• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Twist Problem HELP!

tgrubbe

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Just yesterday I did the whole torsion bar twist thing on my 96 EB, my problem is, after doing it and getting about 1.7 inches, it goes back down to only about a half inch increase from my original height, is this normal and I just have to go turn the bolts more or are the bars bending? I am just afraid that this may mess up my front suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should settle a little, but that seems like a lot. What strength are your bars? There should be a sticker on them. If you have the softer bars, you will not get as much lift from the TT as guys with the stiffer bars.

Thanks for the reply, but I just figured it out, my explorer front wheels lean in a bit at the top (I need and alignment), so when I would lift it with my jack it would make them go back on the floor in the correct position, and when I would drive it my wheels would do back to how they were before, I am thinking this was the issue all along becuase not they are staying at 1.6 inches where I had them.

Yea, you need an alignment bad - could be bad ball joints too, keep an eye on them. Glad you figured it out, good luck man.

my driver side screwed all in passenger side is not and 2 1/2 lift, driver's side suspension is almost always more worn than pass. sides

Mine is the same way, my drivers side was a quarter of an inch lower than passenger, so I ended up adjusting the torsion bars earlier today so the driver side is 1.75 and passenger is only 1.5 so really they are now level and both 1.5 inches higher.

Back