BFG KM2 Load Range E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG KM2 Load Range E

I am fixing to install 4 of these on my 1996 Explorer. Size will be 285-751-16

Do you think this is going to be a rough tire since it is not a D rating? I love the Mud terrains, but havent put an E tire on my Explorers before.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gmanpaint runs a similar tire on the street , he will tell you about them,,

I can't speak for the km's but I had the same size and load range on my 2001 ranger in a BFG AT. They road rough. I ran them about 3 yrs and kept them at about 30psi. I think max load is 65psi. They wore pretty evenly.

4583980080_large.jpg

I am fixing to install 4 of these on my 1996 Explorer. Size will be 285-751-16

Do you think this is going to be a rough tire since it is not a D rating? I love the Mud terrains, but havent put an E tire on my Explorers before.

Thanks,

E rated tires are going to ride really rough. I'm run Load Range E's on the Van and I can really tell the difference compared to the D's I had on before.

~Mark

gmanpaint runs a similar tire on the street , he will tell you about them,,

I have the "C" rated KM2, so I cant speak for the "E" rated series. The "C" have great road handling, and the sidewalls stay firm on high speed corners. They are pretty loud, compared to A/T, but you get used to it.

Know another user on the Board that has E rated tires on his SD and is getting ready to take them off and go back to D rated tires.

Hmmmm.

E rated tires are pointless on an Explorer unless you are just doing max towing capacity most of the time, with all the stuff for the max towing ability for an Explorer. (V8, low gears, etc. etc.) As mentioned, they are going to ride rough even with low pressure, and will probably suck mileage even worse than a regular M/T with the additional weight. It doesn't sound so bad at first, but it gets old after awhile. Even more so on a daily driver.

The main reason BFG makes that load range E M/T is for the full sizes and duallies that want the fashion of a the M/T even though they just tow on the road. I suppose it would make a lot of sense for a contractor or construction vehicle that needs the load capacity and the traction in dirt and mud, but they seem to go with commercial-grade tires, and usually highway or all-season treads at that.

I would stick with C range tires, or D's at most, for an Explorer.

If you're getting E rated tires because they are free or super cheap, maybe the rough ride and additional weight will be worth it, but if I were going with a deal like that I'd rather flip them for a profit and then get the C/D range tires.

Back