• Register Today It's free!

Alignment Problem with 2" lift

scott11202

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I recently put a 2 " suspension lift on my 93 explorer 4x4 using the skyjacker lift coils and the f-150 leafs in back. After the lift I got an alignment done to make it drivable knowing that the springs would sag. the shop couldn't get the camber perfect so it has a slight +camber, \--/. It has been about a month and the springs still haven't sagged as much as i had expected. The alignment shop used 3 1/2 Camber bushing and I can't see that there is any larger out there to use. I was hoping not to need drop brackets but it is seeming that I may need them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I just need to get this figured out before fall so I can get new tires for winter. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

give it a little more time to settle. i searched to and didn't see and more camber adjustments

i wonder if anyone else has this problem, i have been hesitant to get front spring spacers for this reason

2" is alot for the 4x4 d 35 with no drop brackets

the 1.5" F-150 spring seat is 1-3/8" of lift, its a good alternative to 2" coils

You may be able to get it to align with eccentric beam pivot bushings.
This would drop the end of the beam down just slightly

You may need drop brackets if that doesnt work.
if your shims are stamped 3.5 degrees they may actually be 2.75 degree the shims are often labeled for a 2wd application

as far as I know 2.75 degree is the max xorrection shim available for the 4x4 d35 ttb

2" is alot for the 4x4 d 35 with no drop brackets

the 1.5" F-150 spring seat is 1-3/8" of lift, its a good alternative to 2" coils

You may be able to get it to align with eccentric beam pivot bushings.
This would drop the end of the beam down just slightly

You may need drop brackets if that doesnt work.
if your shims are stamped 3.5 degrees they may actually be 2.75 degree the shims are often labeled for a 2wd application

as far as I know 2.75 degree is the max xorrection shim available for the 4x4 d35 ttb
so what are drop brackets?

I agree with Fortune, the coil sets give enough lift to even out the 2 inch AAL. i have them in and put in the 31/2 camber bushings with room left over. I suggest buy the seats (dirt cheap) and swap em with the new coils, then put your stock coils back in with the seats, and sell the new ones or something

The alignment shop was able to allign the driver side but not the passenger side so it leads me to belive that it can work without any drop brackets. It drives well but it is noticeably wearing on the passenger side outside of the tire. What size drop brackets? 2" or 4"? Thanks for all the help.

i think they used the worng camber shims.Im pretty sure 2.75 is enuff to get you aligned i know it is on a 2wd.with the skyjacker coils and shackels.but the 4wd has alot more wieght considering the ttb diff and drive shaft wieght.Have you checked you ball joints and basically all the greasable fitting to make sure the boots aren't wore out.

I haven't checked the ball joints. Could that throw your camber off that much? Also wouldn't i feel the bearings go bad if they were?

If your ball joints were that bad you would rattle like crazy on bumps. I will x2 the drop brackets, I was able to get my ranger lined up at 2" without drops, but most vehicles will have issues (it's really a case by case basis). I think I used a set of adjustable bushings, but if memory serves me correct they were also 3.5deg.

I think the best bet is to wait for the spring to settle completely over the summer and then hopefully the wheels will be aligned enough to get new tires. Thanks for all the help.

if your ball joints and or wheel bearings are worn out then you will have negitive camber as a result, not positive

Nope. You just remove the upper balljoint nut and the pinchbolt and pull the old bushings out and install the new ones.

yup those where the ones I used, Heh I guess they were 4deg it's been a while :)

actually I think I have a brand new set in my parts bin, if you interested let me know. I will check to make sure I still have them..

That sounds like a good deal I might try that out if they don't settle soon.

sry i didnt hav time to red the whole thred but i was able to get myt ires in line w/stock bushings w. my 2in coil spacer lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i opted for 2 inch coils over spacers a while back and had the same problems you did. the front end geometry was all out of whack. take a look at your radius arms too, mine were at such a horrible angle that it wore the bracket and busted a couple of the bushings. i went ahead and spent the money on 4" drop brackets and 4" lift coils and after the springs have settled camber isnt that bad, i am however going to install Moog adjustable camber bushings in case the springs settle any more. toe was horrible though, ive got it almost lined up pretty decent just with a tape measure.

Back