• Register Today It's free!

A new kind of alternator thread

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
Ok. I'm getting geared up to upfit my alternator (funny the Ford manual still refers to them as a generator).

Anyone figured out how to shoehorn in the '05 Crown Vic Police Interceptor 200 amp stock alt into the V6 Explorer?

NFW I am paying 200-300 for a so-called upgraded/high output alternator, so, what does the hive know on this topic?

As ever,

Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You obviously want more amperage...you can achieve that a few ways

1. Use your stock Alternator, and put a smaller pulley on it. The downside to this, it wears the Alternator out quicker and you may have to purchase a new belt. Used alternators are plentiful in junkyards, but is it worth it for the increased work?

2. OEM alternator from a different vehicle. I have a Chevy s10 and i put an alternator from a full sized chevy truck in there, because the bolt configuration is the same as the one on my s10. I bought it used at a JY and installed it, in anticipation of receiving some off road lights and upgraded stereo system. This is the situation you're looking at...do you have any pictures of the Crown Vic one? I looked online and the 4.0 Alternator part # references the applications as 4.0L explorer, ranger, and mazda B series pickups. No mention of the Crown Vic one, but it says it replaces the following part #s :

FORD 5L2T-10300-AA, 5L2Z-10346-AA, 6L2T-10300-BA, 6L2Z-10346-BA, 5L2T10300AA, 5L2Z10346AA, 6L2T10300BA, 6L2Z10346BA FORD ENGINEERING 5L2T-AA, 6L2T-BA, 5L2TAA, 6L2TBA MAZDA 1F72-18-300A, 1F72-18-300B, 1F7218300A, 1F7218300B MOTORCRAFT GL-646, GL-663, GL646, GL663

link: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/new-alt...0O82E5O8Eaf0-Po328Ch7iUSsj4d8xtq3c3PNfZ_w_wcB

3. You can purchase a High Output Alternator, but thats pricey. I read somewhere that they use the OEM Alternators, and add better/more windings in order to produce a higher amperage. With this being said, the higher amperage would personally warrant the big 3 upgrade, and maybe an additional ground or two just to be safe.

Each has their +/-, its up to you how much work you would like to do now AND in the distant (or not so distant) future.

I also believe you have to ref lash the computer to let it know you have more amps coming into it?? maybe I'm delirious though...

i ordered mine from powerbastards.com
they have a 250 amp H/O for our explorers. just make sure you call if your going to order the one advertised as a direct fit for us does not fit, but he does have them

also plan on looking into the big 3. the stock wiring cannot handle the increased amperage

Great points, all.

I know of the power *******s one, but I'm not shelling out that kinda cash.

Can't swap another alt into these vehicles. There is two lines that talk to the PCM, and do regulating. (Well, not easily enough)

All I got to do is get my hands on one of the 05 alts, pull a part sells them for like $20. Then, a few case mods, and boom, tons of amps cheap! I just didn't want to say too much because I've seen threads like this result in runs on items, you know? :)

And, you really have to do a big 4 or 5. All the wiring in these things are designed for grocery getting, not mission critical stuff... :p

Thanks!

Oh yeah, missed a couple of points. Yes, the brain most likely has to be recalibrated for the change.

The 05 CV alt is unique, and it only comes in that vehicle that year. It is a 6 style case, designed for a V8. I got a 6 so it's not gonna be a bolt in.

If I had time to devote, I'd rewind and add two diodes and just make my own. I think this will work, and if it does, it'll be a big thing for the Explorer community. Kinda my last donation here, lol.

Just waiting on a donor alternator...

Shawn

I bought an upgraded DC Power 270 amp alt and yes there is only one connector for it....My battery light on my instrument cluster is constantly on and every ten minutes a "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" warning comes up on the display and beeps at me. but the alt works well....Have not clamped it yet when running my amplifiers full tilt....

High_Order 1 I still have the stock alt still and if explained to me what is going on more I would be willing to help. I had to keep the stock because when I was in North Carolina I wouldn't pass safety inspections with the upgraded alt in so for the day of inspection I would install the stock one real quick. But now I'm in Florida and they don't inspect :)

Back