Sedition

Engine Repair Guy
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Geelong, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT SOHC
Hi, I've owned my 2nd Gen Explorer for about 5 years now and love it to death.:exp: We've been through thick and thin together.
"Old Girl" as I fondly refer to it. But you know what? I'm sick of the SOHC V6. Also where I'm living there ain't any beaches to drive on, legally anyways, so I never use the 4wd.
So I think I should mod my belove'd 2nd gen into a 2wd Monster V8.
Now keeping in mind down here on the lower edge of AU it's cold as hell even in the summer time so I plan to strip the engine bay of all unnecessary items, like Aircon ect.. to make way for my monster mill. (Carbed)

I'm just unsure as to what will actually fit in there? Ideally I like to shoehorn in a 460 big block with a tunnel ram and 2x Holley 750 double pumpers.:D

But I'm unsure as to just how long that engine would be, I'd like to not have the engine fan rubbing up against the back of the fender, lol:scratch:

I've already sold my recently rebuilt SOHC V6 engine, on a job for $3300 installed. So I gotta get crackin':eek:

What is the biggest engine you guys have seen in a second gen over in the States?:usa:

And what do you think I can wedge in there with a plasma cutter, mig welder and car lift at my disposal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd think a 351 would be about as big as you could go, but I think I did hear of someone "shoehorning" a 460 in a first Gen 2wd once, so it could be possible. Definitely get a lot of use from your plasma cutter and a good welder, though!

The engine bay length is very tight for the small blocks, the V8 radiator mounts slightly under the radiator support, giving less than 3.5" of space for a fan(that is using the super short Explorer 302 front dress). A BBF is a bad idea given the space.

The space for exhaust manifolds is the big deal for other shorter engines, the frame and UCA's are right next to where the manifolds need to be. The V6 is a 70* engine so it has plenty of room, you can see that. The 351W brings the head ports out 1.3", which helps with space for the manifolds.

I'd do a stroker 351, and not with Windsor heads. You there in Australia surely can locate some decent Cleveland heads.

Many have put 351W's in, so with some work on the pan they can fit. The AC box will likely have to be cut, the oil pan, and exhaust manifolds will have to be fabricated in some way. To use the Explorer 302 front dress is hard with the 351W, given the 50oz balancer. For Cleveland heads the accessory brackets wouldn't bolt on, maybe they could be modified(or buy CHI 3V heads with the Cleveland end head bolt holes).

The 351W block is easy to stroke out to 427CI, or 408 or 418 etc.

A 2WD truck with any big power would be fun, but the 4WD could gain extra traction, depending on where it's used or needed.

If you're interested I saw a 460 for sale on Boost Cruisin'.

The late model Aussie V8s went back to the sausage motor so you should be good there, but they've got a lot of stuff hanging off them.

The late Explorer V8s are the 5.4 which takes up a lot of space but I don't know if the gen 3 engine bay is any different.

Your new engine will have to comply with the same ADRs as the old one did to keep Vic Roads happy.

You know what's probably easiest? An LS1 or 2.

Or a turbo Territory, but I don't think the you can get them in 2wd. They come with a good trans though.

engine%20sizes_zpsesb8hyjw.png

I think these measurements are fully dressed? Well at least I hope so.

Lucky I'm going to junk my dana 35 with the 460 tipping the scales at 720lbs!

Now from where my clapped out 5r55e currently sits, 34" puts the fan right up against the air con condenser. I think with ditching the AC and cutting some of the front out it might just shoehorn into place.:hammer::sawzall:

There was a guy a couple of hours away from me with a 460 attached to a C6 I might see if I can find him and go measure it up.

LS1 swaps are very common around here and I'd really like to keep her a blue blood.:thumbsup:

hmmm.. Those ADR's have me a little concerned now that I've briefly gone over them.

You know it's funny, once your car is registered here in the 'freedom state' it never again needs a safety certificate until someone else buys it from you.

What about a coyote or ecoboost? I'm pretty sure the coyote 5.0 doesn't fit but I think the 3.5 ecoboost is smaller. And turbo :)

If the project could be EFI, then the options are better to look at the OEM 3.5 twin turbo, is the Taurus SHO available there?

if you could find a cheap coyote, I would do that. but slapping a big block in a 2nd gen is definitely something I would love to see :D. considering the the added weight to the front of the vehicle, I would think that an upgraded front suspension is a good idea

are you looking for bling or hp. if your looking for hp, and have the $$$ i'd do a 363 stroker, and ditch all the efi stuff

engine%20sizes_zpsesb8hyjw.png

hmmm.. Those ADR's have me a little concerned now that I've briefly gone over them.

You know it's funny, once your car is registered here in the 'freedom state' it never again needs a safety certificate until someone else buys it from you.

Then there's insurance.

We don't have yearly inspections here either, instead we have roadside random inspections.
Never been stopped at one.

You're never gonna get carbs past ADRs. LPG will though as long as it's dedicated.
Not as bad as you might think, it's about 120 octane.

You're never gonna get carbs past ADRs. LPG will though as long as it's dedicated.
Not as bad as you might think, it's about 120 octane.

Yeah I have 2 gas Falcons, one dual and one dedicated. It's actually not a bad fuel and at 50c/litre here in VIC it's a very cheap way to get around.

Modern Explorer/Taurus

If the project could be EFI, then the options are better to look at the OEM 3.5 twin turbo, is the Taurus SHO available there?

I have it on good authority that with the demise of the Falcon/territory and Commodore the Explorer/Taurus will be back here 2016/17 after a 10 year hiatus. :salute:

I can't wait to get my hands on one of those eco-boosts and see what they're made of..:)

The Dodge Ram will be available here in 2016 (being converted to RHD at the old HSV plant) and I believe after ford see the sales figures on the RAM then we'd be looking at the all mighty F250 once again.
Now contrary to popular belief the Taiwanese made Ranger isn't going to fill the boots of every Falcon and commodore Ute (pickup) that are no longer in production.

So to answer your question: Not yet.

are you looking for bling or hp. if your looking for hp, and have the $$$ i'd do a 363 stroker, and ditch all the efi stuff

Nah, I'm not into bling. Even my Tux has grease stains on it. I'm doing it purely for the cubes. It'll be a weekend driver and may run down a drag strip occasionally, but just for fun.:roll::thumbsup:

The 460 is a great engine, and the earlier than about 1974 stuff is the best. Here the later versions got crappy heads, and intakes, poor valvetrain components etc. You can make do with them, but if you can get any oldest model parts, do that.

The 429/460 blocks from back then can be bored to .080 over without checking, and with sonic checking up to .160 over.

BTW, the 460 takes the same distributor as a Cleveland, and I have a low mileage Mallory Unilite, likely to never be used. That's about the only 429/460 parts I have, besides lifters that are too, the same.

For the SHO, hunt some of the videos online, those look like a blast with a little boost of the boost, 500hp. I've come to like the new Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, but neither of those get that 3.5 TT engine. I might have to find a used car some day and a donor SHO, and make it happen.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back