AFTER 2 inch body, 2 inch suspension, and other mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AFTER 2 inch body, 2 inch suspension, and other mods

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet car...looks great...i need to do something like this...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on your lifts?

98EB-I have the same setup as him, it is about $100 for the body lift, $200 for the suspension lift, but you can't really put those on yours if you have a '98 without some modifications. Hope this helps!!

Im going to be buying new rims, and 32x11.50 tires soon.

As for how much I spent, actually I did it for alot cheaper than Asugolf14.

I bought the body lift new, from a member on this board who never used it it was still in the box. I got that for $60 total, which is alot off its usual price of about $110.

The 2 inch skyjacker suspension lift I got from 4wheelparts.com. It cost about $225 with shippingThey were offering free shocks currently then, so I got it, after a rep. told me they would give me the shocks. Another person ended up telling me after I had the lift that they didnt give me shocks because all my lift was was coils and add a leaf. He talked to the other guy and it ended up they had to give them to me. So I got $125 shocks for free. But I bought used rs5000's for $100. Sold those for like $100 to a guy here and got alot of the money from the lift back. Then alignment cost me about $60.

It's lookin' good! I studied your pics because I'm doing pretty much the exact same lift in the next week or so. 2" body lift,
longer coils, but I'll be using Warrior shackles instead of the add-a-leafs. I have a set of 15x8 rims and I'll be going with 32x11.5s too. It was nice to have kind of a preview of what mine will look like. :)
Did you run into any snags while doing the lift or did things go fairly smooth? How long did it take to do the body lift? When you put the new springs in, did you have to wait for them to break in and level before you did the alignment? The guy who is doing my srings said to wait and drive around for 400 miles or so and let them level. Don't know if he's BS'ng me or not. I'd prefer to get it all done at once.
Rick

PS: Are those Ch*vy truck tow hooks you used?

Starting to look sweet...What's next???

rickcar - On the suspension lift, everything went smooth except getting the leaf pack bolt out, but you dont need to worry because you are doing shackles. I would do shackles if I did it over, not because its ruffer ride, but because it wont lower the ground clearence a 1/3 inch like the add a leaf did, since I had spring under. I need to find some kind of skid plate for those u bolts. Or maybe switch to the warriors

The front springs, I didnt wait but like 20 miles to get it aligned... I dont think it really matters.. if it throws the alignment off it wont be enough to matter.

Other than that the suspension lift went fine. Except my local shop when aligning said they may have to put in drop down brackets and I told him I knew I wouldnt and he ended up aligning it fine. But while it was there they had to shim it because one side was higher, and replace my radius arm bushings (radius arm bushings costs alot) but luckily my dad paid for those parts.

The body lift went smooth i took my time, because it was during exam time, and i had to study. I just worked like 2 hrs. a day for about 5 hrs, 1 hr some days. The only bolt that got stuck was the front drivers side, but i got the whole assembly off by getting the top part of the bolt off, and then cutting half the plate its on off, to get the bolt off, and everything works fine. Im still trying to come up with a way to raise the bumpers im not sure what to do yet. I didnt get any brackets. I didnt even have to relocate any wires. My emerg. brake line new thing didnt work, so i have to work on that, but for now its ok, i dissconnected its bracket from up in the fenderwell, so the lines longer now. The lift prob. took me about 8 hrs. total. But thats just myself, and no help, and the first body lift ever, with no tools. And im pretty young so I thought i did decent.

PS. rickcar, if you want any more pics of certian stuff, feel free to ask, I can use the moms digi cam.

mdrut,
As for future mods, I dont think there are many left Im gonna do. I will get the 32x11.50 all terrians this summer hopefully. I have 3:27 gears currently, and i wont offroad TOO much because I cant afford to even fix much haha, so, I got some used 3:73 gears, that I will get put in, probably right after the tires are in. The only other thing im looking to buy now is maybe a cheap front locker (anyone have one!?!?!) and maybe a limited slip in the back. I need opinions on that stuff.

PS. Those are chevy towhooks. I got them, and where that cross member is near the front, there are 2 openings in the frame, and the tow hooks fit perfect without even drilling holes! I got the chevys, because they have a plate that wont turn instead of nuts, when you are tightening, which will make it easier, plus i like the look of them. If anybody has ideas on raising bumpers tell me! Oh yeah, I like the look of no bumper up front, would a jeep bumper fit up there? because its small and stuff.

i also just wanted to say, that has to be the longest post I have ever written above haha.

and oh yeah rickcar, what kind of longer springs are you getting? may i ask how much they cost?

I'm not exactly sure what kind of springs they are going to be. My freind is going to do the work (he works at a Car-X) and he said he'll just order what I need. He just lifted a Ranger for one of his other freinds and they are the same. He told me around $60 for the pair of springs which sounded like a great price to me. I was going to go with the F-150 spring seats but when he said $60, I said screw the F-150 idea. lol
My body lift (it's a Dick Cepek) came with all the bumper relocating plates. When I finish my lift I can let you know how they worked. If they work out well, I could give you some measurements of the plates and you could make them yourself. They are just 4, looks to be 1/4" thick, plate steel with four holes in each one. They would be very simple to make. Well, I work in a bodyshop though so I'm used to fabricating things :)
My kit also came with the emergency brake cable relocating brackets and also a steering sector extension. BTW I bought the body lift (brand new in the box) off Ebay a while back for $50 including shipping.
I like the Chevy tow hook idea. Wish I would have thought of that. I just recently bought a pair of aftermarket chrome hooks off Ebay but they don't look half as heavy duty as yours.
It looks like you did a great job and the time you spent doing the body lift seemd to be the norm. I read a couple of other posts and they said between 8 and 10 hours to do the lift.
I'll post some pics of my truck when it's done and we can compare. Then you can see what yours will look like with the 32x11.5s. :) Unless you beat me to the punch and get your tires first.
Wow, my post is almost as long as yours! hehe
Rick

Cool.. I got my body lift brand new on from a member here for $60. I didnt need the steering extension.... the shaft thing stretched plenty enough. If you fabritcate, is there anyway you could fab. me some brackets to raise the bumpers? I would pay of course....

I'll see what I can do. Like I said though, I'll wait til mine is done and see how well they work. The ones they gave might be kinda crappy. lol
I should be able to hook you up though. I'll just need some plate and my trusty drill.
Rick

Alrighty man. Just email me if you want when you figure it out. I would love to have a JEEP front bumper though.

Few problems I've seen. One. Wait to get the alignment done. The springs will start to sag due to the weight and throw off the angles that everything is at. Any slight change will mess it up and cause headaches. Two....running with no bumper is bad. If you get into a wreck the car in front of you is in trouble. It will act like a saw. Put one on even if it looks funny for now. If you want to upgrade look at SmittyBuilt. They make a J##P style. :)

leebo,
Thanks for the info on the springs. Guess I'll just wait it out on the alignment.
Rick

Yeah, BoatsRcool is right, you will definitly need an alignment or you will jack up your tires. Also, BoatsRcool, do you still have your PA bumper brackets?? If so, it is pretty easy to lift the bumpers. All I did was just fab a piece to make the brackets work using a torch, and the bumpers look completly normal. Hope this helps!!

Well my tires are shot right now anyways. Pretty bad cupping on the inside of both front tires. Funny thing is, all I was originally going to do was get the front end done and get a new set of tires. Now all of a sudden (after coming here and getting the bug) it's getting the front end done, doing a 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, new rims, a Hypertech chip, and bigger tires. And the list goes on and on. LOL
So, my new question is: As long as I don't care what I do to the tires (since I'll be getting brand new ones) Is it best to wait for the alignment? Or do you think I'll chew up the tires that fast? And will the truck even be safe and drivable without having it aligned?
I'm now starting to think that the F-150 spring seats might be better. Since it could be aligned right away.
New springs or spring seats?
Thanks for the help. :)
Rick

Weird, the posts seem to be in a mixed up order. Or is it just me and my puter?

Ok Im not driving it around.. this isnt my daily driver... so if I dont have a bumper its not a big deal.

2 - seriously the springs are not going to sag enough to let it be worth waiting on the alignment. YOU WILL screw the tread on your front tires after 500 miles without alignment. I dont know if leebo has seen how unaligned it is after the lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is the benefit of buying the springs as opposed to the coil spacers.

More lift?
does it give a better ride?

Also the bumper brackets they supply with the body lifts SUCK
I have a 3 inch body lift on my 4Runner and the bumper brackets are weak as heck they just lift it to look good not for sturdiness.

Did you all have to drop your radiators too. My body lift came with 3in raidiator drop brackets.

Ryan

Back