced auto, it's the only kit Ive been able to find for my 2000. Is this correct?

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sh...3-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15015|L3*15816

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much. I changed one of mine about 2 years ago. The hardest thing was getting the damn snap ring off and back on because it's holes are usually on the bottom. Disconnect the transmission lines at the radiator (using 2 wrenches) to give yourself more room.

Once the bolt and ring are off the pulley comes off easily and the electromagnet piece is just sorta pressed on the snout of the compressor. I just used a couple of big screwdrivers to wiggle it off.

The new clutch pulley will come with little washer things to use as spacers. I set the "air-gap" the way the instructions said, but it was too close and I had to take it apart again the next day and add another spacee. I think that happened because the pulley wasn't all the way up against the snap ring.

Wasn't too bad of a job.

Pretty much. I changed one of mine about 2 years ago. The hardest thing was getting the damn snap ring off and back on because it's holes are usually on the bottom. Disconnect the transmission lines at the radiator (using 2 wrenches) to give yourself more room.

Once the bolt and ring are off the pulley comes off easily and the electromagnet piece is just sorta pressed on the snout of the compressor. I just used a couple of big screwdrivers to wiggle it off.

The new clutch pulley will come with little washer things to use as spacers. I set the "air-gap" the way the instructions said, but it was too close and I had to take it apart again the next day and add another spacee. I think that happened because the pulley wasn't all the way up against the snap ring.

Wasn't too bad of a job.

Ok cool. I shouldn't have the problem with the lines getting in the way since the 4.0 has the compressor on top and it's easy to access. Do you remember where you bought your clutch?

Ok cool. I shouldn't have the problem with the lines getting in the way since the 4.0 has the compressor on top and it's easy to access. Do you remember where you bought your clutch?

I bought it from Advance Auto Parts on-line. Used a discount code and free shipping. It arrived the next day, which was just a fluke I'm sure.

When I got my Limited I noticed the A/C pulley was noisy.
Turned out the bearing was seized and the pulley was spinning around after breaking away from the bearing mount.

When I got my Limited I noticed the A/C pulley was noisy.
Turned out the bearing was seized and the pulley was spinning around after breaking away from the bearing mount.

My clutch was rattling whenever the compressor was running. It was the OE 3-post style clutch. The insulators had worn out/broken long ago and the posts had worn the once round holes oval. I chose to replace the clutch with a different style. It's been working great for over 2 years now.

Just put a new clutch assembly on my 5.0, was a royal pain in the ass. And hope you actually get the right part, as you can see from my thread the correct assembly number had multiple different sizes at various stores, finally tracked the correct one down, seems where their made the factory must be operating on a "case of the Mondays" every day. I went through 4 clutch assemblies at one store, all correct #, before one was the actual one made to fit correctly, let alone all the other stores I visited that had my 47881 part number but in various incorrect sizes lol

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426989

Back