• Register Today It's free!

A/C Removal Questions..

Eman30

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94'Explorer
I am planning on removing my a/c compressor and heater box and replacing the big bulky one with a Non-A/C heater box from a 82-89 Ranger. I just replaced my Core Support and pulled out my condenser also unplugging the 2 wire plug on top of the compressor by the belt and pullys but i need to know what i can and cant remove to completly remove th A/C for good! I know the box of the 82-89 Ranger plugs right up but im kinda lost still. Any info would be great!
Thanx!
E-man..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you know a little bit about something, because you don't sound lost, lol. Basically everything connected to the compressor can be removed. I did mine a couple of months ago, but I need to find a non ac heater box still.

HaHa well I do know a thing or two but its always good to double check yourself. What did you do about a pully? Did you buy an adapter or run your belt differently?

Remove the compressor and get a belt for a 4.0l without A/C. That's what I did in the fall. I still need the non-A/C heater box.

Okay sweet. I figured that was the way to go about that.
any more things i shoud be aware of before jumping right in on this?

92 and 93 Rangers had the same 4.0 with out a/c. It prolly comes up the same on there computers. Im sure it helps the drag over-all on the pullys too without pulling that heavy compresor.

I went to the local junk yard (Johnny's Auto Salvage in Newville, PA) to get a non ac box out of a ranger about 2 weeks ago. I explained what I was going to be doing and that I needed to pull the blower housing assembly from an older ranger to the guy who pretty much runs the place (Gary). Well needless to say he disagreed with me and told me I would need dash switches, wiring harness, and everything and its brother to complete this swap all for the cheap price of $100. I walked out pretty pissed because I have pulled my own parts there before for (for real cheap too) and my dad gave that junk yard an engineless '87 Bronco II WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING!!!! Long story short I still need to find a non ac housing.

I dont see why you would need to get a new harness and switches. I think the worst that could happen is you would be supplying power to something that is Not plugged in. The new box pluggs right up and should fix just fine. I have a buddy with a ranger and the pluggs look the same just without the huge a/c box thing in the way.

Idk yett. I think a little more research will be needed before I tackle this. Anymore comments are appreciated!

Yeah that is what made me mad. I knew exactly what I needed and that guy was talking to me like he knew what he was talking about. I just went there to by a simple plastic housing out of one of the dozens of rangers he had. No worries though cause I will take my business elsewhere. :chug:

My ac compressor has been unplugged for probably 2 years and no problems. The only thing I need is that non ac housing, so I can free up some room in the engine bay, then the only way you can tell it had ac is if you look at my fan control switch when your sitting inside.

It is also nice not having the compressor kick on when I have the defrost on. I hated how much power the ac robbed from my vehicle.

A lot of local junkyards around here are the same way. like Acre Auto for instince. I called to get the rubber piece for inside my clutch resivour and the guys told me that didnt exist. Just like you I knew exatly what i needed but they were to ignorant to listen. I figured it was one of those things with me being a youngin again.

Thats the EXACT look im going for. I want it to look just like it was never even there. Would you mind taking a few pics so I can get an idea of what to expect. I think I might start this weekend.

Its good to hear that you've had no problems with the compressor un-plugged i was nervous about that becoming a problem in the future.

Okay so I went out today and started pulling some wires that I have already unplugged being the two wire plug(left). and the round plug(right) from the hose that was connected to my condenser. On pic #2 this plug and another just under it are connected to the same harness as the two I have already removed. The one below going to the main engine wiring harness. Can I remove these to pull the whole a/c wiring out?

160u3ib.jpg

2dgrqyx.jpg

I pulled this out and saw some green fluid that looked like radiator fluid. Please tell me this isnt a part of my trans cooling. I can also remove the circled hose correct?
3469dmx.jpg

Okay so I went out today and started pulling some wires that I have already unplugged being the two wire plug(left). and the round plug(right) from the hose that was connected to my condenser. On pic #2 this plug and another just under it are connected to the same harness as the two I have already removed. The one below going to the main engine wiring harness. Can I remove these to pull the whole a/c wiring out?

Yes you can remove the ac wiring harness from the main harness. Here is the pictures of the two ends of the one I removed

100_1502.jpg

100_1499.jpg

I pulled this out and saw some green fluid that looked like radiator fluid. Please tell me this isnt a part of my trans cooling. I can also remove the circled hose correct?

You pulled the right hose... As long as it is connected to the air conditioning compressor you are fine.

i did this awhile ago and love it,you will be surprised how much room you gain,one of my fav mods.if you got any question i can help,its straight plug and play nothing else needs to be changed:thumbsup:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252644
some teaser pic:D
stock old motor,cant even see the block or back plug(blur pic)
vq029e.jpg

o01mhu.jpg

25f1s46.jpg

24fadee.jpg

amv72u.jpg

Back