• Register Today It's free!

AZ Run in late Sept!?

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I wanted to know if there was any interest in doing a Crown King and/or Coke Ovens run in Late September, probably Sept 28 and/or 29? I want to test out some new shocks I will have in (waiting for them to be deliviered) and I had fun last Mar when we did them. I am not the most familiar with them but if any others would want to go and lead...? Now that it is getting a little cooler, I figured it should be more comfortable next month. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where exactly is Crown King and Coke Ovens?

Here are some photos of crown king;
http://www.explorerforum.com/azrun1/day2/index.html
There are tons of photos from the run in Mar, if you search under "Arizona run photos" and this board you will get them. Crown king is North-West of Phoenix (on the North side of Lake pleasant.... And the Coke Ovens trail is South-East of Phoenix outside of Chandler and South (I believe. I didn't run Coke Ovens yet).

Coke ovens is East of Mesa. Just North of Florence.

Both runs are a lot of fun. I don't have anything else going on at this time so I would be up for one or both of those runs.

I may try and PM or e-mail Robert, Maniak... or some of the other guys that are are local.... What do you say Peking Man? Or Klowns? Hope to get a few out there. :)

I like the idea of Crown King.. I like that trail.. and it is close enough that it won't cost much money to run (which is good until Yolanda is working again)..

I took the bypass on one obstacle(sp?) back in march .. and this time I want to try it without the bypass.

~Mark

:) Mark, sounds good to me. You are close to Tucson aren't you? If so, if you are free sometime maybe we could meet up, I need to find someone to do some CB checks with to see if It is a good enough of a set-up that I have currently. Let me know.

For those who have not done Crown King:

Beware, this trail eats tires.

Sorry if you are still sore with the state of Arizona over the trip last March, Jared... although I don't think you are :) Besides with the lift and tires on your ride, you would smoke anything that gave you a hard time last time you were out....
If nothing else maybe we'll get to wheel again at Truckhaven!!! Yahoo, I think I will actually make it.

I'm interested in going with you all. It will be my first trip out with you guys. I am definately more in favor in going to the Coke Ovens trail. Anyone know what the trails are rated? I ask this because I don't have lockers yet.

Chris, you really should order the book " Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles Wells. It is a really good book on the trails in AZ (I bought mine before the AZ run last March). In that book it rates the Coke Ovens trail as 'Moderate' and Crown King as 'Difficult' but you really have to read the Write-ups on them. Crown King actually has alot of spots where there is a by-pass to some of the looser stuff. I did not drive the Coke Ovens trail, but I enjoyed the Crown...
Another cool thing about the book, is that it includes GPS coordinates for the trails so that you can set waypoints in a GPS.

Originally posted by PekingMan
I'm interested in going with you all. It will be my first trip out with you guys. I am definately more in favor in going to the Coke Ovens trail. Anyone know what the trails are rated? I ask this because I don't have lockers yet.

You'll be able to do either of them. I was able to with bald ass street tires and no lift whatsoever. Didn't even need a strap :D Coke Ovens is pretty easy except for one real big step up, and is a whole lot of fun. So is Crown King if you don't have 7 million runners/walkers out there with you...

Dude, I totally forgot about all those blasted runners!! Luckily, I think that was a fluke occurence, although I am sure that the trail is busy on weekends. Plus, you could always get a show.... like the chic screamin' in her Xterra (she almost rolled) that wouldn't/didn't listen to her spotter!! :rolleyes:
So Jared did you fix your driveshaft probs? I need to get after Aquaman, to see if his Las Cruces run is going to happen....

hahaha, and i totally forgot about the chick in the xterra! oh man...good stuff... haven't fixed the driveshaft...have no money at the moment. otherwise i'd think about coming out there for this run. maybe stay a couple days and see what i could do. i had a ton of fun on those trails the last time i went...

Well I live on a military base (which adds significant PITA), but I am pretty sure I could get you hooked up with a place to stay for a few nights in Tucson :D Your truck is a complete turnaround since I last saw it. Have you put a locker in yet? I am trying to get the wife to agree to rock sliders next. Her hang-up; she thinks they are ugly!!!! Can you believe it? Some people just can't see beauty if it's welded tube-steel :D

I think I can go and I may bring another buddy of mine if you all don't mind having a 4Runner joining the action. This 4Runner is really a site to see. I would really prefer the "moderate" Coke Ovens run since I am still an inexperienced driver, but I don't want to hold anyone back. I am planning on fabricating some quick disconnects this weekend. I noticed the when I was at Table Mesa Rd that I REALLY needed some more flex.

The "moderate" Coke Ovens run is more difficult than the Crown King run. Not that either are particularly difficult at all.

I'm in for either one. Just tell me when and where.

i would be down for the coke ovens.....never been there

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm game for either, both, something else, whatever.

Not that either are particularly difficult at all.
Spoken like a man with 35" tires and 48"+ of flex at ea wheel. :D

J/K Chris you'll have no problems.

haven't fixed the driveshaft...have no money at the moment. otherwise i'd think about coming out there for this run
Jared there is an extra seat in the Ex for ya and a couch to crash on if needed. You will just have to buy the after run refreshments.

Back