Atlas II in a 98-2000? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Atlas II in a 98-2000?

I believe the stock case is some where around 2.46:1 I may be wrong on that tho

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my '99 it is 2.48, but I don't know if that changed between the years or not.

Yeah, I thought it was 2.48. I must say Jeff that is one awesome rig you got there, esp with the Atlas II. You mentioned that you have 4.88's, hows it all working together with the t-case and overall driving experience?

Pics:

Atlas-ft.jpg

Atlas-rr.jpg

Atlas-knob.jpg

She'll get off-road tested tommorrow :)

That's awesome Jefe, congrats, are you running lockers Jefe?

Happy trails!!

That's looks awesome! Now it looks bullet proof.

Originally posted by Jot017
That's awesome Jefe, congrats, are you running lockers Jefe?

Happy trails!!
I've got a Powertrax in the rear currently, and a Powertrax is on order for the front

Originally posted by addkev
That's looks awesome! Now it looks bullet proof.
Heh. . it feels bullet proof too. No more of this, turn switch and hope the front end engages.

Nice job on the shifters. They look almost factory. Let us know how it went on the trial run.:D

After a few hours of a trail I've done many times before:

Wow. I don't think my BW 4405 ever provided this much traction up front. Now I realize how badly it would slip on the tough stuff. I was walking up stuff that I have had to spin a few tires to get up in the past. And I was only running 14lbs instead of my usual 12 in the tires.

It is very nice to be able to run 2Lo 75% of the trail and only engage the front when needed. Its also cool to be able to shift between Hi and Lo while moving, instead of having to come to a dead stop. Learning to shift the t-case with an automatic tranny took a few minutes of practicing, but after figuring that out, it’s a breeze.

And dang is it geared low. In 4th (1:1) at 2000rpm I'm only doing 11mph!! (According to my GPS) I was worried that it was too low while playing in the driveway because the slightest touch of the gas would make the tranny shift. But once there's a load on it (going up or down a hill) it shifts very nicely. I've got engine braking! Throw it into 2nd and she'll walk down a hill at 5mph. (and as soon as I fix the lack of engine braking in 1st it will be even better)

I'm now very worried about the strength of the front axle though. It complains even in the slightest turn, while engaged. I'm debating whether to put off a front locker until I do something crazy like a D44 conversion. I will definitely start carrying around parts that will get me back off a trail if I do break it.

Some other numbers:
t-case ratio -- crawl speed at idle
1:1 -- 5.8 mph
2.48:1 -- 2.1 mph *
3.8:1 -- 1.5 mph
*-torque converter never locked

Very cool Jeff!

I noticed BUCHVILLEMAN saying the same thing about the added traction of a real transfer case. I think after that clutch in the 4405 gets abused it only transfers partial power to the front.

Awesome, i never thought about the difference that could have on the front end pulling. Glad you like it so far. Was it worth the money on the first time out? I know what you are saying about the front axle, mine growns at me some times too. Could you imagine the situations you could get yourself out of it you get the front locker in?? 2lo rules!

Jason--Buchvilleman put a manual tcase in didn't he? Would that help the cause any at all?

Happy trails!!

Yeah he did the manual swap to a 1354. He was commenting on the difference between his 4405 and his new manual 1354.

Jefe, looks good!!! You will enjoy it and like Ray L. said it is one of the best investments I made on my truck. I have one suggestion for you, looking at your picture of the install I would make a shield to go underneath it. Darrien made one for mine when he install it so that when I do the rock crawling stuff it's protected from the rocks. If you need some pictures of it I can put them up. I just bought Sony's new DSC-P9 cybershot camera and am still learning how to use it.

Paul,
I put the stock T-case skid plate back in place after taking those pics.

Big differance huh!?
I'll tell you, there is nothing like it.:D
Congrats!
Just make sure that you make sure that you tighten up on the nuts for the shifters, or they will move on you and you won't be able to shift into gear. It happened to me before with front high.

Bringing back an old post to the top, for anybody in this thread that did this swap in a stock D35 2nd gen, is still around, and see's this. (crosses fingers)

Was the front drive shaft shorter, and HAD to be changed, or does the stock fit?
For the rear, how thick is OK for the tube wall? PEM racing is near me for a custom shaft, but they offer so many racing tubes, I don't want to get something not needed. I have a mild to aggressive foot with the stock t-case, and I'm sure that style will change to Low to mild with the Atlas 4.3.

I was happy to see the picture of the shifters next to the full size console! Looks like they will interfere with the seat moving forward tho, and knobs might hit the back of your leg. Oh well. The manual instructions are General and geared for JK's, not ours. There are no detailed instructions included for my application, and a few bags of hardware to figure out. Any tips for install, or did most of you pay a shop to install it? (I seen Jefe & Bro did it)

Back