Aftermarket Fog lights not working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Fog lights not working?

Stevo92z28

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
Alright well my '93 EB came with fog lights but looks like aftermarket...using stock ford parts. Reason is the switch looks like a factory switch, factory ford fog light brackets. Bosch Fog lights with bosch relay, H3 bulbs. But looks like the front bumper is dremeled...and not factory type connectors ect. Well the problem is, they were working and now they are not.

First things first the fog light switch light was not lighting up. I investigated the 3 wires out of the switch. Power,Ground,Signal. Ok easy...ground wasnt secure re-grounded it and the light will come on. Next, i assume the power was somehow taped into the headlight switch so that it would ONLY come on with low beams i didnt like that. Cut the power and taped that into a 15 amp fuse at the box. Now turning on the switch...i hear the relay clicking under the engine bay. Looking at that it has the signal wire from the switch to it, then its own power/ground and then has the power/ground wires going to the fog lights. Tested voltage at the connectors by the fog lights....and no power.

Does this mean bad relay?

Next question...why do i need a relay if i want to control them without the required use of low beams?

If no relay i dont see why i just cant directly hook them up.

Last is this in the right section or should this be under performance lighting?

Thank you! Itd be nice to have fog lights again!

-Steve

If you want full time control of the lights then No you do not need a relay.

Yes this would have been better placed in the lighting section but I don't think anyone will flame you for it.

Good Luck!

Well now im thinking you need a relay to control 55 watts of power to those fog lights? What controls how many volts the fog lights will get. I dont want to burn up the wires or blow the bulbs.

How do i wire them directly if i dont use a relay?

Anyone else have a take on this and could someone move this to performance lighting? Thanks

Here is a copy of a wiring diagram posted by Bill Kemp for fog lights
attachment.php

This includes the relay. If you do not want the relay just omit that section of the diagram.
To do it without a relay you run a wire(with a fuse) from +bat to the switch, a wire from switch to +side of light, and a wire from -side of light to a ground.

Back