Block Heater | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK. I definitely do NOT have the block heater installed.

Can anyone else from Colorado check and see if they do or do not have it?

I thought I saw the list of "cold-weather" states somewhere, and Colorado was included.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was down to -7F here this a.m. so spouse wanted to be sure the plug was available in case she had to go out. Can't believe they mounted it the way it is so it's not easily available to drivers without opening the hood or having to make a modification. My F150 has it hanging right out of the bumper, easy to tuck behind during summer and access in winter.

Living up here in northern MN folks use block or oil pan heaters nearly everyday from mid-December to mid-February. Yes, our company parking lot has electrical outlets on the light poles so everyone can plug in while at work.

Going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say about how to route it.

I believe that some members have been successful in fishing it through the grill.

The block heaters I've come across has always been short, but not that super short.

It's always funny when I remember arriving home in the garage and find the plug hanging out the grille because I forgot to unplug it from the AC jack at school.

It's even funnier when I see other cars have cables dangling!

I wonder if I can add the parts to mine to give me the same block heater.
I looked in the online parts catalog and could not find it.
Has anyone done this?
Dealers are usually able to add the factory ones.
We got my wife's Taurus used, it was originally purchased in Canada and has a block heater. It rarely gets THAT cold here in PA but it is pretty sweet to have heat out of the heater so fast.

Dealers are usually able to add the factory ones.
We got my wife's Taurus used, it was originally purchased in Canada and has a block heater. It rarely gets THAT cold here in PA but it is pretty sweet to have heat out of the heater so fast.

That would be a good reason to have a block heater installed. If it can be rigged to turn the cabin heater on as well, it would be awesome to walk into a nicely warmed up cabin and the engine ready to go.

I've had pleasure of experiencing very cold temperatures when I forgot to plug the block heater in and the engine would not start.

Block heaters replace one of the freeze plugs. They only warm the coolant in the block
(although heavy truck heaters do circulate it), but it turns over faster and the air from the heater is lukewarm to start with and gets hot pretty quick. I will plug it in if it's colder than 20* to 25*F

Took another look and decided to just unclip two clips and just lay it on top poking out on the passenger side just above the headlight and then close the hood. Seems to be just fine laying like that, the hood closed without any problem. May try and figure out how to zip tie it so it won't move around when I open the hood to fill washer fluid over the winter. Plenty of cord outside so I can plug the electrical cord into it.

Haven't needed it yet, hard to believe that the weatherman is saying 45 degrees F here tomorrow. All the old guys say the winter of 1969 began just like this and then the floor dropped out with record setting cold and snow the rest of winter. Lake of the Woods claimed a truck this past week, and a friend fell through up to his waist. I won't be taking my snowmobiles out on the ice to do anyice fishing till mid-January at this rate.

Just moved mine back under the hood after not using it one time this winter since we never got those "normal" temps this year. Strange winter, due to see 48 this week per forecast.

Just moved mine back under the hood after not using it one time this winter since we never got those "normal" temps this year. Strange winter, due to see 48 this week per forecast.

I've never used mine, either. Remote start works great for cold morning warm-ups.

Eccoboost engine block heater

I recently received my 14 Explorer Sport. Does it have a block heater as standard equipment? Or do I need to have one installed? Or is the engine Just fine in cold weather?

Thanks

Block heaters are standard in cold weather states. I think that your window sticker will say whether you have one or a little research will turn up the list of states. I did not use mine last winter in northern Wisconsin, but my vehicle is usually garaged.

I recently received my 14 Explorer Sport. Does it have a block heater as standard equipment? Or do I need to have one installed? Or is the engine Just fine in cold weather?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum flowergirl1978.:wavey:
As WiEx mentioned, the Window Sticker should show if you have a block heater or not. Also you can do a physical check to see if you have one.
See my post #18 in this thread for the location of the plug and its cover.
As mentioned in my PM to you, I have merged your thread/post with an existing one on the same topic;

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.:thumbsup:

Peter

Brrrr.... please help! It's -40c here right now, and I can't find the block heater plugin on our 14' Sport (ecoboost v6).

I've found some other threads on here about this same issue, but the pictures all seem to show different engine models, but not the ecoboost.

Found the one on my 13' F-150 ecoboost no problem.... the Explorer has me stumped!! :scratch:

I found mine last night. It's clipped up near the yellow oil cap. Look around that area and you will see a cord that can be in clipped. My exp barely started last evening without it and it's colder today eh.

I found mine last night. It's clipped up near the yellow oil cap. Look around that area and you will see a cord that can be in clipped. My exp barely started last evening without it and it's colder today eh.

Yep, it's official. I think they forgot my block heater. I removed the ecoboost cover to get a better view. There is no plug anywhere around the oil cap (just a clip with no wire in it)

Brrrr.... please help! It's -40c here right now, and I can't find the block heater plugin on our 14' Sport (ecoboost v6).

I've found some other threads on here about this same issue, but the pictures all seem to show different engine models, but not the ecoboost.

Found the one on my 13' F-150 ecoboost no problem.... the Explorer has me stumped!! :scratch:
Here is a picture of where it should be, assuming you have one that is.
The block heater cord is the one with the white AC tag on it.

Peter

PB220269a.jpg

Mine was close to that as well, you should see the round plug clipped somewhere on the front of the motor area. I took a pic but these forums will not allow me to post it from my phone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing to note though, the cable was thick enough I did not want to slam the good down on it, so I had to leave it just partially hooked, and like this the remote start will not function. Have to sort something out so the plug is accessible with the good closed. That's a job for a time when it's not -40.

Back