Another Projector HID Retrofit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Projector HID Retrofit

Almost done with this project, so I figured I'd post a few pics... I'm using a Morimoto Mini D2S, Gatling Gun shrouds and a couple of LED halo rings. The next part is to replace the side markers with LED arrays and add another LED array for to the side marker for turn signal.

Everything off:

Reflector-Assembled-2.jpg

Reflector-Assembled-1.jpg

White LED ring as parking lights. The ring is mounted facing backwards, to refelect into the reflector bowl:

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteLEDFront.jpg

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteLED-Side.jpg

Orange LED as additional turn signal:

Reflector-Assembled-OrangeLED-Side.jpg

Both sets of LEDs on:

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteandOrangeLEDFront.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lets see some output pics

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just received my Mini H1 kit. I am impressed with the wiring harness quality. the housings are ok, I'm sure they will be fine, but the castings are so so...

I decided to order a new set of headlight housings so that I can take my time getting the projectors mounted, plus my oem housings are getting old and are starting to yellow.

... I decided to order a new set of headlight housings ...

I think you'll find it a very wise move: I ruined my OEM set trying to open them up. I don't what they're using to seal them up, but the aftermarket was a heck of a lot easier, whether with the oven method or heatgun method.

I think you'll find it a very wise move: I ruined my OEM set trying to open them up. I don't what they're using to seal them up, but the aftermarket was a heck of a lot easier, whether with the oven method or heatgun method.

ford uses permaseal, and the only way to get it is to cut it open. some people have done it with a heat gun, but most people have to cut it.

By the way, I was working on my MH1 retrofit for my truck today, and I couldn't get my aftermarket housing open. So in a bit of rage, I took a 5lbs sledge to my friends stock explorer housing and broke the lens off, and popped my Mh1 in there. He wants to put his aftermarket lens on the stock housing now

f4479e23.jpg

5a4a6b0e.jpg

Any updates DiveMaster?

I received my new headlight housings.. going to start a new thread when i have some pictures..

how was aiming the projectors, was it hard? DId you even aim them? Or was it just flush perfectly lined up when mounted

definitely will need to aim and find tune the projectors..

i know you usually always have to aim them but on the projectors shown in the picture there doesnt seem to be any adjustment screws/knobbs, so was wondering how you would aim them then....move them around in the housing by hand before mounted? I will be doing something like this but on 02 explorer which has different housing thats only offered on the 2002-2005 explorer not sport.

Any updates DiveMaster?

Not much yet. I have installed the buck pucks on the LED sidemarkers, and I still don't like it. So I'm going to do a complete custom LED setup for the sidemarkers, with a batch of LumiLEDs I just picked up. I'm about halfway through the design on that, with sequencing. But work has kept me busy and I've spent whatever spare time I can find between this project and working on my bikes. Too many hobbies, too little time :(.

I don't do much night driving this time of year anyway and I ride my bike to work as much as I can, so I wouldn't rush it even if I could :) This is going to be done as right I technically can.

looking good, I actually just did my retro fit with the Mini h1 projectors and used the Apollo shrouds, I bought a set of oem headlights and put them in the oven for 350 degrees for 5mins and about 5 mins later I had them opened up took alot longer to clean the sealant from the lens and housing:D, pic of mine are below

Dead Link Removed

keep up good work

... took alot longer to clean the sealant from the lens and housing ...

Yep, it's a b*tch. I used a heatgun, one small section at a time (maybe 3-4 inches) and it took the better part of an hour to get decent. What did you use the reseal the assembly?

I did a test fit yesterday, but broke the tab on the turn signal connector, on both sides! So now I'm getting a bad contact. I hope repairconnector.com has them, cheap.

Truck looks good! I don't think I've ever seen an orange one, looks sharp.

Yep, it's a b*tch. I used a heatgun, one small section at a time (maybe 3-4 inches) and it took the better part of an hour to get decent. What did you use the reseal the assembly?

I did a test fit yesterday, but broke the tab on the turn signal connector, on both sides! So now I'm getting a bad contact. I hope repairconnector.com has them, cheap.

Truck looks good! I don't think I've ever seen an orange one, looks sharp.

thanks yeah I used 3m window weld I bought from local napa, worked perfect, no leaks, I just need to make make some aluminum enclosures for my Resistors so I don`t get the check left headlight message and right headlight message I have the Message center in my truck and I did try the TRS can-bus harness but I would still get the check headlight message if I tried the the Auto on headlight setting on my truck in the mornings when I would start my truck up, If I turned the headlights on manually I wouldn`t get messages, but I started to have issue with my HID`s flickering and I went back to the other harness that powers the Ballast`s off the Battery instead off the original headlight wiring like the TRS can-bus harnesses do and my flickering went away so I`m making my own resistor pack to take care of the headlight out messages, I can say these HID`s are awesome when lighting up the dark I have the 5000k bulbs and the 50 watt ballast from TRS:D

thanks yeah I used 3m window weld I bought from local napa, worked perfect, no leaks, I just need to make make some aluminum enclosures for my Resistors so I don`t get the check left headlight message and right headlight message I have the Message center in my truck and I did try the TRS can-bus harness but I would still get the check headlight message if I tried the the Auto on headlight setting on my truck in the mornings when I would start my truck up, If I turned the headlights on manually I wouldn`t get messages, but I started to have issue with my HID`s flickering and I went back to the other harness that powers the Ballast`s off the Battery instead off the original headlight wiring like the TRS can-bus harnesses do and my flickering went away so I`m making my own resistor pack to take care of the headlight out messages, I can say these HID`s are awesome when lighting up the dark I have the 5000k bulbs and the 50 watt ballast from TRS:D

nice retro guys...had a set of projectors on my ex since i bought it...you should always power the ballast with a harness that connects directly to your battery with a fuse and a relay...i know most people are going to disagree with me but this is the safest way to do it....as for sealant...i learned from another guy when i first started to retro to use Nissan OEM rubber butyl headlight sealer

heres a link i just found on where i got it from...i actually found the old thread on the hid forum i use...

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577&rsku=0

I just order the mini D2S kit from TRS

• 1 x D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System (MotoEliteD2S)
    Ballasts 35w: Morimoto 3Five (Long Cord Outputs)
    Bulbs 35w: Philips 85122+ 4300K D2S
    Wire Harness Canbus: H13/9008
  • 1 x Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0 (MiniD2SBix)
  • 1 x OCI Butyl Rubber Glue (OCiGlue)
  • 1 x Gatling Gun (GatlingGun)

I have some questions:

what is the easiest way to open the headlight case?

do I need to install resistors so the the kit work fine with Auto-on light (TRS do not recomend can-bus harness for 55W nor for DRL)? and what is the proper resistor arraignment to do so?

I just order the mini D2S kit from TRS

I have some questions:

what is the easiest way to open the headlight case?

do I need to install resistors so the the kit work fine with Auto-on light (TRS do not recomend can-bus harness for 55W nor for DRL)? and what is the proper resistor arraignment to do so?

there is no easy way....i put it in an oven at 250 degrees on a fireproof blanket so it wouldn't melt the corners and let sit for few minutes monitoring it closely then with cloves a flathead and brute strength start prying and pulling. thats about it. opened up 3 sets of lights so far.

They recommend 265F for 7 minutes over on Hidplanet. That worked for me on my '99.

Back