• Register Today It's free!

A4LD update.

86caprirs

Reaction score
City, State
Chestermere, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4.0L 4x4 XL
So i had no 4th gear.checked solinoids.good.So i removed the trans and pulled it appart.I found that everything before the center support is destroyed.Seem like what holds the spring in on the OD drum broke,trashed the OD planetaries,OD band,sprag and the star washer.I removed the support and checked everything else and it is good.So now i will replace the hard parts and band and see how she runs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

isn;t it easier to find a used transmission/

its an excellent learning experience and there will be nobody or anything to blame if it turns out for the worst

Well lets see. Find one at the wreakers for a price of $500.00 - $700.00 Can with no history on the trans.....or because i work for Ford...spend $300.00 Can total and get all new frictions/steels,seals and the O/D drum,O/D band,transgo a4ld jr shift kit,new sprag and all thurst washers and spend a couple hours rebuilding it myself.

I will go for option B.

be sure and get the FORD upgraded spring retainer for the OD clutch. THAT is what caused your earlier problem and they upgraded it.

I am all over that....Just replaced all parts today including all seals and torqued to spec.I still have to flush the cooler and torque converter then put it all in.
So should I use Merc 5 for fluid or just stick with the Dex 3????

Unless you want to go to full syn, Dex \Mercon III is fine.

Well the thing is that i have alot of extra merc 5 kicking arround from other trans flushes.I did not know if it offers anymore protection against parts and heat too?

I do not claim some expertise on the issues of trans fluids, and know this board has some really great brains on this subject. So, with that warning let me offer what I *understand* to be the case, and pray someone a whole lot smarter than me reads it and chimes in (possibly telling you the following "advice" is FOS.)

Merc V is s semi syn. I think almost by defeinition that means it offers some superior anti oxidizing properties and will handle and disperse heat better with less problem sludges and varnish. However (starting onto thin ice here) it is also my understanding that the friction properties in the additives in Merc V make it perform differently than Merc III - and that the friction materials in the Merc V trannies is formulated slightly differently as a result.

IF that is correct, I would not just adjust the diet of an old trannie with frictions in clutches, bands and the TC made for Merc III to start using Merc V.

If you are interested in the improved qualities synthetics offer I'd go full syn... mind you it will be pricey.

Not sure if this helps you or not. Take the italicized advice with a grain of salt until someone confirms this.

(ps. ALL too often someone on this board lacking real knowledge will offer as "gospel" some advice that is just plain flat out wrong. I suggest you 'confirm" advice you receive and be aware of the qualifications and reputation of the person offering it.)

It has run on Dex 3 for 13 years now,why change it.

the man is a genius (glacier991)

He just try's to play himself down.....This man is the reason i rebuilt my trans......To be honest,i followed the diary instead of listening to the trans guys at work.

awww guys..... thank you for the kind words.

This thing shifts like a dream. The trans shifts so nice and smooth and i have OD again.Well there you have it.$300.00 to rebuild it and it is really a nice shifting transmission. I am happy.

Nice job. Sure beats a $1500 rebuild.

Congrats !! This is exactly why I put the Diary up on the Board!

86caprirs said:
I am all over that....Just replaced all parts today including all seals and torqued to spec.I still have to flush the cooler and torque converter then put it all in.
So should I use Merc 5 for fluid or just stick with the Dex 3????

did you have to pull it or did you do it while in the vehicle...

She had to be pulled.Everything between the pump and the center support was replaced.

so you had to tear into it pretty good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back