A Little Help Would Be Appreciated. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Little Help Would Be Appreciated.

BWTGUY

Reaction score
City, State
La Crescenta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 4X4
I finally worked up enough courage to open up Bebe's (my BrownEddieBaurExplorer) front end and start the ball-joint, brake, and front drive universal replacement.
Of course Cap'n Murphy and his law functioned flawlessly. Everything came apart with ease until the point I tried to remove the Knuckle on the right side and the lower ball joint would not cooperate. OK, I sprayed the ball joint with PB Blaster and beat the hell out of it for an hour and a half. NO SUCCESS.:mad:
I decided I'd just replace the outer U-Joint while the PB Blaster worked.
I removed the c clips in the joint (the inside the U-joint C clips) and tried to press out the U-joint. No-Joy! The U-joint will not move even though the clips have been removed. A magnifying glass look at the joint shows no other clips.:(
Am I just having a bad hair day or is there something I don't know about the ball-joint and U-joint removal. HELP!

Anybody?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are just not mad enough yet. If the threads on the ball joint sre dinged up, you may have to cut it off with a small die grinder with a cutting wheel attached. It is possibl to get the nut cut off well enough to remove it.

The u joint probably requires a tap with a hammer while you have pressure on it.

I have all the nuts removed (not mine!) but no joy. The strange part is that this is a California car and nearly rust free. I put the nut back on the first 4-5 threads of the ball joint so when (if ever) it pops, the knuckle will not fall on my toes. I am using a 4 Lb hand sledge to hammer the PP**S out of the joint but so far no success. I sprayed it with about a 1/4 can of BP Blaster last night so this morning I may have better success. Wish me luck.

Please tell me you going at this with a ball joint/ u joint c-press. You can get the prety cheap at Harbor Freight or rent one at a autoparts store. I had to put all new u-joints, ball joints and steering componets in the front end of my X when i first bought it. I tried to do it by hand and had no luck, my dad brought home a press from harbor fright and it went like a dream. You do need an air compressor and a impact tho. If not it will work with a breaker bar but is difficult. Ive been im your position befor and i know how frustrateing it can be. youll get her just keep at it.
Good luck,
Adam

Ball Joint:
The Right side Knuckle: Did you already do the other side? And that one came off?
The pinch bolt on the top Ball joint is lose? Are you hitting the Knuckle with the Hammer or the top of the upper Ball joint?

If you are pressing them out with the Large C clamp style extracter, you will need a long handle to crank it tight enough. I take mine out differently. I always rest the Yoke on the top of the Vise and hit down on the shaft to drive the Cap out the one side. Only hit the on the Weld, you don't want to bend anything.

Oh are you sure you got all the 'C' clip out? sometimes they do break. You can hit the caps in a bit to get them to start to move before driving them out.

Come on guys, I'm old not stupid. I have and am using the C clamp, a Slap-hammer, a LARGE vice, an air impact tool, and a 4 Lb hand sledge. As suggested by Turdle, I am now mad enough so will try again.

Thanks Tbars, I found that one earlier before I started on all this then lost it until last night when I did a search after checking my temper at the door <GRIN>. Of course you would be the one to send it to me. Greatly appreciated.

Mr. Turdle, I tried a pickle fork to no avail so now back to the 4 Lb sledge. In another life I referred to it as a Tennessee persuader.

Tony H - Nope, I started with what everyone told me was the toughest one to do. I still have the driver's side to look forward too....lucky me.
I am looking at all four (4) c clips from the universal joint and they are a) all the same size and b) not broken. I have not yet hit the yoke but will put the C clamp on the yoke, tighten her up, and then hit the yoke top with a small 1.5 Lb hammer.

That should do it I hope. Well I'm off to the gem mine with the rest of the dwarfs.

Oh Happy day! I just put the knuckle in and am going out after dinner to install the drive shaft (Rt side-Passenger side) PB Blaster, encouragement from Turdle to "get mad", and a BFH turned the tide.

Turdle last night 7 -8 great! This morning not so much...

Thanks to all who offered advice. It is for that reason this is a great WEB site.
Even if it is not what ultimately worked, it is the starter stuff for the ol' gray matter.

Last posting on this. I completed the entire front end replacement (tie rods, tie rod ends, steering, lower steering shaft rebuild, ball joints and brakes. A quick alignment and two new tires (street) later, and the truck drives like...well a truck! but the steering and braking are like new.

Thanks to all that gave encouragement and yes, I'd do it again.

Back