Any tips for changing the TPS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any tips for changing the TPS?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Is it just as simple as removing the bolts and putting the new one on? Or is there a trick to it? I've heard about the bolts breaking but that's all the info I can find on this site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it just as simple as removing the bolts and putting the new one on? Or is there a trick to it? I've heard about the bolts breaking but that's all the info I can find on this site.

Pretty straight forward to swap out a TPS on an OHV.

Since we're dealing with only 160 Stock H.P., "Setting" the TPS voltage for the best throttle response off the line is a fun freebie ;)

Link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79362&pp=20

Hope that helps!

Just make sure you get the correct TPS since the OHV and SOHC have opposite rotation.
Also be aware of the overused factory Loctite, very easy to strip if they are Phillips heads.

Weird TPS issue
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423226

Ok. Thanks for the link and info. I'll make sure to use a screwdriver that fits correctly to avoid stripping the bolts. Hopefully they're not too hard to remove. Florida has been good to my truck when it comes to removing old bolts, as they don't have much corrosion :)

Pretty straight forward to swap out a TPS on an OHV.

Since we're dealing with only 160 Stock H.P., "Setting" the TPS voltage for the best throttle response off the line is a fun freebie ;)

Link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79362&pp=20

Hope that helps!

It looks interesting, but I'd rather not add anymore power right now as i'm still on the stock transmission and I don't want it to explode :D I think at this point even adding 5-10 HP is dangerous. But I'll keep this link for the future :thumbsup:

adjusting the TPS

The second generation and later PCM "reads" the throttle position when the ignition is turned on and assumes that voltage to be for closed throttle. The PCM periodically checks for a lower minimum voltage and if one is found equates it to the closed throttle voltage. There is no need to adjust the TPS for 2nd generation and later vehicles.

There is no need to adjust the TPS for 2nd generation and later vehicles.

My Torque application reads 16% throttle opening at idle on my 2nd Gen.
Does that need adjusting or is it normal?

The max TPS voltage is about 5 and the minimum is about 1 volts so 1/5 = 20%. 16% is fine. Mine is 18%.

correct me if i am wrong but i thought i had read that if you have it at 1 volt or higher the pcm thinks there is a short and will throw a code? i have had mine set at .98 - .99

TPS voltage limits

I checked the 1998 MY OBD System Operation Summary for the TPS limits.
P0122 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

DTCSensors.jpg

It looks like the minimum threshold is less than 0.2 volts and the maximum threshold is greater than 4.8 volts - the same as for my 2000. There's an informative discussion about the TPS here: Ford Explorer - Ranger TPS Test Procedure. I looked up part throttle mentioned by Pontisteve in post 7. Instead of a specified voltage it is Relative TPS value - 8 in my stock tune.
TPforPT.jpg

My max relative TPS is 755 at 4.64 volts for a range of 3.6 volts. (8/755)*3.6=.038 volts for the switch to part throttle. I see no reason to adjust the TPS idle voltage if its near 1.0 volts relative to the common sensor return wire (instead of ground).

Back