ATTN 95X owners PL/F/L I DID IT!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN 95X owners PL/F/L I DID IT!!!

ATTN 95X owners PL/FL I DID IT!!!

Well after about an hour of prodding and probing I finally was able to get my fog lights to come on with my parking lights. Here is what I did.

Disconnect - then + side of battery

at the back of the Power distribution box you will find a crap load of wires, that are all coverd with wire loom. I cut about 6" of the loom off to get at the wires.

Find the Darkblue wire with the Light green stripe. Cut that wire in half

the half of the wire that goes back into the loom I capped it off. the other half (the one that goes back into the power distibution box)is where you need to connect a seperate 14 ga. wire to.

Take off the drivers side parking lamp.

I ran the wire that i connected to the Darkblue/light green wire to the front parking lamp.

take the parking light that is in the top corner (the one that doesn't blink when you have the blinkers on) and splice the wire that you ran to the brown wire.

Put the parking light back in, reconnect the battery and you should be all good to go.

Hope this helps

fyi the fog light switch will work just like it did when you had your headlights on, only now it does it with just the parking lights.

You all can say it now... I ROCK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way to go rydinhigh!........ok.....you ROCK!

Mike.......are you seeing this post????

D

D I'm seein' it... sitting here with a big grin on my face! Just one question... I was confused as to where the distrib box is located... can you give me a little detail on that rydinhigh?? Thanks man...

YOU ROCK!!!!!

:chug:

wow, im quite impressed, you rock!!

Originally posted by Mikes95XLT
I was confused as to where the distrib box is located...

Boy was that stupid.... I went under my hood today and it's friggin' huge!!!!! lol... the only thing that is stopping me now from doing it is 1) I dont have a ratchet set to loosen the battery cable and 2) i have two big tests to study for this week.

But I'm gonna do this sometime this week I hope... so I'll keep you guys posted....

That's great!!

Can anyone figure out how to make fogs independent on a '99 now? I believe someone will figure it out soon ... I have hope .

Uh Ford made it so you could turn on the fogs with parking lamps in '99. That was the first year you could do that. But maybe its different since you have a Mountaineer??

rydinhigh

let me get this straight.. you can turn your fog lights on and off while you have the parking lights on.. using the button inside the car (factory fog switch)? Just like what you can do when you have low beams on? What happens when the high beams come on?

reason being, i spent quite some time trying to figure this one out and messed up quite a few fuses trying to do so.
everything's soldered back to normal and i wasn't going to go back in unless it's a positive go :)

Just a small note, you need to always disconnect the - battery cable first, no matter what.

KaBoom... what rydinhigh did was wire it so that we could turn the fog lights on or off with the parking lights on, using the factory switch. Cause what if we want to cruise with just the parking lights on?? This way, we can choose when we want the fogs on, with the parking lights on. Hope this explains it... rydinhigh, jump in here too if I didn't explain it right....

let me get this straight.. you can turn your fog lights on and off while you have the parking lights on.. using the button inside the car (factory fog switch)? Just like what you can do when you have low beams on? What happens when the high beams come on?

yes, you will be able to turn your fogs on and off with the factory switch when the parking lights are on. I also found out that they will stay on with the high beams. This just proves my point that I rock even more now :D

Just a small note, you need to always disconnect the - battery cable first, no matter what.

The reason I said to disconnect the + side is that there are wires in the power distribution box that will still be live if you only take off the - side of the battery terminal. I just don't want someone to cut the wrong wire and get a nice zap. Remember the most important thing is safety.

I will be doing this today... found someone with a ratchet set to disconnect the battery..... will let you know how it goes.... :)

Guess what?? I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works, and it only took me about a half hour at the most... it took a little finding for the wire (which was buried in a million wires!) and then that was that, and I can turn on my fogs with my parking lights....

Thanks rydinhigh..... hell yeah......

:chug:

Guys, I was looking around under the hood the other day and looked at the power distribution center specifically. When I looked, I found a gazillion wires right behind the distribution center, is that where you get the wire from?

Yep..... hit the nail on the head my friend..... when I got back there today and took the distrib box off it's hooks, I couldn't believe all the wires! Took me about 5 mins to go through all of 'em!!!! lol

Alright! Cool! I'll do that this weekend if I have time. Thanks guys!

Weekend project

I know what I will be doing this weekend. Any special tools that I might need?

I'm kinda curious... why are people flippin out about this... all you had to do was harass MattAdams and he could tell ya, that is if no one searched previous posts, cause I've read about this for along time!

Re: Weekend project

Originally posted by Brian97V8
I know what I will be doing this weekend. Any special tools that I might need?

Wire nuts for 16 gauge wire, 16 gauge wire, tap splice, wire strippers, electrical tape, screwdriver

You should be good to go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all, just did this today. only took a bit, and was pretty easy too! all i used (ok, i did it kind of ghetto, but if it falls apart ill use wire nuts or solder them) was an 8mm (or was it 7?) socket (to get the battery terminals off) my leatherman, and some tape...oh yeah, some wire too. so easy! now ill be the only 95 x owner to be seen cruising with his parking lights and fogs on. well, at least in marietta anyway ;)

Back