Ball Joints 2001 2WD V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joints 2001 2WD V8

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I've done some research on replacing upper and lower ball joints on my 2001 2WD Ex. Moog w/gusher bearings seem to be the way to go, but from what i've read the Moog upper requires changing the upper control arms to Moog as well. I see I can purchase the Moog uca with joint and bushings installed, that makes it easy, but they're rather expensive. Rockauto seems to have the best prices, O'reily's sells Moog, but i don't want to do business with them. Who else sells Moog and is this the best way to go for the uppers, or can I just replace the upper bj with a Motorcraft (or other brand) bj? Autozone lists their Duralast upper bj, but there's several listed with no clear explanation of what the difference between them is. Is there a difference in the 2WD and 4WD upper control arms and/or bj's? Some part descriptions say 4WD and some don't specify. Finally, can the upper bj even be replaced in the OE control arm? I've read threads which say they can and other's which say they can't. This seems to be a confusing subect, there's even talk about different diameter bj's and bj studs sizes and 1-piece and 2-piece right uca's . The more I'm reading the more confused I'm getting. Info with part numbers would really be helpful. So far I'm liking Moog pn K8708T left upper and K8710T 2-piece right upper from RockAuto for $50.89 an $52.79 respectively. The lower bj's aren't quite as confusing. Thanks in advance for your input!

I used the Moog gusher bearing uppers on mine, a 96 v8 explorer and I think it was the same part numbers. Ordered from Rock Auto who has consistently had the best price. I also added two caster camber bolt kits at the same time since the bolts have to come out anyway. And stablizer bar bushings and links.

For replacing just the upper ball joints, I dunno unless you go with Moog arms initially. They do make upper ball joints for replacing on the K8708T and K8710T. Doesn't fit OEM.
Other than that, its a press fit requiring the ball joint press kit with the kits varying in price. Some presses work (or not) better than others.
At least Moog gushers have zerk fittings, my primary reason for swapping to Moog upper control arms.

yeah, the moog uca's sound like the way to go. what's the deal with the 1-piece vs 2-piece upper control arms on one side? can you replace a 2-piece with a 1-piece?

yeah, the moog uca's sound like the way to go. what's the deal with the 1-piece vs 2-piece upper control arms on one side? can you replace a 2-piece with a 1-piece?

yes, i just did this job a few weeks ago. no problems. i have a 98, but i think they are the same. i didnt go with moog, i went with the cheaper dorman parts. no issues.

Back