Another OHV M90 build | Page 73 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,575

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Log sent to James. Tims pulley is creating detonation at part throttle when the trans is in overdrive. Not showing any boost, but I guess the SC is still pushing extra air in to the motor. A/F ratio is constant around 14.5 with the detonation happening.

I tried to compare iat's, but looking at the logs in excel, its pretty tough for me to compare against old logs. It does seem to be working though.
Heres a chunk under load:

RPM:4759 Load: 0.807 intake air:188 iat_sensor_temp:133 Spark_Advance:10.25 A/F Ratio:10.8

I dont understand this.do you have two temp sensors? Is that advance over stock?? And thats really lean..also what was ambient?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ambient is: "intake air:188" not sure I understand the number either
after supercharger: "iat_sensor_temp:133" again, a reference number

I thought a A/F ratio of 10.8 was pretty good for wot. Its 'safe'. Everything I can find on the internet says wot A/F of 12.5 for our older motors is where our motors are happiest. If anything, as the tuning gets closer, I'll probably try to convince James to get the wot A/F at atleast 12ish.

Id sure like to find some good reading on what all the pids mean, and 'how-to' basics on tuning.

ambient is: "intake air:188" not sure I understand the number either
after supercharger: "iat_sensor_temp:133" again, a reference number

I thought a A/F ratio of 10.8 was pretty good for wot. Its 'safe'. Everything I can find on the internet says wot A/F of 12.5 for our older motors is where our motors are happiest. If anything, as the tuning gets closer, I'll probably try to convince James to get the wot A/F at atleast 12ish.

Id sure like to find some good reading on what all the pids mean, and 'how-to' basics on tuning.

I meant it was really rich not lean.but yea thats real rich.I run 13.0 at wot.too rich can be just as bad as too lean especially if you still getting detention. Definitely shouldnt be if its that rich.sure he will tune it out and have some fun with it tho

I'd love to learn something about tuning or to just be able to understand it.whats the temp up there outside?

When I did the log, it was about 23 Fahrenheit.

When I did the log, it was about 23 Fahrenheit.

Woo I would say thats cold but bet to you all its not even that cold at all.guy just called back about the head studs, said he doesnt stock them but orders direct from arp and could probably cut me a deal because arp is in the usa.he then went on a rant about shipping cost and everything you all have to deal with to get parts up there.lol man he can talk, I told him that I run the gm m90 and he knew exactly what I was talking about, even down to the IC im using.he said him and a buddy years ago was contemplating building a set up exactly like mine but couldnt get clearance for the intake bend and the IC.said they scrapped that and rpcaster started on the ford m90.guy knows his stuff man.

Oh ya, talking to that guy is always the best! Super knowledgeable, eccentric, funny. Yup, good guy.

Its still cold out, but after being thru the crap weather, it still feels way better.
The weather is warming up here. Its still too cold to be outside working on a vehicle, but at least the garage is warm now. Yesterdays log was done because its getting warmer out and the streets are starting to clear up. I have a feeling were in for another storm or two before winters over though.

warmer? hell, this is speedo weather! and yea, im thinking we're going to get a foot of snow before the end of march.

Either of us being caught in a speedo would probably damage someone for life. :D

Tonight I installed my new plugs, and Id swear my detonation issue became worse. How can that be? I'll drive it tomorrow and I'll know for sure.

13.0 at wot sounds bad, I was told 11.2 or 11.5 the most when you lay into it. To give you guys an idea where I am at, seen 9.2 at first 1-2sec of pedal on the floor and then it goes up to 10.2, then 11.2-5. Never seen my lc1 report anything above 12, unless I am idling or just cruising. Don, what plugs did you switch to? I just picked up a set of tr06 plugs to check and see if I got any issues this weekend. I checked my notes and I am at .036 gap.

13.0 at wot sounds bad, I was told 11.2 or 11.5 the most when you lay into it. To give you guys an idea where I am at, seen 9.2 at first 1-2sec of pedal on the floor and then it goes up to 10.2, then 11.2-5. Never seen my lc1 report anything above 12, unless I am idling or just cruising. Don, what plugs did you switch to? I just picked up a set of tr06 plugs to check and see if I got any issues this weekend. I checked my notes and I am at .036 gap.

I dont even know how your truck runs being that rich.think you better do some research. A NA motor you wanna run around 14, a FI you wanna run richer 12.5-13 depending on your tune.you make more power the leaner you can get it but its gota be a good tune.cruising or idle I see WAY above 13, you dont need all that fuel then and its a waste

Phix, NGK tr7ix plugs. I don't think they work very well on our ohvs. I'm hearing quite a bit of detonation since install. I'm going to yank them.

Also, it seems James likes to keep wot a/f around 11 with forced induction. He must have his reasons. I'll have to read more.

Phix, NGK tr7ix plugs. I don't think they work very well on our ohvs. I'm hearing quite a bit of detonation since install. I'm going to yank them.

Also, it seems James likes to keep wot a/f around 11 with forced induction. He must have his reasons. I'll have to read more.

he must be different with motors. when he sent me my WOT trans lock tune, he told me if it reads more then 12.5, get out of it.
i know right now if i am in it, it stays around 9.5-10. if i am driving to the grocery store, soccer practice, or church its around 14.5

Yes, I think James likes to go fairly rich on WOT in his tunes. I'm sure its a safety thing. Tim, my A/F sounds like its the same as yours at drive around/wot.

I sent James 3 logs. 1 while detonation was happening, 1 with a startup issue I have when the motor is warm, and 1 as a drive around. I explained that I think it might be the plugs causing part of the issue. This morning a new tune showed up in my in-box. I guess James wants to keep working with whats on my truck. I'm impressed.

More to come on tuning.

Yes, I think James likes to go fairly rich on WOT in his tunes. I'm sure its a safety thing. Tim, my A/F sounds like its the same as yours at drive around/wot.

I sent James 3 logs. 1 while detonation was happening, 1 with a startup issue I have when the motor is warm, and 1 as a drive around. I explained that I think it might be the plugs causing part of the issue. This morning a new tune showed up in my in-box. I guess James wants to keep working with whats on my truck. I'm impressed.

More to come on tuning.

Yea and not having a IC also.ill have to double check but im pretty certain mine is set to 13.9-10 just seems pretty rich for a performance tune, but hell idk.guarantee he knows what he is doing tho

What issues are you having with warm start up? What was his opinion on the plugs? I would doubt a two step colder plug is causing detonation compared to regular heat range ones.cant wait for feed back on new tunes.

Im pretty much having the same issue I had with detonation as the old motor.

The symptoms are: No detonation on start up, or even when the motor warms up (Say 10 min?).
Then I start hearing detonation. Where I really hear it is when the motor drops in to overdrive, and is in near boost conditions. Depending on who knows what, on the highway detonation will want to start, and want to keep detonation no matter what I do.
I installed the new tune, but haven't been able to really test it yet. I went for a short drive (20 min) and went wot from a crawl. I heard brief detonation, then it quit. Im thinking it was the meth starting to spray that stopped the pinging. I'll be testing some more over the weekend.

ping isnt also caused by a lean condition to, is it. i am wondering, just wondering if you might have a bad injector. the only reason i am saying that is, you have a new motor, all with new parts. its kinda acting like the old motor did. the only things that you reused from it was your injectors, intake, throttle body......wait, did you put a new knock sensor in it to, or reuse the old one? just trying to think of things. hoping someone will knock my suggestions down however.

Could the MAF be maxed out?

Was the tune calibrated on a dyno or just something someone cooked up?

What MAF and injectors are you running Don?
Running 42lbs green with a lighting MAF myself.

JD, I run the instacharger setup.

James Henson is tuning via remote tuning with wideband o2. I understand remote tuning can be a challenge. It's just that James has the experience with the ford s4.0 sohcs, and to a lesser extent (but more than most tuners) the 4.0 ohv. I'd love to go visit him.

I think James on to something. No detonation anymore. Before, it was pretty bad, but driving around tonight, there was none at the same conditions I would have had to let off the gas before. I'll do some logging.

Back