Battery Monitoring System (BMS) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Monitoring System (BMS)

FreeFal311

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Has anyone figured out if there is a Konomi code type combination of things that can reset this without diagnostic tools? (i.e. flash the bright lights 5 times, step on the brake pedal 3 times, and whisper abracadabra while touching your tongue to your nose...oh and then buckle and unbuckle the seat belt 10 teams, all within 5 seconds) Oh, and I'm asking for a 2020 Explorer Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is you are trying to accomplsh.
Has anyone figured out if there is a Konomi code type combination of things that can reset this without diagnostic tools? (i.e. flash the bright lights 5 times, step on the brake pedal 3 times, and whisper abracadabra while touching your tongue to your nose...oh and then buckle and unbuckle the seat belt 10 teams, all within 5 seconds) Oh, and I'm asking for a 2020 Explorer Limited.

Same question. :dunno:

What is you are trying to accomplsh.

Let's just say, I'm trying to reset my BMS to see if that will make it stop reporting an undercharged battery to the Auto Start / Stop feature of the vehicle.

Let's just say, I'm trying to reset my BMS to see if that will make it stop reporting an undercharged battery to the Auto Start / Stop feature of the vehicle.

From the above referenced link, I don't know if this will apply to the 2020 Explorer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does.

From the workshop manual on Battery Replacement, referenced by a kind Ford technician on the Internet:

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the battery monitoring system reset using the scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and the (sic) may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.

Did you replace the battery? All the 2020 Owner's Manual says is that if it was replaced, the BMS requires 8 hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the new battery state of charge. I don't know if a BMS reset is required in the 6th gen.

Peter

Did you replace the battery? All the 2020 Owner's Manual says is that if it was replaced, the BMS requires 8 hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the new battery state of charge. I don't know if a BMS reset is required in the 6th gen.

Peter

I haven't replaced the battery yet. The vehicle sat for a while as I was traveling, and now the Auto Start / Stop feature is stuck in Vehicle Charging mode. I've tested the battery with a multimeter, with the vehicle off, on, and while starting. It checks out. The battery is charged, healthy, and the alternator is charging it. So, I'd like to try resetting the BMS to see if it will get it out of this state.

I haven't replaced the battery yet. The vehicle sat for a while as I was traveling, and now the Auto Start / Stop feature is stuck in Vehicle Charging mode. I've tested the battery with a multimeter, with the vehicle off, on, and while starting. It checks out. The battery is charged, healthy, and the alternator is charging it. So, I'd like to try resetting the BMS to see if it will get it out of this state.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do with FORScan, but I'd prefer to just do the Konomi code if one exists.

I have found 2 ways to correct this. I do a lot of short drives and have had this happen. Also had it happen when downloading software updates.

1. Take it for a long drive
2. Put my Battery Minder on it for a day or 2 Avoid Battery Sulfation with a Desulfating Battery Charger | BatteryMINDers

It takes a fair amount of charge time is why either of these 2 methods seem to work.

I have found 2 ways to correct this. I do a lot of short drives and have had this happen. Also had it happen when downloading software updates.

1. Take it for a long drive
2. Put my Battery Minder on it for a day or 2 Avoid Battery Sulfation with a Desulfating Battery Charger | BatteryMINDers

It takes a fair amount of charge time is why either of these 2 methods seem to work.

Thanks Dale5403! I'll give those a shot. I can confirm two new things:

1. The BMS can be reset on the 2020 Limited using this sequence: Turn ignition on without starting the engine, turn the headlights on, flash the high beams five times, step on the brake pedal three times, turn ignition off. After that, the battery icon in the instrument display should flash shortly thereafter. I believe this confirms that the BMS has been reset. Turn off ignition.

However, this did not get rid of my Vehicle Charging problem. So, I put a multimeter on the battery again,

2. Looks like my battery is hovering at 12.46V with the engine off.

Obviously, this is low. I'm thinking the Auto Start Stop feature is just sensitive to this and is legitimately viewing the battery as too weak to risk shutting the engine off on the road.

I'm curious now if anyone knows the low voltage threshold used by Auto Start Stop.

Also, how the heck do you replace the battery??? Has anyone started a thread on this? I can pull all the clips off the battery cover, and the front of it loosens. But, the back part is like glued beneath the windshield. I'm worried that pulling it off will compromise the water tightness below the windshield or something. Unbelievable that you have to tear into the cosmetic exterior trim of the vehicle just to replace the battery. Are we supposed to just try to pull the battery out with that cover bent up?

Like Dale, I also conduct many short drives. Sometimes 3 or 4 days apart but I have never had that light come on. I also don't recall the last time that the Stop/Start feature actually engaged. Must be a couple of months at least. I can tell when the battery is low because the warning chimes revert to the Ford chimes instead of being Lincoln's symphonic chimes. Also, the Securicode and approach lamps stop working. This all happens before getting a low battery warning message.

Peter

Like Dale, I also conduct many short drives. Sometimes 3 or 4 days apart but I have never had that light come on. I also don't recall the last time that the Stop/Start feature actually engaged. Must be a couple of months at least. I can tell when the battery is low because the warning chimes revert to the Ford chimes instead of being Lincoln's symphonic chimes. Also, the Securicode and approach lamps stop working. This all happens before getting a low battery warning message.

Peter

Peter, look through your Information Center screen menu and see if you have an Auto Start Stop status screen. Curious to know if yours shows that message, assuming you have the screen. It will revert to that message after you've driven a short distance and apply the brake to stop. It may not show the message when you first start.

2. Looks like my battery is hovering at 12.46V with the engine off.

Obviously, this is low. I'm thinking the Auto Start Stop feature is just sensitive to this and is legitimately viewing the battery as too weak to risk shutting the engine off on the road.

I'm curious now if anyone knows the low voltage threshold used by Auto Start Stop.

If the BMS works the same as it does on my F150, the determination on when to use start stop isn't only based on battery voltage. If the BMS in its estimation believes the battery is below 70% fully charged, it will not engage start stop. The determination on the battery charge state is compiled from multiple items, including battery voltage, voltage drop while sitting (the 8 hour reset), battery age, and how its accepting a charge. Theres a ton of info on the BMS system over on the F150 sites...

When my battery on my F150 has sat for a while, its taken a LOT of driving to kick it back into engaging start stop - it is not just go take one long drive and it works... Currently at year 5.5 on the OEM battery in my F150... (2.7 with start stop).

If the BMS works the same as it does on my F150, the determination on when to use start stop isn't only based on battery voltage. If the BMS in its estimation believes the battery is below 70% fully charged, it will not engage start stop. The determination on the battery charge state is compiled from multiple items, including battery voltage, voltage drop while sitting (the 8 hour reset), battery age, and how its accepting a charge. Theres a ton of info on the BMS system over on the F150 sites...

When my battery on my F150 has sat for a while, its taken a LOT of driving to kick it back into engaging start stop - it is not just go take one long drive and it works... Currently at year 5.5 on the OEM battery in my F150... (2.7 with start stop).

Thanks MNgopher! This is really helpful. Based on this I'm thinking I may stop troubleshooting it is as a problem and just accept the behavior as intended based on the age / condition of my battery. It's also reassuring to know that it may in fact take a good bit of driving after sitting for a while.

Using forscan I was able to reset BMS on my 15' ford escape. I have not checked the 2020explorer for bms but have you tried that?

Back