Bad MPG on 98 EB V8 AWD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad MPG on 98 EB V8 AWD

Pipe will EXPAND in all directions therfore the O2 hole will SHIRNK.

No, the bung is thicker metal than the pipe, and it expands outwards, expanding the hole. The nature of a circle makes it difficult for something to reduce its inner diameter when force is applied to it, this is the reason arches are such a strong structure. Removing O2 sensors like this works better than doing it cold, especially since, as I said earlier, the two metals heat and expand at different rates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pipe will EXPAND in all directions therfore the O2 hole will SHIRNK.

Have you or anyone disputing the tip actually tried it? It works. It worked for me, worked for others on the board, works on other vehicles. It's all pretty well known trick. Stop theorizing and try it.

Oh and while I'm not an expert at metallurgy I'm pretty sure ALL metal expands when heated....

I thought P0133 was bank 1, sensor 1 which was pre-cat, upstream on the y-pipe?

No, the bung is thicker metal than the pipe, and it expands outwards, expanding the hole. The nature of a circle makes it difficult for something to reduce its inner diameter when force is applied to it, this is the reason arches are such a strong structure. Removing O2 sensors like this works better than doing it cold, especially since, as I said earlier, the two metals heat and expand at different rates.

Not only does it work......it works best if you start with cold pipes,heat and remove PDQ (before the heat spreads fully to the sensor)

Bank 1 sensor 1 replaced, MPG improved 2 MPG. Got 14.7 mostly city driving. Not bad, and just where I think it should be. Runs smoother too.

On ALL of the Fords that I have owned for the last 20 years,whenever I change the air filter, i spray injector cleaner onto the MAF (mass air flow sensor) . The mass air flow sensor is located in the intake stream,after the air filter. The sensor gets a film buildup on it. I have never damaged one. If you are a "risk taker" you can remove it useing security torx (after marking its exact placement and of course with the engine not running)
I have encountered one MAF on a lady friends explorer that was bad. When I replaced it it was pricey because they sold only the housing and sensor as a pair.

I didn't notice the mileage increase. But after I cleaned the MAF, I noticed 1MPG increase.

Back