I'm not a expert by no means
Feel free to tell me what I did wrong so I can learn more

AC compressor groaning
20+ years old
We did replace every o ring with proper ones
We replaced the quick disconnect springs as well
20210306_120159.jpg
20210306_120215.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started with the washer / coolant tank and battrry
Get it out of the way

20210306_125722.jpg

Then the compressor
20210306_143941.jpg
20210306_143948.jpg

20210306_142150.jpg

20210306_122944.jpg

Removed the dryer and all the AC lines as a unit
20210307_120555.jpg

ac2.PNG
ac1.PNG

ac3.PNG
20210306_135415.jpg

20210306_153638.jpg

Dirty
Clean everything and then clean it again...in the pictures of the clean parts you see a little pag oil with dye in it that's because we did not flush them yet
We left the original o rings on until we reinstalled the lines
This is to be sure that we have the o rings in the right places
After you install your parts be sure to blow out the lines with air he'll I blew out everything two or three times:)
20210306_140536.jpg

20210307_105526.jpg

Old Orifice tube
20210307_114830.jpg

Get parts out
20210307_114914.jpg
Now back flush everything then do it again

We put a garbage bag on the end of the hoses / condenser / evaporator the catch the flush and disposal is easy
We used denatured alcohol for a first flush then the flush from Napa we used a flush tool 100psi
I have modified a few times
20210307_115627.jpg

20210307_115632.jpg
20210307_124957.jpg

Blow everything out with an air compressor a few times

Install your clean hoses compressor dryer ...all the parts ..
And
Add oil
20210307_164255.jpg

20210307_164312.jpg

How much oil to add is here in the manual
ac5.PNG

ac6.PNG

ac7.PNG

Pull a vacuum on the system for a hour
20210307_165253.jpg

Turn the high and low side off on your gauge manifold
Let sit for a hour to see if it holds vac if so your ready

#correction for the video# I replaced the dryer and compressor

And the thermometer in the dash is off its crap been there for a year ....when I bought the parts lmao

Here is a vid

ac4.PNG

If I forgotten anything
Feel free to fill me in and ill add the info better yet add your info and personal experience in the real world
Oh one more thing
Clean your tools before putting them away
I hate dirty tools ....

Don -

Great write up, pics,, instructions, and factory manual tables!

Man - that orifice tube was loaded with metal shavings - you're old compressor blew up!

Thanks for taking the time to assemble and post - betcha she blows COLD now - especially with the evaporator cleaned off👍👍

Don -

Great write up, pics,, instructions, and factory manual tables!

Man - that orifice tube was loaded with metal shavings - you're old compressor blew up!

Thanks for taking the time to assemble and post - betcha she blows COLD now - especially with the evaporator cleaned off👍👍
It blows real cold
The compressor did not blow it was very close tho lol It didn't explode or seize
Yea I'd say it blew lmao maybe ill open it up as I did buy a new compressor ....no core..
We just used some baking soda and vinegar .... Bubble action...Followed by some green clean and a wash with water ...not inside the unit .. to remove the vinegar to clean the evaporator

Don did everything work ok now? I have the entire system I pulled out of mine, when installing the SOHC in the Navajo, if you need anything.

Don did everything work ok now? I have the entire system I pulled out of mine, when installing the SOHC in the Navajo, if you need anything.
It works like new now better than it ever has
Its is explained better in the video because you can see the gauges
I've read lots of posts saying ....I wish I could see it on the gauges ...
thanks for your offer

Knowing all the people as well as I can on this forum if I really need something I won't hesitate to ask
Thanks man

If anyone noticed I modified the power steering belt shield
So I can add a idler pulley ;)

Awesome write-up, thanks!

Who has the bad ass beard?

Me lol I forgot to shave today lol
The less neanderthal looking one is my son jr

Me lol I forgot to shave today lol
The less neanderthal looking one is my son jr
So you are one of the neanderthal's running around out their........I was wondering where the neanderthal's were...
Would like to get a selfie with a neanderthal or are you pre-neanderthal or just a plan USA neanderthal.... for my "facebook" page .....Oh thats right I dont do that ....I'll be sticking with and running with the neanderthals.......vs hollywood.
1615314317317.png

So you are one of the neanderthal's running around out their........I was wondering where the neanderthal's were...
Would like to get a selfie with a neanderthal or are you pre-neanderthal or just a plan USA neanderthal.... for my "facebook" page .....Oh thats right I dont do that ....I'll stick with the neanderthals.......vs hollywood.
View attachment 328388
Lmao :usa:

Don,
Great write up and pictures. I am always impressed with the level of pride and detail in your work (especially for being a Neanderthal😉)
The evap core is an often overlooked part when diagnosing cooling problem, from glove box papers being sucked into the recirculation door, to mice nest, to tree droppings. I wish we had a filter like the newer X's.

When Ford starting installing these compressor in the mid to late 80s they usually ended up being crap. We called the orifice tube look Black Death ☠️. Man I made a lot money from Ford because of theses compressors and of course DPFE sensors 🤣. Once they got the compressor right, Ford trucks cooled better than any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some work went into this writeup, much appreciated. What was the deciding reason for removing the evaporator?

(Facing a similar project this spring and hoping to only swap out the compressor and dryer. Paying the $1200 to have it done; no way.)

Back