ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I am thinking about getting some Expedition or F-150 A-Pillar handles for my truck. I would probably get the ones off like a 98-2000 Expedition because it'll probably fit my A-pillar better. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get some. I searched ebay and they don't seem to have any. I need Tan. I might just need one for the passenger side, since I don't have a problem getting into my own truck. Thanks

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ExplorerDMB00 said:
I am thinking about getting some Expedition or F-150 A-Pillar handles for my truck. I would probably get the ones off like a 98-2000 Expedition because it'll probably fit my A-pillar better. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get some. I searched ebay and they don't seem to have any. I need Tan. I might just need one for the passenger side, since I don't have a problem getting into my own truck. Thanks

-Drew

It would be easier to find some off a Sport Trac. They should match up if you get the molding too.

ahhhh I love this mod. :) Look for any vehicle in the junk yard, a couple of well placed and installed screws and BLamo you are done.
Toyota 4runners have some nice pillar mounted handles, I like the ones that fold flat when you are not using them

I always wondered something...what is the functional purpose of those handles?
Is it to hold on if you're going over big bumps, or what? For me, the ones that don't fold flat are just something to hit your head on. ouch!

They are in the right spot for holding on in some off road situations yes, but no the drivers side it is much more useful for helping you get back up in the truck when you park in places like I do, with 1 tire 3 feet in the air. The steering wheel works good too, but you dont always want to grab onto something that turns. :)

410Fortune said:
Look for any vehicle in the junk yard, a couple of well placed and installed screws and BLamo you are done.
Are you talking sheet metal screws? Doesn't seem durable enough. Or is there a way to get a nut and washer behind there?

Bill ever seen a Drywall anchor? Same idea.....

You can cut a small notch, or line, or whatever you want to call it right above the hole and install one of those fancy metal clips you see all ovre your truck, or you can use a drywall anchor, small one, or you can do like I do and use some really hig quality self tapping screws that have NEVER come loose on me.....yeah I was surprised too....these are some self tapping screws and they come with a little washer with rubber on one side, they have never come loose on me.
I have used all three methods in the past :)

Posting for updates, I am curious to see how this turns out. Sounds like a nice mod :)

rollcage!

I was told to use self-tapping sheetmetal screws from the guyst at work. I will try to find a local junk yard that might have some. I have a friend at a local yard, he might be able to give me a good price. Thanks everyone.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB00 said:
I was told to use self-tapping sheetmetal screws from the guyst at work. I will try to find a local junk yard that might have some. I have a friend at a local yard, he might be able to give me a good price. Thanks everyone.

-Drew
Keep us posted, without a welded in backing plate and at least two 10-24 bolts and nuts, sheetmetal screws, screwed into sheet metal, just will not work IMO.

I disagree, I have had my oh **** handle on the pass side installed with self tapping screws for years now, and my buddy is 250# and he has been wheeling with me a few times, its still holding :)

i allways bump my head on them in my grandpas 03 super crew. i dont like them but oh well.

If your spending time to do it, I say go with the ones that fold up. Jamie, got a pic of yours or are they the same as a 1st gen X?

Mine came stock. And i've never had any problems hitting my head on them, and i'm 6'3". It was always really funny though to watch my mom grab hold of them anytime we went around a corner. But thankfully she doesn't get in it anymore now that it's mine. But if I had an 04 eddie, I wouldn't be getting in it either.

I might not be able to make it out to the yard this weekend (the weather isn't suppose to be nice at all) - so I might have to wait til next weekend and then actually taking the a-pillar apart and seeing what I can do. Thanks for all the help guys and advice. I will take pictures and do a write up if I decide to go through with it.

-Drew

I found new handles (front and rear) for a 02-04 Explorers, but they are like $27 a pop. Little expensive I think. And when I was on newfordparts.com, they only showed Graphite, nothing about Tan! So It looks like my best bet is to look at a junk yard, to make sure I get the right color and that it looks like it'll fit.

-Drew

Also try ones from the Escape ;)

Well I was able to get a look at the new Explorer handles, and they don't look like they'll match up too well because of the different a-pillar panel. The new Explorers have a bigger piece and if I took the handle off of that, it woulnd't look good (lots of gap) on mine! So, Looks like I'm down to these types:

98-04 Expedition
??-?? Sport Trac
??-?? Escape

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back