Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Ive been looking for a winch to get but havent made up my mind yet. needs to be under $1100 or so. This will be going on my 93 ranger. Before anyone one says warn 8274 it wont happen. It is just to big and I cant make a bumper to house it and keep it tight to the body due to the size. So far I am looking at 3 different warn ones. The M8000, the 9.5xp or the 9.5ti. I like the m8000 and the xp because the soilnoid pack is external so it gives more options for mounting. it closer to the body. The ti however is pretty nice unit as well. So which would you run and why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you set on Warn products? Why not Ramsey, or Milemarker?

Im not 100% set on warn but I have used them in the past with never a problem and alot of people I wheel with have Warn winches and they have never let them down. The only price restraint is that I find it for under $1100. I want the best of the best winch for under $1100. I dont need the best bang for the buck just simpily the best. I feel that a winch isnt one of the best areas to save a few pennies then be screwed when it doesnt work when you need it the most. Plus when the boss says pick out any winch you want for your truck and we will get it for you and then follows it up with "and it doesnt have to be a cheap one. Make sure it is a good one" it kind of changes the view of how you determine which one to get.

I think Rick and jefe are the only people I wheel with that dont have warns. As far as I know they have worked well for them. However I wheeled with a lot of people that have warns and they have always had good luck with them. Some of these people have the same one from 35 years ago and its still working great. It would take alot to convince me to with another manufacturer though.

the 9.5ti is supposed to be like the platinum winch in a field of gold winches.....

I've used my Ramsey 9000 plenty of times over the past 10 years or so without any trouble. I bought it because of it's price and specs.

I like my XD9000i. It is a great winch and I have never heard a bad thing about them. I got it because it was 9000lb capacity, integrated solenoid and it was a good price compared to the other Warns. The TI winches are nice if you have the extra $ to spend on it.

I also have a t-max 9000lb that I got new for a great deal from one of their dealers. It looks to be a decent winch and well built. I have it mounted on my dedicated trail rig. Cant say how well it performs though as I have not used it yet.

Hey Brian, your Jeep is looking excellent! Have you taken it out yet??

Warn HS9500i here. I went with it totally because of the speed. I didnot want a slow winch that I was constantly haveing to wait on if I was trying to drive/winch at the same time. Even though it is the integrated type, I was able to tuck it up really tightly on my explorer just by cutting a little of the grill and using dead space in there.

From looking at the specs of the warns it looks like 9500xp would fit my needs the best. I did pull up the specs on the Ramsey patriot 9500 as well. Seems to have a line pull speed of an inch or two faster a minute and when at full pull draws about 30 amps less. I think it will be one of those two. Will have to do more reasearch on which one to get. Or see if I can talk the boss into a tube bender or plasma cutter instead :D

Thanks for the offer dominican but I dont think the Tabor fits my needs as well as the others. It has a slower line speed and draws a ton more amps then warn or ramsey.

Rick said:
I've used my Ramsey 9000 plenty of times over the past 10 years or so without any trouble. I bought it because of it's price and specs.

My dad has a Ramsey 9000 as well, we use to use it for pulling a haywagon up on to a flatbed.

The only problems he's had is the remote dosn't make a very good conection. so time you have to mess with it for awhile, but it does work.

hehehe.. I'm the dork.

Harbor Freight 8000lb winch, $299 when on sale.

:D

Yea, but you can buy three for the price of one.

One for the front, one for the rear, and a trail spare. :D

Rick said:
Hey Brian, your Jeep is looking excellent! Have you taken it out yet??

Thanks Rick. No havent taken it out yet. Still have a few things left to do mainly finishing the steering system and regearing. Maybe another month or 2.

I have used Warn in the past. I had a 6000 on my 86 Ranger. I would go with either a warn or a Ramsey.

Tim

If you want Ramsey let me know. I can get through work and get them at cost. I'd direct ship from Ramsey too. I like helping out where I can. USUALLY it's about 40% off of list.

hey captain, i am looking to buy a winch too..how much could you get a 9500 for? (or if there is a better, or cheaper alternative that would work) Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back