BFG Mud Terrain on Stock '96 sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG Mud Terrain on Stock '96 sport?

Hi all, Im a new member and this is my first post. Great website!

I've had my Explorer running fairly smooth on the stock firestones and then swithced to the bridgestone dueler AT's. Both tires performed fairly well (more flats than I expected) but Im looking to add a more aggressive tread (also need to tow a 4000+lb. boat).

I've looked at BFG, Cooper, and the wrangler MTR, but really like the look of the BFG mud-terrains. They offer the same size tire as my stock 255-70R-16s.

As most of the tire dimensions look very similar, Do I still need to add a lift kit? Also, I drive this truck all of the time. Will the tread noise drive me insane? No pund intended:D

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok....welcome to the site. BFG's are one of the better tires out there, so a good choice. if you are going to have the same tire size as stock, then no lift will be needed at all. in fact, you could run up to a 31" tire with no lift. also, keep in mind that an Add A Leaf or AAL kit will only lift the REAR of your truck 1.5-2.5" but as long as you are going to stay at 31" or below, tire wise, this will not be needed. good luck and let the modifications begin! and as for the tread, it won't drive you insane, but you WILL be able to hear it, if thats not something you're into, then an all terrain would be your best bet.

White96x,

Great, thanks for the info! I also have a white 96x. Have some secrets for keeping her as white as possible if interested...basically use mcguires 1-2-3 system...the first step (paint cleaner) is the key.

Yes, I drive about 400 miles every weekend to the coast, so noise is an issue, but im ready to put up with it. I use the truck down on the beach on occasion for fishing and stuff, and Im tired of the whimpy tire look. Thanks again for your help:)

ya man go with a mud terrain all the way, i've dealt with the noise as well....and about the white '96 explorer (read my signiture) it got totalled....i drive a dark blue '97 eddie bauer now....later

yup, gotcha...ouch, that hurts. Later. Thnks again.

since it sounds like you're still gonig to be doing alot of on-road driving and long trips you may want to consider the BFG All Terrain T/A KO's...they still have a very aggressive tread but will perform much better on-road in terms of handling, etc...

not sure but mud tires may look funny on an unlifted truck??

Get a set of cheap wheels and mount the mud tires on them. Thats what I plan on doing. I'm going to keep my BFG long trail t/a for commuting and stuff and use a set of Dunlop Mudrovers on a set of cheap steel rims to go wheeling in. I might have to change tires out but I rather do that then waste the thread on the Mudrovers on the street.

Originally posted by white96x
also, keep in mind that an Add A Leaf or AAL kit will only lift the REAR of your truck 1.5-2.5" but as long as you are going to stay at 31" or below, tire wise, this will not be needed.

He has a sport... AKA monoleaf. AAL will NOT work on a monoleaf.

Anyways if you like the look of the M/T then GET IT! I liked the look of the big-o bigfoot X/T and so I bought them. Rugged tires dont look bad on a stock vehicle and they also perform really well off road.

Stock tire for stock tire will fit fine. I have two sets of Mountaineer wheels, the first set for my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos and the 2nd set for my Mud Kings. Mud Kings are supposed to be similar to the BFG Mud Terrains, so they are probably just as noisy, but it didn't bother my in town. Wet weather and handling was pretty good, but the Revo's (and probably most All-Terrains) are a better tire for highway use. I'd for sure have two sets of wheels as mud tires can be expensive to run all the time. I'm not saying to change tires all the time, but I'd change to the mud during your regular usage season(s) and use a set of all-terrains or highway-terrains the rest of the time.

Back