• Register Today It's free!

a4ld swap torque conv binding up

rogerandalisa

Reaction score
City, State
des moines iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer 4x4
I just swapped an a4ld from 91 4x4 explorer to my 93 4x4 everything went fine until i tried to rotate engine to put flywheel to torque conv bolts on. Engine locked up when the tranny is tightened up to block. If I loosen up tranny bolts it will spin but the tighter the bolts the less it turns. What am i dong wrong.

The torque converter has to seat completely into the bellhousing. There are different parts which the torque converter has to align itself to. You have to wiggle, and turn the torque converter while seating it. When it's completely seated, you will feel that it's in all of the way.

I had the same problem when I reinstalled my transmission in my 1993 4x4 XLT. I had to back the transmission off and spin and push and push the torque converter in and it finally pushed / snapped all the way back, into place. The transmission then slid all the way up to the engine. Before that I had a problem with the last 1/2' to 3/4" sliding the transmission up to the motor.

I actually slid the transmission back on some extra lo-o-ong spare power steering bolts I had sitting around (4 of them, I believe, from other vehicles I had dismantled at earlier dates). This way I didn't have to drop the transmission back out to get in there to seat the torque converter and the transmission was still lined up to slide back up to the motor when I was done.

Back