Another Projector HID Retrofit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Projector HID Retrofit

Almost done with this project, so I figured I'd post a few pics... I'm using a Morimoto Mini D2S, Gatling Gun shrouds and a couple of LED halo rings. The next part is to replace the side markers with LED arrays and add another LED array for to the side marker for turn signal.

Everything off:

Reflector-Assembled-2.jpg

Reflector-Assembled-1.jpg

White LED ring as parking lights. The ring is mounted facing backwards, to refelect into the reflector bowl:

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteLEDFront.jpg

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteLED-Side.jpg

Orange LED as additional turn signal:

Reflector-Assembled-OrangeLED-Side.jpg

Both sets of LEDs on:

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteandOrangeLEDFront.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is the easiest way to open the headlight case?

"easiest" is really relative or subjective, and it depends on whether you're trying to open the original assemblies or some aftermarket assemblies. I've never tried to open Ford's assemblies: from what I've read, they're a b*tch to work with because of the sealant they use. On aftermarket assemblies, I've tried both the oven method and the heatgun method, and I found the heatgun method easier for me, but more time consuming. Basically, I heat up a length of the assembly, about 6-8 inches at a time, and pry that portion out using a relatively wide-blade screwdriver or a putty knife (I used old chopsticks to keep it open once I pry it). Then move on the the next 6-8 inches. The advantage of doing it this way is that you can take your time and you have less chances of heat damage to the entire assembly. I use the heatgun to clean up afterwards anyway, so either way I needed a heatgun :)

do I need to install resistors so the the kit work fine with Auto-on light (TRS do not recomend can-bus harness for 55W nor for DRL)? and what is the proper resistor arraignment to do so?

Auto-On and DRL are 2 different beasts.
I don't have the DRL feature turned on at the SJB, so I can't answer to that. As I understarnd, DRL with our trucks don't work with HID because we have a single Low & High Beam assembly. I'm no expert there, but all the DRLs I know use the separate High Beam at a lower % of full voltage, not the Low Beam. That does not play well with the ballast.
Auto-On works just fine without resistors, however I don't like to use that feature: on overcast days, all it takes is going under a bridge and the darn things will come on for like 15 seconds and turn off. That's not good for the bulb or the ballast. I get the "light out" warning anyway, since I have LEDs in the front and rear, so I'm used to hitting reset a few times and I won't bother installing load resistors for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Divemaster191307 for the detailed explanation for opening the assembly. I'm buying a heat gun to do so

I don't have DRL, only Auto-On and I hope TRS can-bus harness work fine with it

Divemaster191307 can you post photos of your Ex with HID'd on it?

I have not taken any pic of the final setup, I guess I was having too much fun with the buildup... Let me see what I can do when I get it back (my brother has it for a couple of weeks). I promised someone else some pics of the LED tailights too :(

Thanks Divemaster191307 for the detailed explanation for opening the assembly. I'm buying a heat gun to do so

I don't have DRL, only Auto-On and I hope TRS can-bus harness work fine with it

Forgot one thing.. The 1st thing to do is to heat up the little tabs that snap the lens to the assembly. 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom, 2 on the inner and 1 on the outer. They're not critical, but they break rather easily and come in handy to hold the lens in place when you put everything back together. Bend them out slightly before you open the assembly. Once you have the lens out, you can apply a bit of heat to get them back to their original position. The other thing I did was to get as much of the excess "glue" before attempting to open the assembly.

Divemaster191307 can you post photos of your Ex with HID'd on it?

I've posted quite a few pics in another thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2854052#post2854052), but what the heck:

Night-ParkingLightsONFullFront.jpg

I'll get some more against a wall soon (I think the driver side has rotated slightly, darn it!).

Here's a couple of quick videos on what the turn signal LED rings looks like at night.
Without the parking lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plUsD6nf15E.
With the parking lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8RKuF8F-A.

love the lights....looks really good :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bump for this. :salute:

Crud, completely forgot about that! I haven't driven the Ex much since I got my new toy... Thanks for reminding me, I still need to take care of the rotated passenger side. I'll see about fixing that and take some pics asap.

Very nicely done sir! i did a quad retro in my 08 ST along with the fog lights. I used the Mini D2S', Mini H1's and the matchbox's. Going to do a secondary retro soon and redo.

Back