A4LD has no Forward Gears...Still Have Reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD has no Forward Gears...Still Have Reverse

59Bisquik

Reaction score
City, State
Barstow, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Bronco II
I was out on a little road trip in my B2. After a good 300+ mile trip we were almost home. After taking off from a stop light and getting ready to shift to 2nd gear, it just seemed to slip out of gear! Fortunately I was able to coast over to the side of the road. I have no forward gears and it makes a whine while in gear that goes up and down in pitch and volume with engine RPM. Fortunately Park and Reverse worked and I was able to get where I was going in reverse!!

I need some advice on what to do. This is the second time I will be replacing the tranny and it needs to be up and running for a Rubicon trip in August! I have 20 days to repair it or replace it. I found a place in Phoenix that will sell me one for a decent price or should I give rebuilding it a shot? I have seen kits out there and it cant be all that difficult. Any ideas on what might be broke or should I just replace it??

Do you have a manual, or automatic transmission? You said that it acted up after taking off from a stop light while getting ready to shift into 2nd gear. If it's an automatic transmission, did you check your fluid level? It might be low.

Back