blank display

michael s

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountaineer
Hi,

I am new to this forum... I have a 98 Mountaineer and the display on the radio just went blank all other functions work well. I have followed other instructions and resoldered (r1057,r1058, r1067, c1071 and c1083) and the display is still blank... can you help me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a very common problem.

Your best fix is to replace it with an aftermarket HU.

Good luck ....

Your best fix is to replace the headunit with an aftermarket headunit-

Dude.. Take out the whole assembly and shake it and bang it a little from behind. Also wiggle the antenna cord... Worked for mine.. Ciao

Dude.. Take out the whole assembly and shake it and bang it a little from behind. Also wiggle the antenna cord... Worked for mine.. Ciao
Well it won't work for mine

I burned it in my woodstove I was so mad :D

All very interesting but noy very helpful...

you can pay to have your factory radio fixed..but for the cost of that you may as well buy an aftermarket radio and install that and junk the factory radio.....

Will the steering wheel radio controls work with an aftermarket unit? I have the same problem with no radio display, but I love the steering wheel controls.

not unless you buy some sort of adapter which cost $$$.....all my radios have remotes...lol

however, the adaptors are not cheap. I have a touch screen dvd and gps system double din in dash. I don't think after spending cash like that, an extra 50 bones would really matter...

i was told it would cost me about $200 for the adapter and install

As mentioned, search for 'Radio Display' and all your questions will have answers.

The short version is you can try to repair it yourself, but if you aren't experienced at soldering items to printed circuit boards, this is best left to a pro. A second option is to have the offending circuit board repaired or replaced. I sent mine to PacificAudioTech.com and it's worked like a charm for almost a year now (Costs $75). The third option is, of course, replace it with an aftermarket unit. I personally don't know of any high-quality units for under $100... as with anything, you get what you pay for.

-Joe

Mine went out about 3 years ago, and I was going to buy an aftermarket unit, but didn't want to give up the steering wheels controls... so I searched on ebay and found a company that tkaes your radio and fixes it. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was reasonable, and it still works.

Will the steering wheel radio controls work with an aftermarket unit? I have the same problem with no radio display, but I love the steering wheel controls.

Me too. I love the steering wheel controls. I recently installed a Kenwood HU that has a blue/white wire sticking out of it specifically for steering wheel controls. Isn't there a wire from the Ford that I could hook that up to and make them work with my new HU? and what color would it be? Not sure why I would need to purchase an aftermarket adapter if my HU offers the connection?

You may still need an interface to connect the HU to the OEM controls. Detailed information should be in the paperwork with the new HU, and more info should be available on the Kenwood web site.

You may still need an interface to connect the HU to the OEM controls. Detailed information should be in the paperwork with the new HU, and more info should be available on the Kenwood web site.

There was no detailed info in the manual. and the Kenwood web site is not very good either. Well, like I said I've got a wire sticking out of my hu and there had to be a wire installed with my factory radio so why couldn't I hook up the same wires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back